Cloth Diapering

The more I research... [NB stash questions]

EssJayCeeEssJayCee member
edited October 2014 in Cloth Diapering
The more I research, the less I feel like I know.  I've read FAQ after FAQ and watched more videos than I care to admit, but there are so many different options that I'm running on overload.  Help a girl out?

At a friend's suggestion, I was going to get 36 GMD newborn workhorses w/ snaps & a variety of 8 or so different brand newborn or XS covers.  After speaking with some other CDers, I'm starting to second guess that.  Should I diversify?  I need to make this as simple as possible so as not to scare off DH.  If I try to throw a snappi or flat his way, I may be in the market for a new husband!  

Rumparooz Lil Joeys, Blueberry Simplex newborn, Thirsties Duo size 1... I'm about to just throw my credit card at someone and pray for the best.

ETA:  Oh, hi!  FTM, not due until April 2015, but on temporary medical leave due to HG so I have way too much time on my hands.  Obsessing over something my child will shit in has become my new hobby.  Nice to meet y'all!

Re: The more I research... [NB stash questions]

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    edited October 2014
    It's a good hobby! We love poop around here.

I think you would be perfectly fine with 36 workhorses and 8 covers. I would get various covers so you can be sure that some will fit your LO well and be ones you like. I liked rumparooz, blueberries, and thirsties (new style Velcro only) for NB.

Usually I would say snapless are better bc you can get a much better fit with a snappi. And usually I'd say you don't want to get all of one type, and you should throw in some prefolds and flats too. (Flour sack towels are 5/$5 at wal mart.) But I get needing to keep it super simple. So I'm going to say that, while there are more options and a varied stash is awesome, you would be just fine with your plan.

Don't forget wet bags and cd safe cream (I love CJs. I put that shit on everything.)
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Oh, maybe just a handful of AIOs would be super simple for YH. We liked NB simplexes and they still fit at 4 months. NB BGs fit well but the absorbency doesn't last really long. Same for lil joeys.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Fwiw fitteds were my favorite NB diaper. Not such a fan of the two step diapering after the NB phase, but they're absorbent, cheap, easy, and never leaked. I don't see a problem with getting a few AIOs like simplex if you wanted to diversify, but IMO you'd likely be fine with just workhorses and covers.

I got snapless, myself, because I think and have heard that they get a more customizable fit.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • You could always get some snapless and some with snaps for him.

Also, you may want to consider getting some newborns and some smalls, since you don't know how big baby will be or how long until OS diapers will fit. Smalls can always be used on a smaller baby (though they'll be a little bulkier) but the other way around isn't true.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Good to know, I'll get a mixture.  What about the size of covers to go over workhorses?  Newborn & XS, depending on brand?  Or maybe smalls, too?  After NB I am hoping to move to AIO or pockets or... really, hell if I know, but something more one-step.
  • I only have personal experience with Thirsties Duos size 1, which I liked a lot on my almost 8 pound NB, and they fit over both NB and small workhorses. Ask me again in November and I'll have reviews to share for way too many brands of NB diapers. ;)
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Might I suggest best bottoms for one-size?
    If you are still wondering what method you would like for OS, definitely get a few AIOs, pockets, ai2s, etc to try before committing to a brand or style. All diapers are different, and you might be surprised what you end up liking.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Awful has a good point. Buy what you think you'll like, throw in 6-10 of what you think YH will like.

You (and YH) might be surprised at what he ends up liking. MH only wanted one brand of pockets when we first started. Now he uses pretty much anything except flats, and I have a very diverse stash.

I agree though that if you're going to go with all one brand/style NB GMD workhorses is the time/type to do it with. I don't think I've heard of anyone not liking them for NB stage.

Definitely get a variety of covers. Maybe a couple true NB and mostly stuff that will fit both NB and small like RaR, Blueberry Mini, and Thirsties Duo Wraps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• What everyone said is excelent info. I just want to add that you don't want a stash of just what DH likes. You need what you will like and want to use! For me it's a major treat when DH changes a diaper, so having a stash that just he likes would kill me.
  • This is all great advice- thank you! I'm not even sure DH has ever held a baby before, and I know he's never changed a diaper. April should be... fun.
  • workhorses and covers is a dream nb stash for me.  I had 20 workhorses and wished I had more.  As far as covers do try a few different ones of those.  I loved Bummis super bright and whisper wraps for that age.  LOVED.  I didn't love my Rumparooz covers.  I also liked my thirsties extra small for that age but not my thristies duo size ones.  I wouldn't have known any of that unless I tried them out. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I love workhorses- but would never buy 36 newborn size. My first was 9 lbs 12 oz and too big for all the newborn stuff we had. Since then I've never wanted to spend much on the newborn size since it's usefulness is short lived (smalls last longer and one size last for years).
    I would get at least a dozen GMD prefolds- even if you hate them, I guarantee they'll make awesome burp/cleanup cloths.
    As for your husband- even if you think he can/ will handle only one style- you can still get a varied stash- get 8 or so of what you think he'll like (snap workhorses are a good option- mine never did warm up to snappis)- leave those for him and you can try out everything else (as long as his preferred option is available he should be able to handle the existence of the others).
    I think it's a good idea to have a few things to try at first.
    Good luck!
  • Your DH may surprise you!

Mine wanted mostly AIOs/pockets.  Now he uses flats like a pro.

• I'm a minority fan of boingos. I gave birth to a newborn who wiggles like a toddler. The boingo lets me secure one side while wrangling to secure the other.

I thought DS1 was bad about diaper changes when he was little. Now he's a toddler. He's 100x worse now.
  • EssJayCeeEssJayCee member
    edited November 2014

ETA:  Would we be better off doing a newborn trial, like this?  https://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/newbornclothdiaperrental/newbornclothdiaperrental

Okay, say for instance I decided to vary up my NB stash a little... how would this look?  I know I need a few more covers, so I'm open to suggestions.  I also have no clue whether my division of snap newborn workhorses and snapless small workhorses is good or if I should change that up, too. I figured snapless smalls would make them usable earlier on, but now I'm worried about my newborn snap workhorses (which I love the idea of) being too small before baby moves to OS.  I would consider a mix of snap workhorses and prefolds, if that might be a better option.  [I have no clue wtf I am doing]

AIO:
    *Blueberry Simplex AIO newborn, aplix
    *Blueberry Simplex AIO newborn, snaps
    *Thirsties Duo AIO size 1, aplix
    *Thirsties Duo AIO size 1, snaps

Workhorses + covers:
    *Blueberry Mini-Coveralls cover, snaps
    *Blueberry Capri size 1 cover, aplix
    *Rumparooz newborn diaper cover, snaps
    *Rumparooz newborn diaper cover, aplix
    *20 GMD Workhorse newborn, snaps
    *12 GMD Workhorse small, no snaps
    *Boingos 
  • EssJayCee said:

ETA:  Would we be better off doing a newborn trial, like this?  https://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/newbornclothdiaperrental/newbornclothdiaperrental

Okay, say for instance I decided to vary up my NB stash a little... how would this look?  I know I need a few more covers, so I'm open to suggestions.  I also have no clue whether my division of snap newborn workhorses and snapless small workhorses is good or if I should change that up, too. I figured snapless smalls would make them usable earlier on, but now I'm worried about my newborn snap workhorses (which I love the idea of) being too small before baby moves to OS.  I would consider a mix of snap workhorses and prefolds, if that might be a better option.  [I have no clue wtf I am doing]

AIO:
    *Blueberry Simplex AIO newborn, aplix
    *Blueberry Simplex AIO newborn, snaps
    *Thirsties Duo AIO size 1, aplix
    *Thirsties Duo AIO size 1, snaps

Workhorses + covers:
    *Blueberry Mini-Coveralls cover, snaps
    *Blueberry Capri size 1 cover, aplix
    *Rumparooz newborn diaper cover, snaps
    *Rumparooz newborn diaper cover, aplix
    *20 GMD Workhorse newborn, snaps
    *12 GMD Workhorse small, no snaps
    *Boingos 
    A diaper trial is a great idea but what you have is looking really good. I would do a mix of snapless and snap NB workhorses as the NB without snaps fit way longer than the snap ones. I also ended up skipping small workhorses and moving to medium, which I could use as an overnight solution once he stopped pooping overnight. We started using those around 10 weeks at night and are still using them at 5 months.

For covers, you could try some Thirsties Sz 1 covers which are generally well liked and will last for quite a while. You could get a bummis super brite if you might have a smaller baby. They are really tiny though and didn't last long.

And even if your LO fits in the OS diapers, you may still want to use the workhorses - especially once you're getting longer sleep stretches overnight. Fitteds are great for that!
  • abby8279abby8279 member
    edited November 2014
    Looking at your workhorses I see you have the NB in snaps and the small in no closure.  I would suggest the opposite.  No closure fit longer because they have longer wings.  And you get a more customizable fit which is important early on.  And IMO I think putting on a snappi in the dark when you are tired is easier than finding snaps.  Just my 2 cents.  I also like Imagine NB covers (from Nicki's).  They are affordable, snap down really tiny, are not bulky, but also fit for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"