October 2014 Moms
Options

Anybody else have zero response to Pitocin/Cervidil? (and asking for T/P and positive thoughts!)

Long background: With DS1, I went in for a voluntary induction at 41 weeks. Checked in Th night at 2cm, 75% effaced and used Cervidil that night. ZERO change when they checked me in the morning. Started me low and slow on pit, increasing every 30-40 minutes. After 8 hours on pit I was still 2cm, and 80% effaced. My uterus was hypersaturated, so that night they tried a Foley bulb. It worked. Started pit again Sat AM, water broke on it's own that afternoon, hit a 10 around 1 am Sunday but baby was still at +1 station. Labored down 2 hours, then pushed for 3 hours and he never came lower. They finally called CS at 6am (which got delayed TWICE as I was literally being rolled to the OR bc there were true emergencies coming in the door). Baby finally born 9:47 am Sunday. It was a terrible experience. (PS, he was sunny side up, 9-5 and so stuck the nurse had to go up my vag during the CS to unstick him.)

**DS1 is due this Sunday. I go to a MW group that is VBAC supportive, but the DR'S in the group are less so. I am currently 4cm, 70% effaced, with a "beautiful, soft cervix". My MW is surprised I haven't gone into labor on my own, and really wants to maximize my chances for a VBAC. That means we need a VBAC supportive DR from the group to also be on call when I go into labor. This Thursday the stars are aligning, so on Wed I will get my membranes stripped for the 3rd time, go on a loooong walk, get a massage, etc hard core. If I am just having contractions they can measure, then they'll admit me and the DR will let the MW try some pitocin/augment labor before considering a RCS. This feels like an answer to my prayers, but part of me is nervous my body won't respond to the pit AGAIN, which could mean a possible RCS now or they might send me home and I end up waiting until 41 weeks when I'll have to do a RCS anyways.**

Anybody have a similar experience? Hopeful /happy thoughts to help relieve this stress? Any other VBACers in a similar place? TIA and sorry for the length.

Re: Anybody else have zero response to Pitocin/Cervidil? (and asking for T/P and positive thoughts!)

• Options
    I don't have any personal experience but I wanted to wish you good luck and T&P for having a VBAC!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My doctors used cervadil on Monday night and I also had a very poor response. They then used cytotec which after the second dose caused me to have strong contractions and my water broke so we were able to skip the pitocin. My doctor said that medications like cervadil and cytotec do the same things but each patients body responds differently and yhey have to figure out what works. I hope your doctors find something that will work for you and that you have a successful VBAC and positive birth experience.

Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice but hope everything goes well for you. Your first birth experience is almost exactly what I went through with DD this past week. FWIW the drs that I worked with said that her being sunny side up impeded dilation and effacement and she probably would never have labored down no matter how much cytotec/pitocin they gave me. Maybe baby's position will be different this time around for you
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    I didn't have zero response, but I had a very slow response to pit.  DS1 wasn't sunny side up, but he was turned sideways (head down, but facing the side instead of behind), so they believe that is why my response was so slow.  The uterus was contracting, but because of his position and broad shoulders (DS was a big baby), they weren't "productive" contractions.  I was still able to move quite a bit in bed even though I had an epidural, so we tried several maneuvers to get him down, all fours and squatting were the most productive, and they did some turning while I pushed for 4.5 hours, but I was able to deliver vaginally.  Do they think they think the pit was ineffective because of baby's position or was it because your body just didn't respond?
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    No advice, but T&P for you. Your first labor is a lot like what I experienced last week with my delivery. I hope you have a much better experience this time around.
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"