Multiples

twin pregnancy - c-section or natural???

Hello 

This is my first pregnancy and we are expecting twins.  I've always wanted to have a vaginal/natural birth.  I know with multiples it's not always MY choice. I was wondering if anyone has been able to have a vaginal birth with multiples.  I know it's not really up to me but on how things are looking, closer I get to my due date but just thought I'd ask.

TIA!!!!

Re: twin pregnancy - c-section or natural???

• I ended up with a C-section although it was elective after my attempts at a vaginal delivery were unsuccessful (34 hour labor... I couldn't do it anymore).My doctor never pushed Csection and was supportive of a vaginal delivery as long as Baby A remained head down.

At my hospital my dr said it was about 50/50 split for twin deliveries with a small percentage having the "double whammy" (successful vaginal delivery of Baby A, but C-sec for B)

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Both my boys were head down and delivered vaginally in the OR as a safety precaution. I started pushing at 9cm because baby A's heart rate dropped. I had an epidural (which I also had with both of my singletons previously), and had only about ten minutes of pushing for each of them (20min total). 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Loading the player...
  • My MFM plans to do a breech extraction if B stays breech since A is head down.. It really will depend on your doc. Not all will do breech extractions.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I was given a choice of a natural or csection because my baby A was head down but baby B was transverse. They said I could attempt a vaginal delivery in hopes that baby B would flip to head down after A was out. But I ultimately chose a csection because I didn't want to risk having a double whammy (baby a vaginally and baby b emergency csection). I was really hoping for a natural delivery since it was my first pregnancy as well but I am glad I chose the csection. I felt it was safer for me and the babies in my situation and thankfully my recovery was very easy. Most times it all depends on the position of baby A. I didn't choose csection until I was 36 weeks along because I was hoping baby b would flip but he didn't.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Emergency c/s under general anesthesia due to baby a's prolapsed cord. He was also breech.

• My OB is open to a TOLAC if baby A is head down, which he is. So far this pg I've taken the approach that there's no reason not to try, which is still true but I'm now struggling with all the unknowns with a twin VBAC. I know I don't want to be induced so we'll schedule a c/s for the last possible day, and if I go into labour before then I'll see. I know what to expect with a c/s, so that's starting to weigh more heavily for me now that the time is getting near.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a vaginal delivery of both twins at 35 weeks without an epidural, it was a great birth. My labor was about four hours, pushed for ten minutes with a and then two minutes with b. I'm praying for a similar birth with this set, but like op noted, there is a lot out of our hands.
    Two sets of fraternal twins, 23 mos. apart First set born 12/27/12 at 35w0d via IVF Second set born 11/18/14 at 35w6d via FET
  • My team of OB's were all very encouraging of a vaginal delivery for me. However both my girls were feet first so I had a C section. I had a great experience with a C and was very happy with my birth experience.
  • Both of mine were head down from 25w on.  I delivered vaginally with an epidural @ 32w3d when my water broke.  I delivered in the OR also as a precaution.  DS was born, then they broke DD's water and we pushing on my stomach to get her to move down.  A quick u/s was done to make sure she was still head down and she slid out in a push.  DD did have a dent in her head for a few days due to DS's head being bigger than hers.  They were born 17 min apart.    I had a wonderful experience.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Just want to say THANK YOU ladies so much for the responses!!!!!!!!  It makes me feel so much better and relieves a lot of the apprehension I was having. 
  • Right now I am planning vaginal, because A is head down, but I'm getting nervous about a double whammy because B is no longer head down and is now transverse. I think I would feel better if my dr wasn't on leave, because he is very succesful on turming breech babies. The dr I am seeing temporarily doesn't seem as comfortable.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • My doctor only delivered twins via c section as he thought the risks are to high vaginally of something going wrong and lucky I totally agreed with him. So everyone is different all doctors and patients have different preferences and needs no one is right or wrong. Good luck!
  • C section - baby a head down, baby b breech- felt c section was better option
  • Emergency c/s under general anesthesia due to baby a's prolapsed cord. He was also breech.
    This was my EXACT situation in my first pregnancy (singleton). It was a traumatic experience and I am leaving toward another C-Section with my twins.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• What I want to know is if you can choose to have C-section even if you are a good candidate for vaginal?
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Vaginal and there is a sticky FAQ post in this
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depended on the doctor for me. I was originally induced to try for a vaginal birth, but I ended up having them a few days earlier and the doctor on call didn't want to do a vaginal birth so I ended up with a c/s.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had a vaginal birth with my twins.  Both were head down, it was surprisingly easy for me to deliver them.  I had previously given birth vaginally to my singleton, I do think that made it easier for me.  I also recommend an epidural (as did my doctors).  Best of luck to you!

Mom to 3 wonderful girls:
    Eva, born on 1/2/11
    Celia and Lily, born on 5/17/13
  • @greks84‌ I elected a c-section even though both my twins were head down. My first two singletons were med free vagunal deliveries, so I definitely knew the benefit. But ultimately I decided I would rather a planned Csection than risk an emergency one, even though vaginal would be optimal and possible. It just wasn't worth the risk of an emergency c-section or double whammy. It went beautifully and I do not regret it for a millisecond. As far as my doctor/insurance was concerned, twins are a perfectly acceptable reason to elect a csection regardless of positioning.
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • @greks84 - When my twins flipped vertex, I was a little panicked. I had planned for a C-section and the idea of a vaginal birth scared the crap out of me. I told the doctor that and he said my choice of birth was completely up to me (he supported a C-section even if they were both head down). Fortunately/unfortunately, my little girl (baby a) decided to give her mama a break on making that tough decision because she flipped back to breech a few weeks later and has been there ever since. C section it is!

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • @MrsP419‌ and @absolutelymaybe‌ thank you for those responses even though this wasn't my post originally, :)
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • It's possible. It has a lot to do with your doctor too. I delivered my triplets vaginally with no issues.
    Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

• I am one of the lucky few who got the double whammy.  My ideal birth plan was to deliver vaginally with no meds (like my dd was delivered 2 yrs ago).  My ob was on board and baby A arrived as planned, but then baby B's cord prolapsed so I had an emergency c-section. I was already in the OR as standard precaution with twins.  I'm fine with how it went because we did it my way until we couldn't, but both babies are here and healthy and we were well taken care of.  I'd try for vaginal again given the chance, since recovering from that was so much easier.
  • I had a vaginal birth of twin boys with no epidural. It wasn't easy, however, I'm glad  I did.  From a practical perspective, I credit the doula we found who was very knowledgeable and supportive and put us in touch with a midwife practice (linked to MFM) that also supported vaginal birth as much as possible.

I was told that as long as at least baby A was head first, I could attempt vaginal delivery.  At my 36 week check up birth were head first but between then and my delivery date (36 weeks 4 days) 1 decided to flip. Thankfully he wasn't closest to the cervix so I was able to deliver the first and I feel like the 2nd was pulled out (he was smaller and I feel like I was still in shock from the first baby so I hardly felt the 2nd) as he was feet first.

So to respond to your initial post, it's definitely possible. I think to have the best possible opportunity to pursue that, for me, it was helpful to have a doula that was knowledgeable and supportive of that as I didn't have a clue. She clued me in on things I should be doing and thinking about to ensure my body is in the best possible shape to deliver vaginally.  Also, I was induced due to pre-eclampsia but she was able to ask questions of the medical professionals and push for me to be able to come off the IV/meds so I could eat to get my strength up when nothing happened with the induction the first day. She also was able to recommend they give me medication to have a good sleep so that I was as physically and mentally prepared as possible to try again the next day.

It's also good to ensure your doctor(s) and/or midwives are also supportive of your choice.  The first MFM I was going to said straight out that I wasn't going to go past 38 weeks. It sounded a bit strange to me but I didn't know so just accepted. Again my doula was able to provide insight that led me to switching a couple months before I was due as I decided I didn't want to be induced unless medically necessary. My new medical team (midwives & MFM) were supportive of that and I also credit them as well as from my perspective, my faith.

You can choose to have a C-section but you can't always choose to have a vaginal birth and my understanding is it's not the norm, especially with multiples.  Hopefully, those who have posted that they have done it will encourage you that it is possible. I would also encourage you that if you really want a vaginal birth, do the research, prepare yourself mentally and physically and surround yourself with people (especially birth professionals) who can be and are supportive of your choice will try their best to help you achieve that, circumstances permitting.

• Both of my babies were head down and I delivered vaginally. I was relieved.
  • I delivered vaginally, Baby B flipped to breech at some point during labor/delivery so my dr did a breech extraction for him.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"