Cloth Diapering

what am i doing wrong?

Every single time he is in a cloth diaper it leaks all over his clothes.  I switched him largely to refolds and covers and the cover only can do like 2 refolds before it feels wet (def much less leaky) it just is so defeating to have to change him literally every time i change his diap.

He's 8 weeks and 10 lbs. I have a lot of pockets, I am super careful about how I stuff them making sure the insert go right up to the edges of the elastic and that helps but wth? why does that even need to happen? isn't the PUL supposed to be waterproof? Yesterday i took a pocket off him and the PUL itself was soaked….????

other info: 
i wash using tide powdered HE and hang dry. I did sew all his dials but i used polyester thread and was super careful. The PUL was not cheap stuff either…..
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
me:33 my wife:32      married in June '12
LONG road through IF ending in heartbreak and frustration.
Moving on to Adoption : matched 5/14! 
Our beautiful son was born August 25, 2014!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Re: what am i doing wrong?

• I rotate 2 covers out all day so they can dry between uses. For pockets, are you getting them snug enough around the legs? Did you put them in the dryer to seal the needle holes after you sewed them?

• KezziRiv said:
    Every single time he is in a cloth diaper it leaks all over his clothes.  I switched him largely to refolds and covers and the cover only can do like 2 refolds before it feels wet (def much less leaky) it just is so defeating to have to change him literally every time i change his diap.

what does the bolded part mean?

if you made them yourself, could it be a fit issues?  10 lbs is still a weird size.  F is almost 11 lbs. and he still has trouble fitting in to some diapers.  

i mean, i can use the cover only twice before it feels really wet.  the leaking seems to be random, sometimes its legs, sometimes its out the top. sometimes i can't even tell. I think fit is def a problem, he has a big fat belly but skinny little legs still he also was in-between sizes for a few weeks where he was 3 snaps on one side and only 2 on the other.  

I did dry all the covers (everything actually) once because i was in a huge hurry so they've been heat treated at least once.  
    :(

it sounds like the answer is let him grow…. :(  

• Loading the player...
  • Post a picture of the covers.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • If the prefolds are soaked...you need more absorbency
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. Or to change more often. If the covers are getting that wet that's at least part of the problem.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What pp said. The PUL is not just like the classic plastic cover. Eventually the liquid will seep through. They need time to fully dry. Also, more absorbent liner or more frequent changes should help too. Don't wait until they leak to change. 
  • maybe this is a silly question but if he's asleep for 6 hours…then what? I change him every waking period but at night he can really sleep…..

I'll try and take a pic of the covers, everything is mid way through a wash or on him at the moment...

• You need a more absorbant insert or some doublers for nighttime. Hemp is a good choice. You can even put it outside the diaper but inside the cover if you need to.
  • The first two are covers for pre folds. I have one fitted completed so far and it is OK at absorbing. All his inserts are hemp and bamboo

• yes most everything is sewn. The inserts are 2-3 layers each of either hemp or bamboo in varying level sod thickness, i use 2 at a time usually.  The fitted is flannel, fleece and super heavy hemp. The refolds are not handmade and they are a variety of stuff. I'm not even sure what they are… 

he is 2 months, yes.  

• KezziRiv said:
    The first two are covers for pre folds. I have one fitted completed so far and it is OK at absorbing. All his inserts are hemp and bamboo
    Looks like they could be leaking out the snap area that should be re-enforced with another layer of PUL. On the pocket ones, the white layer looks like it could be letting wetness out. When top stitching, make sure the pul layer is rolled in a little so that when you look at the diaper laying flat, on the inside you will see a small edge of the pul and from the pul side you should only see the pul. 

As far as the pic to show the fit, it looks like the pre-fold is too bulky for the covers. Either up the size of the cover or use a thinner liner.
  • It doesn't look too bulky at all to me.  Everything is tucked in.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ1979 said:
    It doesn't look too bulky at all to me.  Everything is tucked in.
    Look at the leg hole. The elastic casing doesn't look like it's maybe going half way around the leg. the front flap/panel is starting down on the leg so the back flap isn't able to have a secure looking fit around.
  • Meh.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • KezziRiv said:
    The first two are covers for pre folds. I have one fitted completed so far and it is OK at absorbing. All his inserts are hemp and bamboo
    Looks like they could be leaking out the snap area that should be re-enforced with another layer of PUL
    All of them are reinforced with a second layer of PUL for sure. but the stitching advice is helpful for the OS I have yet to make for him.

Overall, you guys have been pretty helpful… I think a lot of the problem is absorbency, I have 3 liners in today and it seems to be less of an issue.  He just pees a lot.  I had asked before and everyone was all…"oh babies pee less as they get older, he's not a heavy wetter yet" but I feel like he's still peeing A LOT.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"