September 2014 Moms
Options

Baby K'tan

I can't really get the K'tan on and feel like baby is secure unless I have the straps on my shoulders and down on my arms (see pic below). I have read the manual over and over and don't know what I'm missing. When I have it just on the shoulders, like the pics in the manual, I can't seem to get all of baby in there securely. But when I have it down on my arms, it makes it difficult to move my arms up (like to put dishes in the cabinet), which defeats the purpose of wearing it. Also the fabric wants to slip all the way over baby's head. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, baby's face keeps ending up smashed in between my boobs (which are large), facing my chest. I keep having to move it to the side to make sure she can breath.

Re: Baby K'tan

• Options
    It looks like you may not have the right size, you should be able to kiss baby's head with just putting chin to chest.
  • Options
    So as you are wearing it in the pic, when you slide the material up onto your shoulder then baby feels like she's not secure? When I put mine on it looks kind of like how you have it then I just slide the material up so it's off my arms. I have to spread out the material that is actually touching baby a lot to make sure he's secure. 

Also, how do you actually put her in it? Do you follow the manual leaving one side down around you waste then pulling it up over her once she's in the side that's on your shoulder?  I find that if I put baby over my shoulder and slide his feet in first then he kind of ends up being cradled by the wrap, then bring the other side of the wrap up. That way when he's in there he's turned more sideways rather than his tummy up against me, therefore his face is exposed so he can breathe. This sounds so confusing, I'm sorry. I bet there are YouTube videos on how to get it on, that might help better than my jumbled explanation! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first thought is it's too big. Mine feels like it's nearly too small and I was tempted to try a bigger size at first when I started using it. But it is actually the right size and works great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's a size small. Pre-pregnancy I was a size 6. Currently I'm probably at least an 8. I might be able to place her in there higher than I did in this picture.
    @hizah05‌ I put her in there the first time, as you're describing, in more of a cradle hold, as that felt better. But then I was reading the page in the manual with the improper positioning, and I was afraid I was borderline doing it wrong, so I've been putting her in facing me.
    When I spread the material out to make sure it covers her body well it seems to force the fabric on my shoulders to be stretched down to my arms. When I pull it up on my shoulder, it pulls the fabric that I've just spread over her body off a little, and suddenly an arm is handing out. I don't know if that makes sense. It's hard to describe.
    Is it just me, or does it kind of look like the picture on the box and even @carolyn231723‌ 's picture make it look like the strap is twisted once in between baby and shoulder? Again I don't know if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Hmm... Now I wonder if I'm doing it wrong! He never feels like he's going to fall out though. I also think my material twists up onto my shoulder. I don't know if that makes a difference.  

• Options
    Ok I'll try to wash it and dry it and see if it shrinks. There's actually a video on the K'tan website. I'll watch it again before I try again.
  • Options
    You can twist it on shoulders for a more snug fit. Also make sure to pull the connector piece down as far as you can in the back.
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • Options
    I think every time I put on the wrap, it's on different. lol but glad you could figure out that twisting makes it a little more snug. Also I find putting her in the 'reclined' position vs just straight up and down on my chest when doing the kangaroo hold, works the best to allow the wrap to give her good head support. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    Late on this post but have you tried the hug position? That one is so much easier for me to use without help.
  • Options
    I don't think my LO is old/big enough for the hug position yet.
  • Options
    I didn't realize there was an age requirement for that one - oops :) well it worked for us at 2-3 weeks and I have a small baby (he was 7 lbs or so at that point) :)
  • Options
    This carrier runs really big.  I went down a size when I purchased mine based on other recs I had seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"