Cloth Diapering
Options

Will 19 Bum Genius Newborn (xs) AIO be enough?

Yesterday, I found a great deal on 19 newborn Bum Genius diapers, and pounced on it, even though we were planning on doing a mix of sposies and prefolds until our BG AIO and Alva pockets fit. I got the lot of 19 for 90 bucks, so I couldn't pass it up. My question is, will 19 newborn diapers be enough to wash every other day until the AIO and pockets fit? It was over four months until BG OS fit DD because she was long and skinny, and we have a coin-op machine, so I cannot wash every day. Should I get more?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Will 19 Bum Genius Newborn (xs) AIO be enough?

• Options
    Nope.  We recommend 36 newborn changes for EOD washing. 

However... I wouldn't go with all AIOs for the newborn stage.  I would definitely get prefolds and covers too.  I don't want to discourage you, because BGs were one of my favorite fitting newborn diapers.  However, we commonly hear complaints that babies outgrow the absorbency very quickly.  Some have remedied that with baby wash cloths or some sort of small cloth to absorb more. 

Also, just because your last baby was long and lean and didn't fit OS dipes for 4 months, doesn't mean this one will be.  My first didn't hit 10 lbs till 3 months.  #2 was in BG OS diapers at 6 weeks or less I think.  (I don't sleep much, my memories are hazy!)

GL!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was planning on probably doing honest diapers at night anyways, so I wonder if 19 will be enough just to get me through the daytimes?

• Options
    I was planning on probably doing honest diapers at night anyways, so I wonder if 19 will be enough just to get me through the daytimes?
    Just wondering why you are planning on this in the NB stage? If you have some AIO's or fitteds they are just as easy and you are still changing every couple of hours overnight since they poop all the time. I just don't see the point in spending the money??
  • Options
    brownmousebrownmouse member
    edited October 2014
    For one day, yes.  Even if you are going to use disposable overnight (which I don't really understand for the NB days), you would still want at least 24 diapers for EOD washing.
    Brandiewine11AFwifelife I was only thinking of doing sposies at night because I got a bunch of honest newborn diapers as gifts, and it will save us from spending more on diapers. I guess I should have said that we will just be doing a mix, not necessarily at night. I have more than enough OS diapers once he fits those, so the sposies as just filler to get us to that point.

• Options
    mrshudson618mrshudson618 member
    edited October 2014
    I would get more of something. If for no other reason than you really don't want only one type of diaper in your stash in case you don't like them, they don't fit your baby quite right.

But you really do want closer to 36 changes. Last night I went through 4 diapers on my newborn in about 5 minutes. Really.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I am pretty clueless on cloth diapersing a newborn because we didnt really start cloth with DD until like 3-4 months in with a few prefolds/covers and OS pockets. We got prefolds and covers at like 3 months in when the BGs STILL didn't fit her (she was a teeny baby, and is still very small for her age) and DH hated them. He really doesn't want to use prefolds this time (though I don't mind them, so once we run out of sposies, if the OS don't fit, I'll proably buy some and use during the day when he is at work anyways.

• Options
    Try flats.  They are cheap, super customizable, and easy to wash.  You can fold them to look like a prefold too so you don't have to figure out a fancy fold (although the folds aren't too difficult).  Also they are truly one-size so they will fit from day 1 to when your OS stash fits.  I like using them with Blueberry Mini-Coveralls which cover lasted us the first 3 months.
    Oh, I wish I had known about the mini-coveralls with DD. We had two blueberry covers and they were sooooooo bulky when she was small!  My think is, I can only buy used diapers... we can't afford new prices at all, so I am pretty limited to what I can find used.

• Options
    I wonder, could I potentially use these floursack towels as extra liners in the NB AIO if we outgrow the absorbancy?

• Options
    brownmousebrownmouse member
    edited October 2014
    Oh that sis a good idea. I wonder, how absorbent is cotton flannel? I've been making my own wipes, and have a ton of flannel... could I potentially sew some doublers with it?  

I also have a TON of fleece. like a whole bin full. Would fleece work?

• Options
    Ohh  I never thought about making my own flats! I will have to try that. Maybe I can make 8-10 flats and buy a couple covers to get me by until the OS fit so I can avoid buying much else...

• Options
    Polar fleece is hydrophobic. Unless you're talking about cotton/bamboo/hemp fleece, it wouldn't work for inserts.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    That is a great deal!  I love my BG newborns.  We were out of them by five weeks though.  The good news is that you'll be able to sell them for what you got them for no problem.  19 changes however is not enough.  I would say get some covers and prefolds to fill in. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    Love the flats idea. Maybe you could also find some used workhorse fitteds? Maybe your husband would like those better than prefolds.
  • Options
    Jo was a pooper as a newborn. As soon as a clean one was on her tiny butt she was pooping again. So I think we'd average about 15 a day?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"