October 2014 Moms

Baby products you hate

edited October 2014 in October 2014 Moms
We were gifted several Johnson & Johnson bath sets with shampoo and lotion. I put some lotion on LO when we came home from the hospital and later I saw that his skin was peeling- like a snake. I just thought it was dry skin and gave him more lotion. After his first bath last night with the J&J stuff and more lotion, I have come to the conclusion that its the bath soap and lotion that is making Little Dude's skin peel. I put some Aveeno on him and it is helping.

Andplusalso the smell gives me a wicked headache.

Any products out there that you have tried and truly dislike? Something you wouldn't recommend to your worst enemy? Something that sounded so promising and was totally a bust, so we shouldn't bother wasting our money?

Re: Baby products you hate

• Cantisa said:

Huggies natural wipes. They shred in my hands and we were gifted a box of 500. Joy

Us too!! I hate them.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I like the regular huggies wipes. Do not like the Pampers wipes at all, they are too wet.

image         image

• @mrscunningham22 The peeling definitely gets worse within minutes of using the lotion, but you're right. It could be normal baby stuff. Still gave me a migraine. :|
  • Cantisa said:

Huggies natural wipes. They shred in my hands and we were gifted a box of 500. Joy

I used these on dd yesterday and she has an awful rash. Poor thing.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also dislike the Lansinoh soothies gel pads. They are sticky and go directly over the nipple, but the reason my nipples need soothing is because try are cracked and blistered. It's like ripping a bandaid off an open wound. It hurts. I don't feel like it soothes my fire nipples unless I had them in the freezer first.
  • The Pampers wipes are really wet. They are what we have though so we're using them.

I can't say I've found anything besides the huggies wipes that I really didn't like. So far.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I hate J&J... We use Babyganics and the Honest Co. products.

FYI ... I don't think this applies to the swaddlers, but other pampers diapers have been thought to cause chemical burn on babies (happened to my DD this past summer!). Something worth researching because I don't know the whole deal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Someone gave us Looney Toons wipes... I don't even know where you get those, but don't. They're soapy?

imageimageimage
  • Agree on Johnson and Johnson, their stuff is too harsh. I thought my DD just had baby acne so I kept using the shampoo and lotion, but turns out it was an allergic reaction.

Aveeno is good though!

Diaper genie is a waste of money, a cheap garbage can that you can keep outside is much better.

Expensive bottles....I tried a bunch of different bottles/nipples with DS1 because he was difficult, and turns out the standard playtex bottles with drop in liners were by far the best and most convenient.
  • So I love huggies, j&j and the diaper genie!

I hate headbands. They are annoying.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• So I got a box of 500 Pampers Sensitive wipes and a box of 500 Huggies Natural wipes. I had planned on opening the Huggies box and using those first but this thread us making me think twice!

I also have a wipes warmer on the dresser ready to go for when LO gets here. If Pampers wipes are "wetter" than other brands, might they be better to use in it due to the overall drying effect warmers supposedly have?
  • I love pampers sensitive wipes. The only Huggies ones we tried seemed too dry to do any good.

I hate the arms reach cosleeper. The theory is good, but...1. Neither of my babies will/would actually sleep in it for more than an hour, and 2. The dip makes it really hard to get the baby out of it, at least post c section.
    But I guess the moms who use cosleepers aren't supposed to deliver by c section? A side car mini crib would have been a much better choice.

DS hates the co-sleeper too. I gave up on using it after the first night home and now we bedshare because it's so much easier. The co-sleeper has become storage for extra diapers, the wipes warmer, and outfit changes.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • I wish I loved my moby wrap but I get so freaking hot in it. I wore it around the house and when I pulled LO out he was all sweaty too. Maybe it will be nice in the winter? But I don't know if I will want to pull him out of his car seat in the cold or if we will still be just as hot wearing warm clothes and the moby. Anyone have another wrap that they like?

BabyFruit Ticker

• @crawford411‌ I have a really thin infinity scarf that I use as a cover if I am going to nurse while walking around. It is a bit see-through but it's enough that baby stays cool and I feel discreet.
  • MollyC20 said:
    I hate J&J... We use Babyganics and the Honest Co. products. FYI ... I don't think this applies to the swaddlers, but other pampers diapers have been thought to cause chemical burn on babies (happened to my DD this past summer!). Something worth researching because I don't know the whole deal.

It's the night time diapers with some kind of gel in it. It breaks and causes chemical burns. I don't know if they even have that kind anymore.
  • Lol I love my Brest friend pillow and actually find the piece at the back to be comfortable. Maybe it's just the curvature of my back? Even with nursing DS1 for almost a year, I still hardly nurse without using the pillow.

• *Velcro bibs- If you aren't extremely careful with fastening before washing, they can potentially stick to and ruin other clothes.

*Children's Advil-It doesn't have the little hole for sticking the syringe in to dispense the medicine, so it's more annoying. I like Little Remedies (or even CVS brand) better for that reason.

*I also dislike Huggies wipes.

*BRU brand and Parents Choice (Walmart brand) diapers are inferior IMO.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CNJ4EVA said:

*Velcro bibs- If you aren't extremely careful with fastening before washing, they can potentially stick to and ruin other clothes.

*Children's Advil-It doesn't have the little hole for sticking the syringe in to dispense the medicine, so it's more annoying. I like Little Remedies (or even CVS brand) better for that reason.

*I also dislike Huggies wipes.

*BRU brand and Parents Choice (Walmart brand) diapers are inferior IMO.

Just throw the bibs into a delicates bag. Problem solved.

image         image

• UO - I love the smell of j&j products.

My mom made me buy dreft yesterday bc it's for babies duh, despite my best efforts to tell her my all free & clear was just fine. Washed all my newborn sleepers and a hand full of onsies with the crap and it made them all of them look old, used and worn as opposed to the all f&c that left his clothes looking brand new. I'm never wasting any more money on that expensive crap again.

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• FamousEa said:

Someone gave us Looney Toons wipes... I don't even know where you get those, but don't. They're soapy?

Those sound shady. Like Dollar Store shady.
    Good call. I might move them to the car for emergencies.

imageimageimage
  • So LO can't stand the swing. Just makes him cry harder. Also not loving the fit on most the the clothes we have. Everything is way too big except a very few NB things. 

• ss265 said:

And we only use Huggies wipes with both kids because Costco carries them. Maybe I'm just a special snowflake :)

We also only use Huggies Natural wipes because Costco carries them. We've never had any problem at all with them! I love them. We have the little pouch carriers of them in DD's and DS1's backpacks and use them for wiping hands, tables, toys, the car seats when something gets spilled during an outing... everything!

I hate all J&J products. And Aveeno. Too many chemicals and fragrance in them. DD had extremely sensitive skin as a baby and I switched to California Baby products for her. Awesome but seriously expensive. For at least a year now I use Burts Bees shampoo and body wash on both older siblings (DS2 has only had 1 bath so far) and I ONLY use Eucerin cream on any of their skin (nothing has gone on DS2 yet). That Eucerin cream has been amazing on their skin. Especially if they get any kind of butt redness/diaper rash. The Eucerin cream clears it up so quick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Father's Day at the beach 2014 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • edited October 2014
    We have been using all babyganics & honest products and I don't really have a complaint yet.  Their wipes are good, but I've been using warm water and a washcloth more often than not since his butt is so sensitive.

Hate the aventi glass bottles; love the lifefactory and doctor brown vented system (both glass).  The A&A burpy bibs are fantastic and I'm actually online now because I want to order more!
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Pampers diapers are the worst! My oldest got chemical burns from them. Unfortunately that was all the hospital had this time around. I tried them out with this LO and within a day her skin was irritated. As soon as we got her into her cloth we haven't had any more irritation problems.
  • @starla487‌ and @Cantisa‌
    I used the Medela brand with my first and I absolutely loved them! Down side, more expensive and the pack only comes with 2.

I also hate J&J products. I've used BabyGanics with my first daughter and she's 20 months old now. No complaints yet!

I can't stand the Pampers wipes that say Fresh something or another on the package. They are very strongly scented and so soapy they leave soap on my hands. They always gave my first daughter a rash.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • As a rule, I hate anything that smells like baby powder. I also hate the smell of Mustella products.
  • The Pampers diapers that caused chemical burns are the Baby Dry diapers.  My DD has used Swaddlers, Sensitive Swaddlers, Cruisers, and Extra Protection without issues (luckily!).  

I don't like the Boppy or the My Brest Friend.  It was easier/more convenient to just use a couch throw pillow to prop up my daughter than to go find a pillow.  

I strongly dislike the Seventh Generation wipes.  I have a shit ton because of a crazy amazing Amazon sale a few months ago and I don't want to use them ever.  Really considering donating them because I hate them so much--small, thin, and dry.  Pampers Sensitive Wipes 4 LYFE!

For me, the bouncy seat is another waste.  My kid hated it.  Used it maybe twice.  It was a huge waste as compared to the RNP or swing.

• I don't have anything to add as I'm a FTM with an inside baby still, but this has been great to read. Good thread!
  • Di_126 said:

I love pampers sensitive wipes. The only Huggies ones we tried seemed too dry to do any good.

I hate the arms reach cosleeper. The theory is good, but...1. Neither of my babies will/would actually sleep in it for more than an hour, and 2. The dip makes it really hard to get the baby out of it, at least post c section.
    But I guess the moms who use cosleepers aren't supposed to deliver by c section? A side car mini crib would have been a much better choice.

Agreed on both fronts.

I wish we had sidecarred our crib a lot sooner then we did with DD1.  It's so much nicer.  The co-sleeper was such a waste of money IMO and the "mattress" in it sucks royally.

We also hated the regular Sophie giraffe.  It quickly became a dog toy in our house.  DD LOVED the little Sophie teether though.

OMG, I had forgotten about Sophie. My dog LOVED it and used to take it away from DS1. Most expensive dog toy ever!

• I loathe the target brand (up&up) wipes. I bought a case of the sensitive type without trying them first and they're literally like a wet paper towel. I like a nice thick wipe, and we love the honest ones. We mostly use their products on DS1. Also love babyganics. Luv's diapers were great until DS1 was in size 3, then they leaked like crazy.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate the J and J products too. I'm using coconut oil instead of lotion. And loving the Earth Mama Angel Baby wash for baths.

I hate sleepers with all the snaps. We are all about the zipper.

We have been good with the pampers sensitive wipes and swaddlers diapers

Pregnancy Ticker

• MendozaAJ said:

I wish I loved my moby wrap but I get so freaking hot in it. I wore it around the house and when I pulled LO out he was all sweaty too. Maybe it will be nice in the winter? But I don't know if I will want to pull him out of his car seat in the cold or if we will still be just as hot wearing warm clothes and the moby. Anyone have another wrap that they like?

I got the Solly Baby Wrap when I heard how hot the Moby can be. No complaints, it's so soft, I love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"