LGBT Parenting

What do we need?!?!??!

This is a question that everyone keeps asking us...my answer is always a panicked...I DON'T KNOW! 

We did a registry at both Target and BRU (which I don't think we can use now becasue BRU screwed it up)...but I have no idea what else we need before Hayden gets here. 

I know there was a post a while back with an item list...I feel like either B&C or 2mamaz posted it before their little ones came...

Does anyone have a comprehensive list? Any help would be much appreciated!!! 

Thanks all! 

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

Re: What do we need?!?!??!

• It's overwhelming, isn't it?

I've basically been registering for stuff off and on through BRU and Amazon.  We started off with the BRU checklist and asked ourselves if we really pictured ourselves using certain items or if we could hold off and see how we do.

We also read through Lucie's List.  If you haven't seen this yet, it's tremendously helpful.  She explains what everything is and why you might need it, and gives you shortcuts on how to keep costs down and maximize the use of your products.  She provides reviews on car seats, cribs, swings, etc. and then you can look them up yourself on Amazon (which is where I like to read my reviews) and do your shopping from there.

That's how I've approached it!  As for must-haves, I'll let the veteran moms on here take the lead :) I'm stabbing in the dark myself and taking recommendations from friends but mostly trying to use my imagination and decide how certain products would help make our lives easier and less stressful with a new baby.

• OK, don't panic. You honestly don't need a lot in the early days. Seriously, as crazy as that sounds. When they are itty bitty, they mostly just need you!

With that being said, here is my non-comprehensive list of must haves (knowing that every baby is different and others will likely add and have different must haves):

* The pack-n-play with the changing table insert -- we use this as our primary changing table during the day. We have it set up in our playroom downstairs. His real changing table is in his nursery upstairs. It has awesome compartments for wipes, diapers, Vaseline, diaper rash cream, etc... and it has become a catch all for back-up outfits, toys, etc. It is kind of our baby command center and we love it.

* Some kind of rocker/glider that is comfy. There is nothing more soothing to a baby than being on a parent's chest and rocking/gliding. I wish we had one in every room. Seriously. One wish an ottoman is great! We have this and it is my favorite piece of furniture ever - https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21830316&cp=2255957.2273443.2256245.2256276&parentPage=family

* The rock-n-play or something similar! We have the graco lounger - it is pretty much the same thing as the RNP. Will loves it and sleeps great in it!

* Lots of LARGE burb cloths!

* Gas drops -- lots of babes have belly issues in the beginning, and having gas drops on hand to add to a bottle when needed was a life saver for us.

* Boppy!

* Swaddler blankets. Our guy didn't like the be swaddled after about a week (though that isn't typical), but we still used (and use) the swaddle blankets all the time. To cover his car set when it is cold, sunny, raining... to drape over him in the swing... to put on the floor for baby to roll on, for baby to chew on while teething! Lots of comfy blankies come in handy in many ways!

* Baby bath tub. We actually don't like the one we have, so I won't recommend ours. But having one in general, I will recommend HAHA

OK, I have to run to a meeting, but I will be back to add more as I think of things! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll try to add more later, but I think this may be the thread you are referring to:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12407430/moms-to-newborns-los-help-me-finish-off-my-registry#latest
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I second the rec for Lucie's List.  I also found Baby Bargains super helpful in breaking it all down.
    https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-Version-10-1-released-ebook/dp/B00BT1C6YW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413852024&sr=1-1&keywords=baby+bargains
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• I second B&C's Baby Bargains recommendation!  I now give this book as a gift to all my newly pregnant friends.  I also agree with using the Lucie's List.  

• I agree with most of what @KH826 recommended. My biggest piece of recommendation: you are never going to be done buying baby crap. Don't stress about getting everything you could possibly need before the baby is born. You will be at BRU...a lot. That being said here were our first month must haves: 

Car seat- you are already on it!

Burp cloths/towels- M spit up all of the time and milk was all over the house. We used prefolded diapers to tuck into her shirts.

Diapers- we stole NB diapers from the hospital and started stocking up in other sizes early. For us BJ's price + awesome stackable coupons has been our best bet for diapers. If I remember we used about a case of size 1, 2-3 cases of size 2 and 3, and have been on size 4 forever. We still haven't finished our first case of wipes.

Swaddles/A&A blankets/Snugsacks- these were lifesavers for M, but we did use the free blanket from the hospital for a really long time. 

Boob/Feeding stuff- we ended up needing the pump the first night to relieve some pressure so M could latch. A needed nursing bras, breast pads, and lanolin. Honestly boob stuff triggered most of our BRU trips in the first few weeks. 

We didn't do the R&P we went with the Fisher Price swing instead- that was HANDS DOWN a lifesaver for us. If you go this route, splurge for the plug in kind. Also, we blew out a motor on ours and they sent us two replacements. Their customer service is amazing. 

We got two cheap changing table pads and set one up on top of M's monster dresser in his room and one on a desk downstairs. Changing stations around the house are critical when they are peeing 10+ times/day

We used a moses basket in our room for a few months. We didn't need a crib as early as we had it. 

We also ended up getting more clothes than M could have ever worn from the shower. I wish I would have returned almost everything and got toddler clothes instead. I know for sure that the kid had stuff ranging from 0-6 months that he never wore...and now our gravy train of hand-me-downs has dried up. 

Same-sex couple- In love with my awesome wife, A, since 2007
    Our son M was born 6.2013 

M was conceived via IVF using donor sperm and my wife's eggs. My wife carried. 

Now I am starting my second FET with embryos from A's IVF cycle...this is our last shot.

ET 9/15- BFN

• Every baby is so different - just like grown-ups - so my opinion on what you need differs a little from the above, but you will find what works.

My first piece of advice is leave tags on things until you use them. I have spent the last week returning things to Amazon and have built up quite a credit! There were things I got that seemed like a total logical need, but we never used. Fortunately Amazon will take things back without tags/packaging so long as they are new, but it would've been easier with the tags! Along those same lines, keep your gift receipts. Now that Simone is a little older and we have a rhythm in how we do things, it's been awesome to return things and get more of what we now know works!

With that, I will give you a list of our MVPs:

1. Summer Infant SwaddleMe ($) - We found swaddle blankets to be a major PITA and never used one for swaddling after the first couple days. The Wombie ($$$) is another good one because frankly, no baby can break out of a zipper! Ever! Our doula recommended the woombie. But the velcro on the SwaddleMe's has been nice to adjust as we wanted. Here are links to each:

SummerInfant SwaddleMe - we had two
    Woombie

2. To round out the "evening wear" we use a gown + a swaddleme. They are way easier to get into than pajamas with feet and snaps, and the swaddler covers her feet so they don't get cold. We use jammies for hanging out before bed, but always put her in a gown before sleep time.

Bedtime Gowns (honestly I find the cheaper brands of these are great..carter, gerber)

3. Swing - OK, we got this thing used, from a friend-of-a-friend, for $40. We left it in our basement until she was like 6 weeks old and we KICKED OURSELVES for that 100 times since we brought it up. This thing is *money* - seriously, our kid adores it, and it's our go-to daytime 'vessel' for her.

FisherPrice Swing

While we got a Pack'n'Play and set it all up - we ended up packing it back up and storing it in the basement without using it once. If we had a 2-story house I could definitely see a use for an alternate changing table and vessel for putting the kid down. However, for us, since we had a Rock'n'Play and a cradle (vessels), and live on 1 floor (so the changing table is 15 paces away), the pack and play was not needed for this stage of her life (though we expect it to be very useful as she gets bigger). I do recommend the rock'n'play - though I've been sufficiently schooled that it is not a safe place for baby to sleep at night.

4. Diaper Bag - Do you guys know about Diaper Dude diaper bags? J loves these! We're likely going to get one but have a bag for now that is mostly working.

5. Wubbanub - If you plan to use a pacifier, these are the only ones that stay in well...and there are a ton to choose from! We got 2 - one for home, and one lives in the diaper bag.

6. Changing table liners - because sh*t happens :). I got 6 of these (two packs) per @jrtmom's recommendation, and I have gotten down to one on some of S's more productive days. :)

7. Co-Sleeper - We have a small house were exhausted at the idea of another sleeping/resting vessel for the baby, and ended up getting this in-bed co-sleeper - we hated not having her with us in the bed (a surprise to us, not our original plan at all!). This one is economical and has a little light on it so you can check her out.

8. Crib/Cradle Soother - This thing mesmerized her from the day we got it as a gift. She loves it and it occupies her every time!

We love our diaper wipe warmer. I know some people are not down, but we like ours a lot!

There's lots of other things, but these are what worked great for us!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I agree with all the items listed above and would add:

White noise machine
    Night light (or a small light) depending on where your LO will be sleeping
    Mittens for those long scratchy nails (I never cut them that well until my LOs were a few weeks old).
    A baby carrying pack. We used the Moby & ergo. Owen was 9.3lbs so I was able to use the ergo from early on.
    Nose Frieda (snot sucker) gross but super effective

• I am back to offer a few more of our preferred items. Also, totally agree about keeping tags on things. We have sooooo learned this the hard way. My list of "things we have that we never use or hate" is just as long as my list of must-haves that we love!

With that...

1. We recently got this sound machine - https://www.target.com/p/graco-sweet-slumber-sound-machine/-/A-11147713#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=sound+machine - we totally love it! It has 7 or 8 different sounds, it has a built-in-night light, it is small and portable, and I think it makes ALL of us sleep better!

2. I definitely agree with the swing. Will has gone through phases with the swing (he has loved it, hated it, and loved it again). This is the one we have: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24124316&cp=&parentPage=search - it doesn't take up a ton of space as far as swings go, and there are about 4 or 5 different recline positions that go from totally laying down to sitting up at a near 90% angle. Will's new thing now is that he likes to be sitting up a lot, to see what is going on and be a part of the action, so he will sit in the swing with the recline all the way up and he feels like he is at our level. It is a great option for us. We still struggle with getting him to take long naps in it, but it was definitely worth the investment regardless.

3. We have this high chair and really like it - https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13312194&cp=&parentPage=search - it is small, light weight, goes on a regular kitchen/dining room chair, and has an infant recline. Will had really good head control from early on, so he was using his high chair by 2 months. We would put him in there for a bit in the kitchen while we cooked, folded laundry, etc. We have taken it to my in-law's house, and we will be taking it to my mom's for Thanksgiving! :)

4. For when baby gets older, we have this and I am totally obsessed with it: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11123395&cp=&parentPage=search

5. In terms of carriers, we have a few, but our favorite is the mei tai - we have this one: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24514416&prodFindSrc=search&cp= - it is cheap as far as carriers go, it easily adjusts to different sized wearers (my wife and I both use it and we are not the same size/shape/height), and it folds up in to a little ball and can easily be shoved in a purse, diaper bag, etc.

6. Speaking of diaper bags... if you think you will be one to over pack when baby is young (we totally are those people - we know we probably won't need at least 50% of what is in the bag, but it makes us feel better for those "just in case" situations)... get the largest bag possible. In fact, don't even get a bag that is marketed as a diaper bag. We have 2 diaper bags and neither are big enough. My wife has been talking about switching to a big backpack.... I would be cool with just getting a huge oversized beach tote and using that. For quick trips the smaller bag is fine, but if you are going to be out for the day, those traditional diaper bags are wayyyy too small. I wish we hadn't spent the money, to be honest...

7. And one more thing to file under things we wish we didn't have... the bumbo. We thought we liked it for a hot second, but we don't. We are consider selling it with a few other things just to get some unused stuff out of the house!

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • I second skipping the Bumbo seat. We got very limited use out of it. It was briefly convenient when he was first becoming mobile and we needed a safe place for him to sit for brief periods of time, but you could use the high chair or playpen for the same purpose. Side note: we have the same high chair as KH and like it.

One thing that isn't already listed here that we LOVED during the 0-3 stage was an activity mat. We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051POJQA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eyLrub0H6ZKR5

We have this Skip Hop diaper bag and it has worked just fine, but any ole bag will work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B7XUVM6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413895830&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I'll come back and add if I think of anything that isn't already mentioned here.
  • We registered for a bouncer and the pack & play with a rocking seat and changer (which we will probably have set up in the LR during the day in the beginning) 

Do we really need a swing too? 
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• edited October 2014
    Oh I second the activity mat!! We got a hand me down that works great. Really fun to watch her progress using it too, and great for tummy time.

The swing we have has a mirror on the thing above her which is her favorite part!! She ogles herself and gets super animated doing it! However, I dig the smaller footprint of the one KH recommended.

Also I too recommend the NoseFrida. Simone sometimes has spit up come out her nose! I always snot suck it a bit afterwards to get any residual out. I've also used it to sweep out her mouth a few times she got gaggy which was great. She gets really gummy boogies (sorry for the tmi) that you can hear (snort) but not see, and this solves it!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Question: a friend of ours (generously) gave us her tricked out swing (it plays music, has 3 swing settings, has lights, and a mobile).  Do you think we need a rocker, too?  We're also getting a swinging bassinet (courtesy of C's extremely excited mom) so I don't know how many other motion-capable vessels we'll need for him!

Awesome suggestions, thanks for the links, folks!  I've added a few things to my registry thanks to you all :)

• mrs&mrsk said:
    We registered for a bouncer and the pack & play with a rocking seat and changer (which we will probably have set up in the LR during the day in the beginning) 

Do we really need a swing too? 
    We don't have a swing. We have a bouncy chair and he liked that quite a bit when he was first learning to hit things with his hands, he is pretty over it now though. It also served as a good napping place for a few weeks, but not really anymore. I've thought maybe we should have gotten a swing so that he'd nap in it, but I tried our friend's and he didn't care for it. Some people want all the baby holder things and some go without, it's really a personal preference thing I think. We also have a tiny house, so we couldn't really have both. We were gifted the bouncy chair so that's what we've used. 

• We had both a bouncer and a swing (the tricked out version) gifted to us, but I don't think both are necessary.

My preference was the swing, but the downsides are the size and cost. If space is at a premium, the bouncer may be a better option. Also, because the swing is so large, it's a pain to move from room to room and will likely remain stationary. Also, you will only use the swing/bouncer for a few months, so if you are trying to save money, the bouncer is the better choice for that reason too.

My parents bought us the swing, and at first I thought it was a terrible waste of money because Ash cried every time I put him in it. We kept trying and eventually he loved it and took really good naps in it. I think the trick is to set it at the highest speed. I think the tendency is to set it at a low speed for itty bitty babies, but at someone's recommendation I tried the high speed and it worked like a charm.

• I just remembered my friend offered js her swing. After reading lucies list I may switch the bouncer to a rock n lag and that should be good :)
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• You are getting lots of good advice...and probably also realizing that every baby is different and some things just don't work for some babies.

First, look around for some of the big items. Do you have friends who have older kids with them in storage? Can you borrow for a few months?

For example, our kiddo hated the swing.  Grandma paid $80 for it...and we used it approximately 3 times.  Wish we could have gotten a hand me down.  Similarly, an exersauser...huge item you won't want in your house when baby is done with it.

The Rock N Play was a life saver for us and he slept in it every night for the first 4 months.  We have many friends who feel similarly. But, again, it's $45 you might not have to spend...if someone you know doesn't need one for a few months.

If you have a small house, I recommend a compact high chair. Ours is a regular one and it barely fit in the dining room and is a pain to store. You definitely need one...but consider one that fits on top of a chair or attaches to the side of the table if space is an issue!

I definitely recommend a playmat of some kind.  There are a million to choose from. Great for tummy time and it'll become baby's first toy.

• You guys are amazing!!! I appreciate everyone's input and all the great advice. You guys have made us feel so much better about what we have and what we need!

I am so appreciative of this group...you all are amazing!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• You have plenty of good suggestions here!  I will just say we also loved the Summer Infant SwaddleMes, WubbaNubs and our activity mat (ours is from SkipHop).  Also Aden & Anais burpie bibs are the best, but if you're crafty you could probably sew your own.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Great suggestions! For us here are our top three for newborn phase:
    1. Rock and play (Oliver slept in this for the first few months, but we aren't a co-sleeping house, so that may be different if u plan to co-sleep)
    2. Boppy. That pillow went everywhere with me those first few weeks. 
    3. Bravado nursing tanks.  I still live in these.  They are a bit more expensive but my bra size is difficult to find in regular nursing tanks.  Theyhave my size and awesome support and are super comfortable. 

Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • So, I was browsing through my Cartwheel App (for Target) on my phone last night, and I saw that all Graco Pack-n-plays and Graco swings are 25% now through Saturday with the app at Target. Plus the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair is 15% off with the app.

Just wanted to let you folks who are shopping for baby gear know - you might be able to get some good deals! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"