Breastfeeding
Options

How long and how often at 8 months?

My LO either drinks really fast (in 2-3 minutes) during a nursing session, or is just too easily distracted and not eating enough or some combination. I'm not really sure and I wonder what you've experienced. How long does/did your LO nurse during a session at 8 months? How often did (s)he nurse?

My LO seems distracted during all nursing sessions but his middle of the night ones. No matter where we are, he finds something that seems way more interesting than nursing and he seems to want to snack. As in, suck for 2-3 minutes at best, play and then come back to nurse 10 minutes later. I try to take him somewhere quiet and boring but he seems to always find a way to get distracted. So... I'm wondering if maybe he's not distracted, maybe he just gets what he wants that quickly and is done and maybe he only comes back 10 minutes later (not always), to cuddle vs, actually drink. 

What's been your experience? What do you suggest? I've tried changing positions, location, using toys, necklaces, my braid, etc. Doesn't seem to help. 

Since he still seems to marathon nurse at night and wakes 2-3 times at night, i'm thinking it could be some combination of distracted nursing and reverse cycling (he's in daycare from 8:30 to 5:30) but maybe he's just more efficient and likes to cuddle? who knows... advice is very appreciated!!
Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 

Re: How long and how often at 8 months?

• Options
    Mine is only 7 months but will nurse in 5 minutes and completely empty my supply. Is he eating enough during the day? My son is on the smaller side and we have some health issues but my doctor had my up all his bottles during the day. More then I can pump but regardless he is eating enough during the day that he on his own dropped two of his night feedings and we are now down to one. His night bottle before bed I do give 6 oz and have to feed him in his room because he is easily distracted. His older brother will get him excited and he can't eat so I go into his room to feed him and put him down which I do all in the dark.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Thanks for the reply! My LO tends to drain one side at a time and yea, he can do that in about 3-4 minutes. 

He is drinking about an oz an hour at daycare and getting two meals with solids plus some finger foods (most of which goes on the floor). I also asked them to feed him his last bottle earlier so i could sneak in another nursing session at night to get him to eat more before bedtime. He seems content (as in not hungry) so i don't know that he isnt eating enough during the day.

His night time nursing is shorter than usual. He drinks for a minute or two and then passes out but i often don't put him down right away to be sure he's really done. If we try to rock him back to sleep without nursing him at night though he quickly gets really mad and starts screaming so our attempts to night wean haven't gone so well. Maybe I need tips on night weaning! LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I wouldn't worry about night-weaning him yet (MOTN nursing helped a LOT to keep my supply up when I was pumping during the day) - this experience seems pretty typical to me! I think it is probably a combination of efficiency and distraction, but if it's not causing any issues for you, and he's growing as he should, then I wouldn't fix what isn't broken :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks opheliainwaderSs! I feel like i haven't slept well (forget amount of time - just well) since being about 3 months pregnant! LOL 

I'm exhsausted and just can't wait to get my nights back. :)

he goes for his 9 month checkup soon... I'm intersted to see what they say about hiw growth. 
  • Options
    I totally agree with you... I don't think I've slept well since being pregnant!  My LO is just a few weeks younger than yours and is so back and forth with his distractibility while nursing.  Some times, he will nurse for 6-7 mins straight, other times, he will be too busy checking everything out and only nurse for 4-5 mins.  If the dog walks by or if someone opens a door, forget it!... he's done!  I think everything you're describing is completely normal.  The only time I get uninterrupted feeding session is during the MOTN feeding.  GL at his appointment!
  • Options
    Thabks for the input! Last night he was up screaming until 1:30 am and didn't want to nurse most of that time. I hope he settles back into a good routine soon and eats well. I worry about whether he is eating enough and about my supply all day.
  • Options
    Also, FWIW, our absolute worst sleep regression was months 8-10. It was BRUTAL. And then, somewhere around 11m, she started sleeping 7 hours in a row, and by a year, it was more like 9 or 10. Still have the occasional wake-up, but it helps to remember that this is exhausting, but it's not forever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks opheliainwaders! I don't remember going through this with my first. Did you do anything to help LO get better sleep? How did you get through it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"