December 2014 Moms
Options

Teachers who plan on breastfeeding

Once you go back to work, how do you plan on continuing breastfeeding? For me there will be no time to pump during the work day. I'm wondering if it will be possible to continue breastfeeding if I have to go that long everyday without pumping or feeding or if it would be more plausible just to go to formula once I go back to work? Any of you have experience with this?

Re: Teachers who plan on breastfeeding

• Options
    I have two plan periods plus lunch, so that's how I figure I'll swing it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to try to pump during lunch and planning as well. Now WHERE is the real question. All classrooms have windows to the outside AND into the hallway and I'd hate to occupy a bathroom for that long. (Plus, ew.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @Ainslie325‌ ! Yes I've heard of that law, I just can't imagine where that space is going to be. Although, I suppose that's their problem to figure out, not mine!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a planning and lunch time but we are always so booked with meetings and stuff there isn't usually even time to pee, so I'm not sure when I will have time to pump. I heard that law today for the first time, but I know my school isn't going to do that. There literally are no spaces for that except restrooms (we have no empty rooms, we are totally over populated) aaaaand I have no idea who they would have come relieve my class while I go pump. There is no one available just to do that.
  • Options
    arynras said:

I have a planning and lunch time but we are always so booked with meetings and stuff there isn't usually even time to pee, so I'm not sure when I will have time to pump. I heard that law today for the first time, but I know my school isn't going to do that. There literally are no spaces for that except restrooms (we have no empty rooms, we are totally over populated) aaaaand I have no idea who they would have come relieve my class while I go pump. There is no one available just to do that.

You will need to be excused from meetings to pump. One of my plan periods I am supposed to hold office hours, but if I'm pumping, the kids will have to wait.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    By law they are required to give you time to pump (although they don't have to pay you for that time). I do not get a planning period/time. With DS I was given an aid that took my recess duty and kept my kids outside for snack, to give me 20-25 mins in the morning. Then I pumped at lunch as well.

I can't pump in my current classroom. Last time they offered me the choice of using a large storage room instead of my classroom. This time I guess I'll be using that room.
  • Options

OP, are you a union member? By contract, your personal planning period and lunch--unless your contract is very different than most-- cannot be monopolized for meetings. Occasionally, we are asked to serve as gen ed reps at staffing/IEP meetings or to sub during our plan periods, but we contractually have the right to decline (and there is zero issue if we do). We pump in a designated room in our nurse's office. It sounds as though you'd be best off expressing your concerns to a supervisor (Dept. Chair, administrator). Tell her what you'd like to do (pump daily), why you're worried about it (potential lack of space, meetings, etc.) and ask what suggestions she has and how he school can help you solve the problem. Rather than assuming they can't or won't, give them an opportunity to do the right and lawful thing.

Thanks. We are supposed to have a permanent sub on campus for any time we need someone to step in on emergency cases or for meetings that take place during the day when we would normally have our class, but we can't seem to keep anyone in that position. Maybe I can mention that to my principal and they can put someone in my room for 15 min twice a day. I will send her an email a few weeks before I go back so it's all in writing.
  • Options
    katehgee said:

arynras said:

Your school can't just decide to break the law and not accommodate you.
    There have already been a handful of teachers who gave birth recently who had to switch to formula because they weren't giving them time to pump. I know it's not right, but it's happening.
  • Options
    My lunch and prep are together from 1-215, I'm planning on pumping right before school then go home on my break and pump, I live around the corner and go home now everyday to let the dog out. I will also be out of work for 5 months hoping in that time I can get into routine of what it will be like when I go back to work.

I agree with the meetings on your prep... By our contract if you are asked to meet on your prep/break you have to be paid for it.
  • Options
    I would definitely speak with your union rep if you have one. 

With DD I would get to school a few minutes early and pump for a short time (6:50 am, 10 minutes) then I pumped at lunch (around 10:30 am, 20 min lunch - I ate while I pumped using the hands-free bra) and then again on my prep period (which varied and didn't always fall at the right time, but I did it anyway because I had supply issues.) I mostly pumped in my classroom but I did get access to an old dark room that wasn't used anymore.  I also fought to get my lunch changed from the late lunch to the early lunch so I didn't have to go as long between pumping sessions. 

For this LO I'm not sure yet because we now have 85 minutes classes and I'm not sure what my schedule will be when I come back in April. Honestly one of the reasons I'm taking more time off is to lessen the amount of time pumping during the school year. I'll only have to do it for about 8 weeks when I come back and then I'll have the summer off to hopefully continue BFing and not pumping as much.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I plan to continue BFing after returning to work. I have a conference/planning period in morning and then lunch an hr later. We have been scheduled meetings Monday- Wednesday during planning period so I will need to talk to my principal about using this time to pump.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning on pumping in my classroom (close the blinds & stick a pink ppr on the door for code= do not come on I'm pumping)during my lunch break (10:53) and again during my prep period (1:40). I also have my common planning period (meetings) right b4 my prep if i need to pump.
    BFP#1: 7/26/13, EDD 4/5/2014, MMC @8wks
    BFP#2: 4/18/14, EDD 12/24/14
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

I'm a SAHM now, but I pumped when I went back to work after DD was born. I had to go back at the end of the school year for two weeks and I pumped several times a day then--on the way to work with a blanket over me, mid morning (someone--an aide, principal, VP, anyone!) would come to my class for about 20 minutes, and during my lunch.

I went back full time when she was 6 months and continued pumping on the way to work and again during my lunch. I don't care where you teach, union or not, by law you are required to have a lunch period/break. If you do not have any free time now, I can't imagine a supervisor telling you NO, they will not help you find coverage or offer you meeting-less planning/lunch times.

I will say, we didn't have anywhere to pump either. In my car on the way to work was easy, I just used a blanket. When I was pumping mid morning, I went to the private staff restroom. There was a chair and outlet I was able to use. During lunch I locked my classroom door, closed all the blinds, and sat at my desk.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I will use my classroom. Our librarian and a team teacher both had to use our laundry room which smells and has a sign saying there might be asbestos. No way am I doing it there. I'll put a sign on the door and hide in the back corner of my room. I have prep Monday-Wednesday at the end of the day and we have no meetings on Thursday and Friday, so I'll just do it them.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was just lurking here last night (not a teacher but plan to breastfeed when I return to work and I will be the first ever to do so since it is a new organization) Andddd I found this!! 

• Options
    Just the thought of pumping at school makes me nervous, but if I am able to continue to pump after 4 months (which is around the time I am returning), I will do so during my lunch or prep or both.  I'm not really looking forward to it.  And I have no clue where I will do it, but maybe the nurse's bathroom or the office bathroom since they are way more private than any faculty bathrooms.  There are too many windows around the door of my classroom to pump in there.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    stefdolly said:

I was just lurking here last night (not a teacher but plan to breastfeed when I return to work and I will be the first ever to do so since it is a new organization) Andddd I found this!! 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I'm understanding it...the law wouldn't cover me then because I'm salary.
  • Options

Salaried, exempt employees are not covered under the federal law. Many states have laws that are stronger than (and supersede) the federal law, though. Colorado, for example, has a law which provides similar provisions for ALL employees-- not jus non-exempt. Many states are similar, including my own, Illinois, which also covers all breast feeding employees: https://breastfeedinglaw.com/state-laws/illinois/

Not being covered under the federal law doesn't mean you're not covered. If you're comfortable sharing, which state do you teach in? If you'd prefer to keep that private, check the information for your state on the site I linked above.

I teach in Texas
  • Options
    arynras said:

Salaried, exempt employees are not covered under the federal law. Many states have laws that are stronger than (and supersede) the federal law, though. Colorado, for example, has a law which provides similar provisions for ALL employees-- not jus non-exempt. Many states are similar, including my own, Illinois, which also covers all breast feeding employees: https://breastfeedinglaw.com/state-laws/illinois/

Not being covered under the federal law doesn't mean you're not covered. If you're comfortable sharing, which state do you teach in? If you'd prefer to keep that private, check the information for your state on the site I linked above.

I teach in Texas
    I just see it saying we have a right to breastfeed in public, not sure where it says anything about employers providing breastfeeding accommodations. :/
  • Options
    I did with my son on planning periods and lunch. They have to accommodate you. Its not a choice. But you have to speak up for yourself and tell them you need/want it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    abcmom12abcmom12 member
    edited October 2014

Ladies, these links are very helpful in this area

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

https://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Employment/WorkplaceSupport/WorkplaceSupportinFederalLaw/tabid/175/Default.aspx

https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqBTNM.htm

By law, it is illegal to force a mother to BF/pump in a bathroom

What must an employer provide to workers who need to express breast milk in the workplace?

ANSWER: Employers are required to provide a reasonable amount of break time and a space to express milk as frequently as needed by the nursing mother, for up to one year following the birth of the employee’s child. The frequency of breaks needed to express breast milk as well as the duration of each break will likely vary. The space provided by the employer cannot be a bathroom, and it must be shielded from view and free from intrusion by coworkers or the public.

If the only space available at a work site is a bathroom, can employers require employees to express breast milk there?

ANSWER: No. The statute specifically states that the space provided for employees to express breast milk cannot be a bathroom.

The Business Case for Breastfeeding recommends that at a minimum, employers provide a safe and private space with a chair and a small table or shelf to set the breast pump on.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

https://texasmotherfriendly.org/the-law

Looking harder, you may be right. It seems that TX leaves a lot up to businesses as far as exempt employees are concerned. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't express your concerns and ask if there's any way to accommodate them. (-:

All this being said, you've not addressed whether you have a union rep to consult on this issue. Non-specific to breastfeeding/pumping, I would think this person could best advise on how to ensure that your workplace planning and meal time is, as it should be, your own unless it's contractually designated otherwise.

I honestly have no idea if I have a union rep. A coworker of mine suggested calling HR and finding out what our school district policy on pumping at work is so I guess that's my next step since I'm not covered by federal law and it's seeming like I'm not covered under any state law either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"