Multiples

Embryo Reduction

Hello,

I am happy to say that after over a year of trying, six months of fertility treatments, I am pregnant. Of course, when it rains it pours, so I am pregnant with four embryos. I have been advised and 100% agree with doing an embryo reduction to two, so I would prefer if no one tried to tell me I shouldn't do that, however there are some complications.  I live in West Africa and there are not facilities to do it here. So I have to fly to Europe or the U.S.in the next week to do it. However, there is no information about the procedure on-line. I assume people don't advertise it as a procedure they do because of the ethical issues and fear of bringing out all the fanatics.  But I seem to be in a dilemma now, I need to find a doctor but no one will talk to me about it.  I am currently looking at the Washington DC Area. or the American Hospital in Paris to do this procedure. I am wondering if anyone has doctors names or practices that I can follow up on with this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
TTC #1 since 2013
Me (33) and DH (29)
2014: 1 Clomid cycle, 3 Injectible Fostimon cycles, 2 Trigger Shots, 1 Artificial Insemination
September 6, 2014, conception of 4 embryos, at 9 weeks determined 1 embryo collapsed and reduced one embryo.
Currently pregnant with twins, due early May 2015.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Embryo Reduction

• That is a tough situation. Perhaps contact a fertility clinic like Shady Grove? They may not do it but perhaps could direct you to somewhere. Good luck

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Thanks so much to you both.  Shady Grove was my first thought and I called them yesterday and they were like, we have no idea what you are talking about, we don't do it, and don't know anyone who does, which is what made me so suspicious. I assume that they wouldn't talk to a non-patient about it, because of the fanatic issues I mentioned earlier. Right now, I am following up with Paris, Greater Washington Maternal-Fetal Medicine and GW Hospital.  No definitive answers yet about ability to do the procedure. GW mentioned a need to possibly go to Cornell in NY to do it?! I can't imagine this isn't a common thing as fertility procedures are so common now?

TTC #1 since 2013
    Me (33) and DH (29)
    2014: 1 Clomid cycle, 3 Injectible Fostimon cycles, 2 Trigger Shots, 1 Artificial Insemination
    September 6, 2014, conception of 4 embryos, at 9 weeks determined 1 embryo collapsed and reduced one embryo.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • "Lurking" many congrats!!
    Hope you can click on this link..
    https://m.humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/10/2228.long

This is out of University of Oxford in Oxford, England! Perhaps consider England as an option?
        BFP: 2/24/14 | EDD: 10/22/14 (triplets) 
    US (with RE) 3/24/2014 (two healthy HB), US (with OB) 3/31/2014 (three healthy heartbeats)

US (with RE) 4/7/14 No Heartbeats :(  | D&C 4/8/14
    BFP#2: 10/22/14 | (beta  #1 75, beta # 2 219) | EDD 7/3/15 ~*Please be our RAINBOW*~
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T

• My fertility clinic definitely does reductions but it's on the west coast of the U.S. Hopefully u are able to find one closer to u. Best of luck!
  • zazu13zazu13 member
    edited October 2014

Thanks so much to you both.  Shady Grove was my first thought and I called them yesterday and they were like, we have no idea what you are talking about, we don't do it, and don't know anyone who does, which is what made me so suspicious. I assume that they wouldn't talk to a non-patient about it, because of the fanatic issues I mentioned earlier. Right now, I am following up with Paris, Greater Washington Maternal-Fetal Medicine and GW Hospital.  No definitive answers yet about ability to do the procedure. GW mentioned a need to possibly go to Cornell in NY to do it?! I can't imagine this isn't a common thing as fertility procedures are so common now?

I know that a lot of precaution is taken to avoid higher order multiples in the states so I don't actually think it is common though certainly not unheard of. My clinic has a case of quads all over the news right now (she is carrying to term - no mention of SR) Who did you speak to at shady grove? I'm sure the office staff at the phones would not have any idea, but an actual dr would have to. I would ask the RE -if you can get one to take the call like you said. Some do phone consults so maybe they wouldnt mind taking a call from non-patient.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• There are a lot more risks with more and only you can decide what is best for you and your family. I support your and every woman's decisions regarding their bodies and children. I know someone who was in the same situation and made the same decision and can ask for a referral but we are on the west coast in Cali.
  • Not sure if RMA NJ does reductions, but they are one of the top clinics in America. You could schedule a phone consult with one of their Doctors or at least call and speak to a representative. Best of luck to you.
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• blueberries8blueberries8 member
    edited October 2014
    That sounds super frustrating. I hope you will find a good lead soon. I don't think SR is super uncommon. I would concentrate more on contacting maternal fetal medicine departments -- I feel like they are the most likely to advise patients on SR and probably most REs refer patients to MFMs to educate re: the risks of higher order multiples even if they don't perform the actual procedure. I can see how RE practices might be more reluctant to talk about it because they don't want to give the impression that higher order multiples are an issue in their clinic. T&Ps to you and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, where I live (Israel), SR is performed by MFMs/perinatologists themselves.
    IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
    IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
    IVF #1 = BFN
    FET #1 = BFN
    FET #2 = BFN
    IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
    IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
    Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
    ~~
    TTC again March 2014
    FET #3 - May/June 2014
    -
    all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
    IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
    beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762
  • We made choice not to have it done we lost one of our quads naturally and have triplets. But I know there is a doc in NEw York City who does them that is where our dr wanted us to go. Also at Duke in North Carolina I was told. Insurance does not core it and it is a very expensive also. Good luck with your choice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe Northwestern in Chicago does them. We were advised to go when we did genetic counseling after conceiving through IVF.we had quads which quickly became triplets, yet they still advised us to talk to a counselor, and potentially do selective reduction. After two quick tests, we were happy nothing was wrong as I did not want to go through selective reduction, and we kept the three.they are now 7 months and almost 20 pounds each. Our fertility work was through northwestern is well.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I found this blog when I started doing more serious fertility treatments. Hopefully this helps you. https://www.mother-to-one.com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hope you get the answers you want.  My only question is...living in West Africa...are you even able to travel out of the continent right now?  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Thank you all for your support and advice.  I am going to post an update now for embryo reduction aka multifetal pregnancy reduction, for others who may be looking for the same information.  I think all these clinics are good to try in the states. I also found one in DC, that if you are looking for someone, send me a private message. I won't release their name for safety reasons.  So what I found out was in the United States, they are more likely to do it at 11-12 weeks, abdominally, we did not want to wait that long. The decision will only become more difficult.  I did some research and in Belgium they will go as early as 10.5 weeks.  I have decided to come to the American Hospital in Paris with Dr. Alain Thebault, he is going to do my procedure at 8 weeks and 5 days. He has been doing this procedure for 20 years and the hospital is fantastic. Even with the overnight stay (because i am traveling alone) it is coming out to approximately $4000 or 3100 euros with all the tests, consultations, anesthesia, etc., much cheaper than the US. Fortunately, my insurance will cover everything. I will let you know when it is all over.

Also, despite my living in West Africa, we are not quarantined.  The American fear of Ebola is much worse than the actual risk anyone is facing, aside from the impoverished patients in the three countries that are facing the outbreak right now.  

Thank you again for all your advice and support, i hope it will come in handy for someone else who is facing the same issues!
    TTC #1 since 2013
    Me (33) and DH (29)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i am glad you got yourself a game plan. After you posted your question I tried to research out some answers to help you out with..... man I didn't come up with much. It amazes me that there are still some aspects of fertility treatments and some of the things that come up and go with them that are still so hush hush. In any case, I wish you the best of luck. please, keep us posted on how it goes and how you are doing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for making a responsible choice to increase the chance of a safe and healthy pregnancy. I hope that your procedure goes well. Peace and strength. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I'm so glad you had a good outcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • greks84greks84 member
    edited November 2014
    So happy everything went well! THanks for coming back and letting us know bc I am seeing this for the first time. And I agree there should be more info about this out there.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"