3rd Trimester

Things I'll need after coming home from the hospital??

I am a first time mom and I am having a c section in a week and we'll be going to the market on Monday. I was just wondering what are some things that are must haves to get for when we come home from the hospital? Like easy foods to make and such? I'm making a list and I don't want to forget anything. Thank you

Re: Things I'll need after coming home from the hospital??

• Easy food to make is certainly a must - frozen things work great for dinner. Having things like yogurt, granola bars and oatmeal (esp. if you're breastfeeding) are great, because you can eat them at all the weird times of day you'll be hungry and awake. I like to have my pantry stocked before the baby arrives so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff with all the other excitement. 

It's nice to have at least an extra one of all of your personal care items. Plus, you'll want some different options as far as liners/pads/depends...etc. The mesh underwear are great but they only give you so many. After my scheduled c-section I didn't need nearly as many, but the light ones were great to have. Having lots of lotion, chapstick and stuff will help you get back to feeling like yourself. Good Luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • edited October 2014
    Make some freezer meals.  I would say slowly build up like what I am doing. I learned that from my first several Csections and having to be on my feet when I get home. I know you said first time mom, so just the 2 of you at home? (IDK if you live with parents or have step kids). I bet you could make a whole bunch for $100 or less since you will eat less food. Most are listed for 4 larger servings and you make 2 meals at once. Look on Pinterest. If you need suggestions on fast ones, let me know.  I make about 4-6 a week in about an hour around 5 kids.

Chicken Parmesan casserole, green chili chicken/pork tacos, stuffed shells, Mu Shu Pork, Baked spaghetti, BBQ orange meatballs (with mashed potatoes)... all are easy and do not break the budget. I can't remember what else. I have a list of ones my family is likely to eat. You can either toss it all in the oven or crock pot. Microwave the potatoes and toss rice in the rice cooker (best $15 I spent).

Personal items. Look for the night time pads. They are life savers. I know they are like diapers, but they will put up with movement and what not. Every Csection is different, so look for some lighter pads as well. With some of the kids I have bled heavier and longer than others.

Ask/stash some of the mesh undies from the hospital. lol Some nurses will give you a pack to take home. Love them. If not, then get some boy short ladies panties to wear. I hate the way they fit in the legs, but they did not bug my Csection area because of where they sat on me. Also if I bled on them, I didn't feel bad because it is not like I would be wearing them forever. 

Ask the hospital about a post partem binder. My hospital gives you one for free (ok, bills your insurance). I wish I had known them with child 1-3. You will want to wear it the first 2 weeks. Makes movement much easier. Trust me.

Snacks... I agree with that one. And get some water bottles and leave the pack by where you think you will nurse in the middle of the night. I had a rocker that I loved. So I left a pack there. Leave some snacks there too (and a small trash can. lol) I also decided it was easier to sleep in a reclining chair this time around, so I left some there as well. When you are tired, it makes drinking the liquids you need and a snack to munch on.

If you like lotion and chap stick, go for it. I don't. So it was not on my list. Although you will want to get something along those lines that make you feel a little pampered. Does that make sense? Maybe a bottle of nail polish? Something. Sometimes you just need something to make you feel a little better.

DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Loading the player...
  • This what I had for coming home: lanolin, breast pads, stool softers, and pads.
    If I remember correctly that's all I had for myself. However the doctor set me up with tucks to line the pads, epifoam, and necessary prescriptions.
  • Easy food to make is certainly a must - frozen things work great for dinner. Having things like yogurt, granola bars and oatmeal (esp. if you're breastfeeding) are great, because you can eat them at all the weird times of day you'll be hungry and awake. I like to have my pantry stocked before the baby arrives so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff with all the other excitement. 

It's nice to have at least an extra one of all of your personal care items. Plus, you'll want some different options as far as liners/pads/depends...etc. The mesh underwear are great but they only give you so many. After my scheduled c-section I didn't need nearly as many, but the light ones were great to have. Having lots of lotion, chapstick and stuff will help you get back to feeling like yourself. Good Luck!

Thank youu!! I totally didn't even think of snacks like those! And I love yogurt I'll definitely have to get a lot of those lol and I think they give me a bunch of mesh underwear at our hospital but I'm not sure. I've never even worn them lol
  • Make some freezer meals.  I would say slowly build up like what I am doing. I learned that from my first several Csections and having to be on my feet when I get home. I know you said first time mom, so just the 2 of you at home? (IDK if you live with parents or have step kids). I bet you could make a whole bunch for $100 or less since you will eat less food. Most are listed for 4 larger servings and you make 2 meals at once. Look on Pinterest. If you need suggestions on fast ones, let me know.  I make about 4-6 a week in about an hour around 5 kids.

Chicken Parmesan casserole, green chili chicken/pork tacos, stuffed shells, Mu Shu Pork, Baked spaghetti, BBQ orange meatballs (with mashed potatoes)... all are easy and do not break the budget. I can't remember what else. I have a list of ones my family is likely to eat. You can either toss it all in the oven or crock pot. Microwave the potatoes and toss rice in the rice cooker (best $15 I spent).

Personal items. Look for the night time pads. They are life savers. I know they are like diapers, but they will put up with movement and what not. Every Csection is different, so look for some lighter pads as well. With some of the kids I have bled heavier and longer than others.

Ask/stash some of the mesh undies from the hospital. lol Some nurses will give you a pack to take home. Love them. If not, then get some boy short ladies panties to wear. I hate the way they fit in the legs, but they did not bug my Csection area because of where they sat on me. Also if I bled on them, I didn't feel bad because it is not like I would be wearing them forever. 

Ask the hospital about a post partem binder. My hospital gives you one for free (ok, bills your insurance). I wish I had known them with child 1-3. You will want to wear it the first 2 weeks. Makes movement much easier. Trust me.

Snacks... I agree with that one. And get some water bottles and leave the pack by where you think you will nurse in the middle of the night. I had a rocker that I loved. So I left a pack there. Leave some snacks there too (and a small trash can. lol) I also decided it was easier to sleep in a reclining chair this time around, so I left some there as well. When you are tired, it makes drinking the liquids you need and a snack to munch on.

If you like lotion and chap stick, go for it. I don't. So it was not on my list. Although you will want to get something along those lines that make you feel a little pampered. Does that make sense? Maybe a bottle of nail polish? Something. Sometimes you just need something to make you feel a little better.

Thank you so much!! This was so helpful!! I was wondering what kind of underwear to buy I really didn't want to buy granny panties hahah and I our hospital gives us one of those binders too I heard they are a definite must! This definitely helped a lot
  • This what I had for coming home: lanolin, breast pads, stool softers, and pads.
    If I remember correctly that's all I had for myself. However the doctor set me up with tucks to line the pads, epifoam, and necessary prescriptions.

What is epifoam? I've Never heard of that lol but I do have all these things so far. I'm slightly prepared hahah
  • MrsMuq said:

A glass of wine (assuming you aren't on painkillers). :)

Hahah once I'm off the pain killers that sounds amazing

What is epifoam? I've Never heard of that lol but I do have all these things so far. I'm slightly prepared hahah
    Its a topical foam that has a steroid and pain reliever in it but I had a vaginal birth.

Its a topical foam that has a steroid and pain reliever in it but I had a vaginal birth.
    Thanks!! I'd never heard of it before
  • I've heard from friends who had c-sections that high waist pants and underwear are awesome because most modern cut underwear/pants sit on the site of the incision.
  • Easy to make/frozen foods (either store bought or prepared ahead of time), especially things that do not need to be defrosted ahead of time. 

Fiber granola bars, stool softener, the big overnight style maxi pads, nipple cream/lanolin, and any snack type things that you like - a little comfort food goes a long way. 

Other than that (and the things for the baby), the hospital will send you home with what you need to take care of the incision.
  • You may want a belly binder if you're having a section. If you have a moby wrap, it will work as one, too.
  • Making padcicles this weekend, google them, i've heard they're amazing! Got my witch hazel, pads and lavender from amazon.  Got aloe from dollar tree!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would try to stock up on household essentials for at least 2weeks worth for post baby. This way you don't even have to think of Leaving the house if you don't want to. Check that you have enough toilet paper shampoo ect. Sounds odd but not having to run to the store for anything will be amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"