Breastfeeding

Help! Building up supply question

My LO is just over 3 months and I went back to work at 8 weeks. When I'm home I EBF and that seems to satisfy him enough that he eats every 3 hours. However, when I pump at work I only get approximately 2 oz. At a time and I pump 3 times while at work, but he eats almost 6oz. on the bottle! We've had to start supplementing during the day because I just don't have enough supply to keep up.

Any suggestions on how I can build up enough to get more when I pump? I already use Fenugreek and drink Mother's Milk tea.

Re: Help! Building up supply question

• mananana said:

6 ounces is generally too much per bottle for a bf baby...I would try to cut it down to 4 ounces or so by making sure DCP is using paced feeding - each bottle should take about 20 minutes.

Can you add any pumping sessions to your day? Before work (one side while nursing or immediately after nursing), after baby goes to bed at night.
    Breast compressions while pumping may help.
    Are you using the right size pump flanges?

This is very good advice.  My DS took 3.75-4.5 ounce bottles most of the time.  Really check into the pump flanges- it's amazing what a difference the right size can make.

I had to really monitor my water and food intake.  If I did not have breakfast and then a
    morning snack at work and if I did not drink a TON of water throughout
    the day, my output wasn't as good.

All of this. Also, I had to make sure I was not only eating/drinking enough overall, but eating enough fats. Nuts, avocado, PB, whole-milk dairy, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited October 2014
    Deleted duplicate post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"