LGBT Parenting
Options

What kind of car seat...

Hey again...I feel like I am blowing up the board today...

Talk to me about car seats. What is the best (or the best in your opinion)? How do you feel about bucket seats (the kind you carry) VS just a stationary seat? 

Hayden is due 12/12 and we don't have a car seat...we are starting to freak out as she could come anytime really...HELP! 

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

Re: What kind of car seat...

• Options
    In my opinion the infant seat (bucket) is a MUST. You will be so sad the day you can no longer use it and carry a sleeping baby into the house/store/etc. I don't have recs for actual seats since the last infant seat we bought was 9y ago. ;)

Also, once they go to the next seat (convertible seat) buy a good seat. You will use it for a very long time (ours used them from 6m-6.5y!) :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Everyone has their preference like you said.  For us it's Britax.  I'm faithful to the brand which is notorious for their safety features. We bought the Britax B-aigle seat with stroller and about 2 months ago bought the Britax marathon.  Because R is such a big boy we had to change car seats sooner than expected because he was quickly outgrowing his infant seat at 5 months old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    herbunmyovenherbunmyoven member
    edited October 2014
    We are team Britax all the way. They get amazing safety ratings and the b-safe fit in our small sedan. We got a really good Black Friday deal on Diapers.com and got the b-safe carseat and the b-agile stroller for about $200. 

I was so snotty about having the bucket carseat, but man it was a lifesaver! Even just being able to get him into the car seat inside in the winter was a huge help. 

When we moved up we got the Chicco NextFit (which could have been our only carseat but we have two cars). So the NextFit went in my car, which M is rarely in until he grew out of the bucket. Then we switched. I believe our total decision on the NextFit was based on size. M hated it when he was tiny, but now I think he likes the extra legroom. 
    Same-sex couple- In love with my awesome wife, A, since 2007
    Our son M was born 6.2013 

M was conceived via IVF using donor sperm and my wife's eggs. My wife carried. 

Now I am starting my second FET with embryos from A's IVF cycle...this is our last shot.

ET 9/15- BFN

• Options

So, we have this: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18244776&cp=&parentPage=search

I HATE IT!

My wife doesn't hate it as much as I do, but I totally hate it. The car seat is fine. Safety-wise it measures up just fine to other infant car seats. The stroller is a piece of crap in my opinion. I liked it in the store because it was light weight. It is a cheap piece of plastic. It is difficult to maneuver on cobblestones, gravel, grass... it's fine for in the mall, but so far we have gone to an orchard, a pumpkin patch, a few art festivals with brick/cobblestones... it is just a giant pain in the rear. I walk around with stroller envy looking at everyone else's contraption. I seriously wish we bought a Britax. In fact, I was looking at them online last night, and we might get a Britax stroller as a family Christmas present to start using as Will transitions to the convertible car seat.

Now, for the convertible car seat, we have this: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32177046&cp=&parentPage=search (in purple) -- My Aunt and Uncle bought it for us when we were pregnant. It is currently in the basement waiting to be used.  

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

Team Bucket.

I would have been really unhappy if I couldn't transfer a sleeping kiddo from car to house.  Also, seeing as how we're heading into winter here, it's a lot easier to get them strapped in inside, and then throw a blanket over them than have to dress them for the weather and then undress them in the car (unless you have an attached garage, which you might, in your new fancy schmancy house).  :D

We had friends willing to lend us their Chicco Keyfit 30 (we are close and knew and trusted every place that seat had been and not been).  As a thank you, we returned it with the addition of a second base.

My only complaints are pretty common across the board for all seats ... the straps get twisted, it's hard to carry, blah blah.  All in all it was a good seat for us.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Team Britax and bucket here too.

I think an infant car seat is an absolute must. Like a PP said, I hate that we can longer transport our sleeping baby from the car to the house, restaurant, store, etc. We either have to wake him up or take turns sitting in the car with him until he wakes up. You will NOT want to wake a sleeping newborn.

We have the Britax B-safe (infant) and now use the Britax Marathon (convertible). We have the B-Ready stroller, which is huge and heavy, but very durable. We chose the B-ready over the B-agile because it will convert to a double stroller. If I had to do it all over again, though, I might choose the City Mini for a stroller because if it's apparent ease of use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll break the britax trend..we have a baby trend inertia and its been great so far. He's not even close to getting too big for it so that's nice. It's a little heavier than some of the others we looked at, but we liked the safety features and it had a higher weight limit. We got the matching stroller and other than being super bulky when it's folded up, we really like it

• Options
    we registered for a graco travel system click connect.  this includes the infant seat and 1 base, and the stroller. 

Next, we will move on to the mysize 65 convertible car seat.  seemed priced right and good ratings for the next step(s). 
    Although I really, really wanted the 4Ever, we couldnt justify registering for another $300++ item when we could get it in "pieces" for less. especially if we end up having another LO one day. 

I do need help finding an umbrella stroller with GOOD wheels to help with grass/ pumpkin patches/ ETC in the future.  All the ones in the stores & most online looked like crap wheels.  anyone heard of this one: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22242386&fromRegistryNumber=54801776&product_skn=947896  ? 
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We are also a Britax household. I LOVED our infant B-safe seat, now he has grown out of the infant seat and is in the Britax marathon. We also have the B-agile stroller. It works great for us, we usually take long city walks or to the park, but if you are a runner you would definitely want a more heavy duty jogger.
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • Options
    We have the Chicco KeyFit30.  I researched car seats on Lucie's List and in Baby Bargains, and to me that seemed like the best combo of price and ratings -- plus I liked the idea of pairing it with the Liteway Plus stroller, which accepts the infant seat and then becomes an umbrella stroller when the baby is bigger.

I will say that the KeyFit scores points for ease of use, installation, adjustment etc.  And when we had our car seats checked at our local police department, they told us they think the KeyFit is one of the best you can buy.  The one con?  It is HEAVY, even without a growing baby in it!  I wish I'd looked into weight a little big before buying.

We are planning on buying the Britax Marathon for a convertible.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options
    We got the maxi cosi micro ap.  Main reason for getting this one is that it is one of the lightest on the market and unfortunately I am not the strongest person and R worries about how easily I will be able to carry a carseat with baby inside of it.  We also had already got the Mamas and Papas solo stroller and you are able to buy a converter for the stroller to make it a snap in go for the maxi cosi carseat.

Me: 30  DP: 30

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

IUI#2 10/26/13 BFP beta #1 99 #2 456

2/20/2014 Brynlee Madeline is taken too soon at 19weeks she was perfect

IUI#3 6/10/14 BFP beta #1 276 beta #2 722 20w A/S shows we are having a girl

• Options
    Like many others, we have the Chicco Keyfit 30.  Honestly, it's one of the 'standards'--very common, so you know you're getting something good.   We got the stroller, too.  Both were/are great.

Of course, ANY baby carseat has to be approved by the gov't and should be very safe...but, yes, a bucket carseat is very convenient that first year and you have to get a stroller anyway, so why not get the two pieces together?  Can save a bit of money that way, too!  
  • Options
    Because @ball.and.chain is my hero, we have the Chicco KeyFit30. We scored the stroller that it fits into on Craigslist which saved us a lot of $! It's been just fine for us! It's a pretty popular brand and the carsest lady we hired said it was her favorite,fwiw. Highly recommend the base so it just snaps in and out easily from the car! Again, we got the bases on CL.

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Again, what amazing advice! I think we've decided to use my sister's bucket car seat for a few months until she's in a permanent (or more permanent) seat! You guys are amazing!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Weighing late here... We love our britax b safes. Bucket seats are essential for carrying to and from the car. I honestly don't know how we would manage without them. We also have radians for when they grow out of the b safes. Maybe they will walk themselves to the car by then...

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    @2momsinCA‌ - we have the exact same thing as you! Britax b safes now and Diono Radians next! Do you have the City Select stroller too?
    Me: 31, Wife: 32 (met when we were 15)
    Married to my beautiful wife/baby mama on 07/07/07
    My brother is our KD
    5/2012: 5 cycles of at-home tries - BFN
    1/2013: 4 medicated IUIs - BFN
    6/2013: 1 IVF - BFP w/twin girls! Born 2/27/14!

• Options
    @yachee oh wow! We have the Britax b ready for now while they are in their bucket car seats and then the city mini GT double for when we move on into those radians. Us twin mamas think alike!!

@carls10 if we didn't have twins we would exclusively baby wear most likely. In fact my opinion on this is probably skewed by how difficult it is manage/carry twins.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    @yachee‌ and @2momsinCA‌... Which strollers are you using for twins with the britax b?

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Options
    @AandStilltrying‌ the britax b ready with the second seat adaptor. It's quite the workhorse of a stroller, fits both b safes nicely.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

• Options
    Just to weigh in. We didn't do the infant car seat. We had a used one for Kaden, but I hated it. I took it on road trips but otherwise never used it. It was really heavy and awkward to carry and Kaden always seemed to big/long to fit in it comfortably. One plus is the handle bar which is great for hanging toys from. We use the Ergo or Moby wrap to wear Owen/Kaden, or bring the stroller when going out to a restaurant, etc.  

Instead we have the Britax car seats, which I love. We had the City Mini stroller when it was just Kaden, and used it from the very beginning.  We had a cute headrest for him when he was very little.  Now we have the City Select which we use often as a double stroller, but it works great as a single stroller too. If I had known I was going to have two kids close together I may have just purchased the City Select upfront and added another seat later (or bought two seats and used them alternatively so they would wear the same).  Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

I know many friends that love the infant car seats and swear by them.  I just helped my sister-in-law by a snap 'n go for her infant carrier.  The plus is sometimes you can transport a sleeping baby in the car seat. My kids rarely stay asleep though. The second something changes their eyes pop open.
  • Options
    @AandStilltrying‌ - we have the city select and it is AWESOME! Way worth the hefty price tag. It's so easy to snap the b safes in and really versatile. We've switched to the other seats now, but if one of them falls asleep in the car we'll use one seat and one bucket. Most of the time I wear one and only use one seat, which makes the stroller the same size as a single stroller.
    Me: 31, Wife: 32 (met when we were 15)
    Married to my beautiful wife/baby mama on 07/07/07
    My brother is our KD
    5/2012: 5 cycles of at-home tries - BFN
    1/2013: 4 medicated IUIs - BFN
    6/2013: 1 IVF - BFP w/twin girls! Born 2/27/14!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"