Infertility
Options

Ladies that have used agonist protocols with birth control prior to stims?

panda100panda100 member
edited October 2014 in Infertility
Hi 'Im interested in what your response was when using birth control pills prior to starting an antagonist cycle? I am going over the data of my cycles and I am starting to see that bad things happen to me when I have used lupron. A lot of REs overlap the last few days of birth control with lupron, like in the long lupron protocol because some believe that birth control can suppress the early recruitment of follicles since recruitment of follicles is actually done by the body in the week prior to menstruation. Then some doctors do not believe this. I have learned the most throughout this expensive, stressful terrible journey from you all. . What would we do without each other, seriously? So if you used birth control pills without a lupron overlap prior to starting a stims and then used an antagonist like ganirelix or cetrotide to suppress premature ovulation in your cycles, could you please share with me how many follicles you had, how many eggs were retrieved, how many mature, how many fertilized and how many made it to day 3 and blastocysts stage? Oh and how long you were on the pill? While I know we are all different learning from you ladies has really been a great help and I appreciate it so so much. I love you all for everything. The support, the information. You're all great. Thank you. :-*

Re: Ladies that have used agonist protocols with birth control prior to stims?

• Options
    I am a poor responder, so my results are going to be atypical. However, I can report that lupron shuts me down hard! My estrogen never rose from where it was at baseline after 8 days of stims. My current RE does not believe that BCPs suppress you....I know that others disagree, so we are seeking some second opinions.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    You might be on to something. I'm on my second cycle and I have even less follies going than last time. Last time they were watching 11 follies, but could only take 6. This time I only have 6 going so far.
    This cycle I had to do BCPs for 33 days. I'm going to look into Lupron, despite hearing it turns nice girls into Lucifer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    During my monitoring I always counted 12-15 follies being measured. I had 9 retrieved, 6 fertilized and 4 of those were normal. Two were a day 3 transfer and the other two were frozen blasts.

I did BCPs then stimmed with Gonal-F and used diluted HCG at the same time. I added in Ganirelix along the way. I had already used Gonal-F for IUI cycles, so we already knew that I responded well to it. The goal at my RE's office is 8-12 eggs so they don't go crazy pumping you with meds to make a ton of eggs.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    12-15 follicles, 13R9M8F, Day 3=8 embryos, Day5= 1 low grade blast and 3 morulas, nothing to freeze

We are trying the long-lupron protocol this time in hopes of better embryo quality.
    Me 27 DH 29 Married since 2007, together since 2001
    Off BC since Febuary 2006 3 Clomid Cycles in 2008- symptomatic, US just showed a tilted uterus, otherwise normal, HSG normal.  DH has an ejaculatory duct obstruction and a congenital absence of the vas deferens.  This is common with cystic fibrosis carriers, but he doesn't have cystic fibrosis. IVF #1 with TESE/ICSI (Antagonist protocol) Aug 2014=BFN (poor embryo quality)   IVF #2 ICSI long lupron protocol November 2014
    imageimage
  • Options
    I used BCP without a lupron overlap. I don't think it suppressed me. I had 12 eggs retrieved but I had maturity issues. Out of the 4 mature eggs they retrieved I had 100% fertilization and one blast at the end. That's pretty good for 4 eggs.
  • Options
    @panda100 - my dose was 10 units using an insulin syringe. I believe that is the equivalent of 0.1 mL. If I remember correctly, the does never changed.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    I did BCPs, then stimmed with 225 IU follistim for 5 days. Then 150 IU follistim + 75-150 IU menopur, and ganirelix. I had a great cycle! 14R, 13F with ICSI, and we ended up with 8 blasts to freeze on day 5.
    Me: 32, DH: 38
    married since June 2008
    TTC since March 2013
    8/2013: SA normal, my bloodwork indicated pituitary hormone imblance
    10/2013: anovulatory
    11/2013: anovulatory
    12/2013 - 3/2014: unmonitored Clomid cycles with TI, all bfn
    04/2014: HSG normal
    05/2014: Clomid + IUI, bfn;
    bloodwork retested and results normal
    06/2014: 1st monitored cycle with RE: Clomid cd3-7 (no growing follies), 
    Femara cd 10-14 (2 follies), ovidrel trigger cd17, IUI, bfn, polyp discovered during u/s
    07/2014: polypectomy
    08/2014: Follistim (50-75 iu/day) cd 2-14 (2 follies), Ovidrel cd15, IUI, crinone
    10/2014: IVF #1, 14R, 13F, 8 blasts. Freeze all due to super enlarged ovaries and a week of bed rest 
    11/2014: FET #1
  • Options
    I was on BCP for 17 days and just started gonal-f 225 units last night.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options

I don't seem to respond well to stims, so my results are probably not typical.  My clinic also batches IVF patients so you have to be on BCP.  I was 30 when we did our first cycle and will turn 32 a few weeks after our 4th cycle.  My AMH has been good 1.8-2.2 and day 3 FSH 5-7.  Here are my stats:

IVF #1 (Long Lupron with BCP overlap.  Lower dose stim Follistim 150-300IU I believe) 6R, 5M, 3F, 0B transfer canceled.

IVF #2 (Agonist/Antagonist Conversion, it's a SIRM protocol. Start with lupron, but switch to Ganirelix before stims.  Higher doses of Follistim 300-450IU I believe) 8R, 7M, 5F, 1B Chemical Pregnancy

IVF #3 (Agonist/Antagonist Conversion. Higher doses of Follistim 375-525IU) 8R, 8M, 8F, 2B Negative beta

I am currently starting IVF #4 which will be the same protocol again, but also with estrogen priming.  My stims will be upped again, Follistim will be 375-600IU.  We are also adding treatment with a RI into the mix.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    I did antagonist protocol in August. I had a BFN but it was the first protocol that got me to an ER and ET. I had two prior cancelations for dominant follicle/poor response. 

My protocol was pretty typical. Started with  21/2 weeks of BCPs. Three days after stopping the BCP, I stimmed with 2 vials of menpur in the morning and 300 units of Follistim at night, plus dexamethasone. I started ganirelix on day 7 of stims. I stimmed for 10 days. Had 13 eggs, 9 mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. All 8 grew, but none hit blastocyst. We transferred 3 = 1 morula and 2 early blasts. Resulted in BFN and nothing made it to freeze. 

Good luck!

TTC since 11/09
    me: 39 DH: 36  
    dx: unexplained (ugh) 

January 2011 - December 2012: 4 cycles w/Clomid; 9 IUIs w/Follistim & Menopur;  two IVF cycles converted to IUI (poor response/dominant follicle) 

August 2014 IVF (antagonist protocol: Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix, dexamethasone): 13 eggs, 9 mature, 8 fertilized w/ICSI; 0 frozen, 3 transferred day 5 = BFN

October 2014 IVF (micro-lupron protocol: mircrolupron, Menopur, Follistim, dexamethasone): 8 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI; 3 transferred day 3 = BFP! Beta 1=121; Beta 2=287; Beta 3 =678. Miscarriage @ 8w2d. :(
  • Options
    ddvj79ddvj79 member
    edited October 2014
    I am doing antagonist protocol with microdose Hcg right now. (450 IU follistim + 20 HcG)
    This is generally used for poor responders & they focus on getting a fewer but higher quality eggs.
    My RE said my Estrogen levels are doing well & I have exceeded her expectations...I was terrible during IUIs, barely made 1 follicle...
    She also said while I was making more follicles that she expected, they are growing very slowly!

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• Options
    @panda100 sorry for the delayed response! I was on BCP for 3.5 weeks.
    Me: 32, DH: 38
    married since June 2008
    TTC since March 2013
    8/2013: SA normal, my bloodwork indicated pituitary hormone imblance
    10/2013: anovulatory
    11/2013: anovulatory
    12/2013 - 3/2014: unmonitored Clomid cycles with TI, all bfn
    04/2014: HSG normal
    05/2014: Clomid + IUI, bfn;
    bloodwork retested and results normal
    06/2014: 1st monitored cycle with RE: Clomid cd3-7 (no growing follies), 
    Femara cd 10-14 (2 follies), ovidrel trigger cd17, IUI, bfn, polyp discovered during u/s
    07/2014: polypectomy
    08/2014: Follistim (50-75 iu/day) cd 2-14 (2 follies), Ovidrel cd15, IUI, crinone
    10/2014: IVF #1, 14R, 13F, 8 blasts. Freeze all due to super enlarged ovaries and a week of bed rest 
    11/2014: FET #1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"