1st Trimester
Options

first u/s .... can I request abdominal?

I know the tranvaginal is "better" this early.... I will be 7-8 weeks at my appointment.

I am a sexual abuse survivor and the tranvaginal is just really freaking me out. I don't want to get triggered while hearing the heartbeat or seeing my baby for the first time. Just want a positive experience....

The midwife said they do an u/s at this appointment to confirm # of embryos. .... can't they do that with abdominal? ?

Thanks!
image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: first u/s .... can I request abdominal?

• Options
    DrBatlyMDDrBatlyMD member
    edited October 2014
    First and foremost, I am so sorry.

I don't know what the protocol is in your midwife's office, but with each of my 3 dating ultrasounds, they tried doing them abdominally first. With two out of my 3 pregnancies, the abdominal ultrasound was fine and they got the info they needed.

Absolutely make your preference for an abdominal ultrasound clear. I hope it all works out.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    They will usually start with the abdominal, but sometimes if they can't find what they are looking for they may want to try transvaginal.  They should be able to get away with doing just the abdominal if you are 7-8 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    scoutfinch13 said:

Also, I hate to say it, but there are going to be a lot of internal (vaginal) check-ups throughout your pregnancy. I can totally understand how it's uncomfortable for you, but it's for the health of you and your baby. It isn't easy, but the sooner you start trying to desensitize yourself to it, the better.
    The good news is, there actually aren't very many internal vaginal checkups.  The first visit is usually transvaginal, because the embryo is so small that it doesn't always get picked up by the abdominal.  After that, everything is usually abdominal (or external).  At the very end, some doctors will do an internal check, but others won't and many mothers choose for no internal regardless of the doctor's practices  (for a variety of reasons).

All that being said, if you want the best chance of not having a transvaginal ultrasound, I would suggest seeing if you can push back your first appointment a couple of weeks.  The farther along you are, the more likely it will be for the doctor to see everything externally.  It's more than just counting the number of embryos, they'll do a top to bottom measurement for dating and growth, and check for heartbeat, things like that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Billy, thank you for the info!! Thank you everyone, too.

I know there is a lot I will have to overcome with this pregnancy.

Will be starting a hypnobirth class week 15/16.... which is super early but will give me the extra time to work on breathing and calming techniques. I have found some great people, so hopefully office visits go as smoothly.

I know my sister declined internals for all 3 of her pregnancies and all 3 of her boys were healthy natural births. Just wasn't sure about this first ultrasound. Will call them tomorrow with my request and see if they recommend waiting.

On the office "routine" for pregnancy it doesn't even mention an ultrasound for week 8(but I was told by mw that one would happen for # confirmation), only week 12 so maybe they measure then?

Thanks!!
    image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

They did an abdominal on me when I was 8 weeks with no problem. It depends on a lot of factors, but definitely ask.

• Options
    Also, I just wanted to let you know with the vaginal, they handed me the want to insert and asked me to move it around myself when I had one prior.
  • Options
    You can request it, but they might not be able to see anything or get measurements. I'm very sorry for your experience & trauma.

Talk to your OB. Later, during labor, you will need cervix checks. That might take some preparation with a professional. if TV ultrasound overwhelms, cervix checks might also make you upset.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    clarebear300clarebear300 member
    edited October 2014
    Hi I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 5 days and I had it done on my stomach! Having had two kids before and been put in some situations during labour etc I wasn't comfortable with I just want to give you this little bit of advice... It's your body if there is anything you feel uncomfortable about and don't like speak up... I didn't with my first and it still bugs me now! Good luck xxxx
  • Options
    Alygohome said:
    Also, I just wanted to let you know with the vaginal, they handed me the want to insert and asked me to move it around myself when I had one prior.
    They did this with me too- my first vaginal ultrasound experience was yesterday.  Perhaps giving you more control over the wand would help- I really appreciated that part of it.  I found it to be less uncomfortable than a pap smear, but everyone is different- I haven't been through your experience and I'm so sorry to hear that you've been abused.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BillyHorrible‌ - that's a good clarification, thanks. I'm a FTM, and I was of the impression that there would be a lot of internal checks in 3rd tri. I also have a shortish cervix, so my OB checks it at every other visit, which makes me a special snowflake, I guess. Thanks for clarifying.

I had one internal checkup and that was at 40w.  I also didn't have a dating ultrasound until 10+ weeks and it was abdominal.  The first appointment was to confirm pregnancy and to talk.  They didn't attempt a heartbeat, etc until later when they could do abdominal. 

Basically- you have options and should discuss these with your doctor.  It is not a requirement to date the pregnancy that early or to have numerous internals. 

• Options
    I was 6w3days when I had an abdominal! It can be done :)
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. To my surprise I was able to have an abdominal done at 7w. Fingers crossed you'll see your little one.
  • Options
    I am so sorry about your past. You have gotten some good advice here. I had an abdominal at 9 weeks and OB could see everything she needed to see. I just want to reiterate to please, please make sure your healthcare provider(s) are aware of your past. They should be able to talk with you about measures to make you feel most comfortable during your pregnancy and labor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"