Pregnant after IF

Smartass reponses to stupid comments

So I'm a little peeved.  We tell MIL we are having a girl and her response is..."That's great!  Now you'll have to try again for a boy!"  Woman, do you know what we went through for this kid?!?!?  Calm the fuck down.  I feel like as we tell more people, that may be a comment I'll hear periodically.  I need to come up with a smartass answer - any ideas?

What are some snarky responses you have for dumb comments or advice people give?  I know if I'm going to be a mom, I have to get used to stupid, unwaranted advice...but I feel like I'll have an extra short fuse for anything related to conceiving or IVF.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)

Re: Smartass reponses to stupid comments

• That's what I'd say. Something along the lines of "give me $25k and we'll try for a boy until then this kid is the only one you're going to get"
    Me: 32, DH:33, Married: 8/30/2008, TTC since: 10/1/2012
    DX: Me - DOR & tubal issues, DH: none. 
    June 2004: Ectopic pregnancy with DH while dating
    October & November 2013: IUI #1 & 2 - BFN
    December 2013:Taking a break, trying on our own.
    January 2014: BFP!!!! Ectopic pregnancy ruptured at 6wks1day. Left Fallopian tube removed. Noted during surgery the right Fallopian tube is severely damaged from 2004 ectopic pregnancy.
    April 8 2014: IVF#1 w/ISCI: 10 received, 5 mature, 3 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of all three embies.
    April 22, 2014: BFP! beta #1: 80 beta #2: 211 One nugget! 
    January 6, 2015: Adeline Marguerite is here!!

image image

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • pblgepblge member
    edited October 2014
    Ouch. That's a doozie! Perhaps, "Well if this grandchild isn't good enough for you, you don't have to see her!"

I need a response for people who want to lecture me about my behavior. I told three people at my workplace (mostly higher ups), and two of them gave me stern talks about what I was doing that they perceived to be bad for baby. The first was that I ate something nonorganic (Probably 90% of my food is organic) and the second that I was getting stressed out ( =)) ) which is bad for my blood pressure and for the baby. Any good responses for those people?!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • As for the later comments, I do my very best (but still often fail) to realize that the majority of the population has no idea about the pain and trials of infertility

Ignorance (or idiocy, whatever) is bliss.

To those who knew of our struggles and losses, I don't hold back. No more tolerance for that Sh$t.
    When people are thoughtless and don't consider others feelings, I don't feel the need to spare theirs.
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Ooh ooh I have another!

"Why don't we celebrate this little girl? I really don't see the need to hope for a boy at this point. I am perfectly happy that I am having a baby girl, aren't you?
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Sorry your MIL was an ass... I have nothing I add, but I do like the use of asking 'why?' And turning it back on them!

Congratulations on a little girl! Yay!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • I am on board with the 25k comment. And to add, the majority does have a clue about the trials of infertility so their comments come from ignorance. Bottom line is people say dumb shit without thinking all the time. I am 17 weeks, I have gained about 12 lbs so far and that is with all my meds taken into account and I have people ask me "are you sure you don't have two in there? " ugh. I am pretty petite, 5'4 and my belly just pokes out. People are so dumb.
  • FishyMomFishyMom member
    edited October 2014
    I would have said "I'm sorry your disappointed that we are having a girl, DH and I are both very excited she is happy and heathy".

Congrats on having a girl!! So happy for you.
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• pblge said:
    Ouch. That's a doozie! Perhaps, "Well if this grandchild isn't good enough for you, you don't have to see her!"

I need a response for people who want to lecture me about my behavior. I told three people at my workplace (mostly higher ups), and two of them gave me stern talks about what I was doing that they perceived to be bad for baby. The first was that I ate something nonorganic (Probably 90% of my food is organic) and the second that I was getting stressed out ( =)) ) which is bad for my blood pressure and for the baby. Any good responses for those people?!
    Depends how snarky you want to be, you could say "i forget...remind me where you went to medical school?" but since they are higher-ups I'd just say "yea, everyone has a lot of opinions but I'm just going to follow my doctors advice." Or the funny response "my mom drank through my whole pregnancy and you hired me so I think it will work out"

The stress thing is idiotic...I usually just say "you realized commenting on my stress is making me more stressed right? why don't you book me a massage instead"
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Sounds like our mils are twins. Mine told me not to have anymore kids BC she is happy w how many grandkids she has. I was an ass and told her glad she was able to have three kids and her daughter's had five between them. Glad her life is happy and comfortable but it was a horrible thing that she tell us that and she should be happy if we have another one bc if they ever ask I'll let them know she was perfectly happy without them. Oh and she told me this while my husband- her son was in hospital for week... So maybe I was more on edge but eff it, snarky and honest shut her up and she never said another thing about that
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Sounds like our mils are twins. Mine told me not to have anymore kids BC she is happy w how many grandkids she has. I was an ass and told her glad she was able to have three kids and her daughter's had five between them. Glad her life is happy and comfortable but it was a horrible thing that she tell us that and she should be happy if we have another one bc if they ever ask I'll let them know she was perfectly happy without them. Oh and she told me this while my husband- her son was in hospital for week... So maybe I was more on edge but eff it, snarky and honest shut her up and she never said another thing about that
    I don't think you were rude at all...in fact, I think you displayed miraculous restraint.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• WA1215WA1215 member
    edited October 2014
    Ugh. Yesterday, SIL told me we need to have 3 more. I snapped back, let's have this one first...and we were VERY lucky to have THIS pg. They just don't get it. Those who don't go through the struggle don't realize. My grandma recently came over and saw the room we will use for the nursery and she said, oh this room will fit 2 cribs at the same time, for the next baby. Smh.
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • pblge said:

If only they weren't mostly higher ups, I'd probably tell them that while you already make the effort to eat 90% organic, hunting down that last 10% has just caused you so much *stress* that you absolutely had to take the mitigated risk of eating the evil, non-organic food item.  That oughtta shut'em up.

AFM - We told our family this weekend, and my dad said, "It's about time - What took you so long?"  I had no idea how completely clueless my dad was until that moment.
    I think I said something along the lines of, "Well, if we'd gotten that team of medical doctors involved sooner, maybe it would have happened before."  Seriously dad, where have you been the past 6 years?

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am about to have twin girls and have a 2yo daughter already. Some of the comments you hear are jaw dropping that a stranger would ask that. Are you going to get snipped now? Now you HAVE to try for a boy! One time somebody who has all girls said that it's great and somebody else said that depends on who you ask. I told her it was a good thing God didn't ask her opinion because I love my girls! Besides, the number of kids you have is very personal. If we would have had trouble conceiving the first time around then the decision to try again would have been harder to make. The SIF board talks about it a lot (how people always talk about how you should have another).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wish I had some witty comments! My FIL said something along the lines "oh when you have two kids...." I wanted to say something like you are very fortunate to be getting one right now. He doesn't know about our TTC journey though.

I'm getting a lot of .... "Oh I bet it's twins. Twins run in the family" "No we had an ultrasound, just one" "Oh, well it can be hiding!!" I want to say, well, we only transferred one egg and we had a shit ton of ultrasounds already, so I'm pretty sure it's just one".

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"