Working Moms
Options

Nwmr: major nap issue

So my son is having major nap resistance lately, and especially right now as I type...at this moment he's in his room, in his crib, no diaper on, nothing in his crib, no sheet on his bed. He removed his pants, diaper, and bed sheet and threw them all out of the crib. He isn't trying to climb out. 

This isn't the first time he's done something like this. If he doesn't want to nap he (lately)  removes his diaper, but normally after he cries it out a moment I can go back in and put a diaper on and then he'll lay down and go to sleep. 

Today he's taken his diaper off more than once. I even put a diaper on and then put a diaper on over it but backwards-which is something I read online. But he busted through that in no time. 

I should add that we've been potty training for about a month now but he's not ready to sleep without a diaper. He's also done the diaper removal when he gets very upset (including taking it off and peeing in our entry way during time out). 

Also, he's a mess if he doesn't get a nap, more than even this. 

Clearly this is a control thing, but I am really sure how to respond since what I've been doing in the past-which I would say is sort of ignoring the behavior until he calms down-isn't seeming to work....ugh. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

Re: Nwmr: major nap issue

• Options
    Cut the feet off of footy pjs, then put them on backwards.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    So....in other words this is a semi common thing? Not to sound like an alarmist psycho but I was thinking we needed a teherapist or something... :\">

\image  image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha. No, I don't think you need a therapist. :). Sounds normal to me. My 2.5 year old has been wearing backward pjs for all naps and nighttime for 2 months! I would just try to stay consistent and talk a lot. Like, "we're going to read two books, then time for nap" then put him in bed say good night -- I also say goodnight to his stuffed animals and walk out. If he throws Everything out of his crib, and he can sleep that way. If my kid starts climbing out of the crib, then I will just baby proof the room and let him sleep wherever he collapses. If he chooses not to sleep he can have an hour or 90 minutes of time alone in his room without me.

I'm sure some other ladies will have tips too.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"