June 2014 Moms
Options

When nursing, does you're LO...SQUIRREL!

Lately EVERYTHING is more interesting to LO than nursing. A car noise - she pulls offyo check it out. The light shifts in the room - she has to stop and investigate. It's impossible to get a good feed and I feel like she's not eating enough now. I'm only with her fulltime Friday - Sunday. I started to notice a dip in supply while pumping on Monday and Tuesday (so I've started adding pump sessions on the weekend after she's done).

Any tips to keep LO focused while nursing? I try to offer her my boobs more often and I've tried using a cover - neither is working well.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When nursing, does you're LO...SQUIRREL!

• Options

Ugh story of my daughter's life!!! At first the hands were all over the place so I used a swaddle blanket to stop that. Now sometimes she decides to be a brat and look everywhere.  Try a room with less distractions? Quiet/dark/etc.

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
    BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

• Options
    Charlie does this with his bottles, to the point where I can't keep it in his mouth. I do find that a darker room works best, as does a little bit of gentle rocking while feeding him.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the quiet, dark room. I have DH shut the door sometimes while I'm feeding him just because it's very painful when he whips his head off of me!
  • Options
    I'm with you @mmandm603!! DH is the worst at distracting DD, ESPECIALLY in the morning when I am trying to get her fed before we have to head out the door.

• Options
    With DD1 I wore a necklace she could play with. Kept her focused.
  • Options
    Yup, he does this with his bottles. I have to feed him his bedtime bottle in our bedroom, with no tv and dim lights, for him to settle down for bed.

<3

• Options
    I'm right there with you. DS has to look at everything, turn his head at every noise (of which there are many since I also have a 2-yr-old) and has seemingly no interest in eating. I initially thought maybe he was getting more efficient since he's done after about 10 min but no, last two days I've had clogged ducts so he's definitely not eating as much. When I try to cover his head/eyes, he just gets pissed off.
  • Options
    Hairstylist16Hairstylist16 member
    edited October 2014
    Lol I love your title for the post. My DD does it too but its with her bottles and I think it's worst with her hands. She gets them in the way and so she unlatches from her bottle and then gets pissed cause she's still hungry so I have to hold the bottle with a couple fingers and her hands down with a couple other fingers so she'll eat.
    Although it's worst for you guys cause my nipples aren't involved :)
  • Options
    Yup she just started this last week. She will also arch her back and complain till age looks at what she wants to look at.
  • Options
    Yep and her 30 minute marathon nursing sessions are back because she spends so much time unlatching to look around.
  • Options
    LO does this as well, I'm just glad he isn't teething yet. I will have to try the necklace.
  • Options
    My LO is most distracted by my DHs voice and while it's cute she wants to turn her head to see him and smile, it drives me nuts when I can't get her to resume eating. This morning she kept leaning and turning her head in the direction of her activity mat and seat and toys. Guess that's another place I can't feed her!
  • Options
    Would it be wrong to blindfold DD while trying to feed her in the AM?!?! "I just got up I need to make sure nothing changed in the house while I was asleep!"

• Options
    @hampire‌ I totally get the latching onto everything. The other night LO latched onto my chin as I was burping her!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @hampire‌ I totally get the latching onto everything. The other night LO latched onto my chin as I was burping her!
    Better there than the side of your breast.  It hurt like hell.
  • Options
    Yep, DS does this quite often and doesn't unlatch.  Not very pleasant.  One night he gave me a hickey on my areola while I slept blissfully unaware.  It was black/blue for a week.  The joys of parenthood.
    ~Jessica~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"