September 2012 Moms

Thursday Thoughts

So its almost the end of the week.  Random thoughts for the day.  Post them here :)

Today is my birthday and it is my goal to eat cake all day!  I began with a delicious pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin scone from Starbucks.  (pumpkin overload).  The scone was more like cake than a scone as it was covered in icing and drizzled with caramel.  yum!  plus is was super moist :)  I highly recommend for pumpkin fans!
my read shelf:
Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!

Re: Thursday Thoughts

• Happy Birthday @Smb+jab !!  Cake all day sounds perfect!!  

I just found out that our intern from last summer who told us she is coming back full-time after graduation is now not coming back.  I'm really disappointed.  I know people have to do what's right for them, but I hate it when they accept a job offer and then decline it later.  Just decline it to begin with!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Happy Birthday @smb+jab!!! EAT ALL OF THE CAKES!

I woke up with the worst lower back pain of all time. It's no ones fault but my own, I'm sure, but ugh! The chiro doesn't open for another hour, and H is working later than normal so I'm going to have to take the kiddos with me. That should be a really fun time. BUT I'm going to get margaritas with a friend tonight so I'm excited about that. I need to pre load myself up with alcohol because H is going out of town fri through sun, so I'll be alone, which is both exciting and not. Jasper and Briar are both teething... halp. me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Every day a web publication called Dateline is sent out to all faculty and staff.

It's basically a daily newsletter announcing events, job openings, and occasionally the deaths of former and current faculty/staff members.

So today, it opens with the death of a current staff member, who passed away last week unexpectedly on vacation with his family. He was only 38, with a 5 year old and a 2 year old and it's horrible and tragic.

...I scroll down, and one of the next postings is the announcement of a job opening...his former job.

Very tacky, Dateline staff.

• BPer said:
    Every day a web publication called Dateline is sent out to all faculty and staff.

It's basically a daily newsletter announcing events, job openings, and occasionally the deaths of former and current faculty/staff members.

So today, it opens with the death of a current staff member, who passed away last week unexpectedly on vacation with his family. He was only 38, with a 5 year old and a 2 year old and it's horrible and tragic.

...I scroll down, and one of the next postings is the announcement of a job opening...his former job.

O.M.G.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • L had her flu shot last night. She just looked at me when it happened like, mom, what are you doing to me. I felt so bad we went to Target and bought a new book and she got to pick dinner. Dinner ended up being hot dogs, peas, and cottage cheese. My kid is weird ya'll.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • FlamingemuFlamingemu member
    edited October 2014
    poof - wrong thread.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • BPer said:
    Every day a web publication called Dateline is sent out to all faculty and staff.

Woah.  That's crappy.  If it's daily, I would have given it a few days, at a minimum.  And, in general, how very sad for his family - that's so young!

Nowhere near as bad, but someone sent out an invitation for a farewell happy hour for a member of our team, BEFORE the announcement went out that she was leaving the company.  That wasn't the best communication...

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Happy Birthday @smb+jab hope it's a great day. That scone sounds like heaven! I'm a huge pumpkin fan.

My mom as many of you know watches DS for us. He goes to her house all the time instead of ours. I asked my mom if it would be ok to do 1 day a week at our house since she literally hasn't been there since last spring. When she watches him it could be 4x a week. She said ok but was kind of bitchy about it. So yesterday when I picked DS up at her house I made sure she was coming to ours today. She said yea that's fine its just easier when he's here because I can get things done. I totally get that but you have 6 other days of the GD week to get "things done." Is it really too much to ask for you to come to our house maybe 2x a month? We live 2 minutes away.

All day yesterday I thought it was Thursday, then about 9pm last night I realized it wasn't. That realy sucks when that happens.

• smb+jab said:
    So its almost the end of the week.  Random thoughts for the day.  Post them here :)

Today is my birthday and it is my goal to eat cake all day!  I began with a delicious pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin scone from Starbucks.  (pumpkin overload).  The scone was more like cake than a scone as it was covered in icing and drizzled with caramel.  yum!  plus is was super moist :)  I highly recommend for pumpkin fans!
    Happy birthday! That sounds like a glorious way to celebrate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• BPer said:

Whoa, that's bad.

• melody921 said:
    BPer said:

Whoa, that's bad.
    I emailed someone in the Communications department, and I was all "Oh hey, did you happen to notice..."

• Happy Birthday smb!!
    That is way tacky and in poor taste @bper. They should have given it a lot more time.

We're a house full of sickies...again. I really wish Nola would stop picking up every germ out there. And nursing is not keeping Camden from getting sniffly like it did Nola. So much snot!!

Anniversary

• So, we have a foreign company that wants to buy some of our patent assets.

I've been tasked with determining the value of each of the patents based on cost of patenting, market value, etc.

Some of these patents are so old that the legal invoices are scanned all over the place.  Currently scrolling through a 274 page document from the USPTO trying to find invoice amounts.  Happy Thursday, ya'll.

• MrsKipper said:
    Happy Birthday smb!! That is way tacky and in poor taste @bper. They should have given it a lot more time. We're a house full of sickies...again. I really wish Nola would stop picking up every germ out there. And nursing is not keeping Camden from getting sniffly like it did Nola. So much snot!!
    Nursing didn't keep DD healthy either. She caught everything for awhile there. I just told myself it would have been worse without the extra antibodies.

• BPer said:

Wow and i thought the communications coming out of my company lately were bad.  

Well at least the family didn't have to see it; that is just in poor taste!
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • I bought a pair of booties almost three weeks ago. I ordered them in-store and they were being shipped to me bc the store didn't have the color I wanted in my size. They are still not here. :-( I'm thinking they might not be coming. WHAT IS UP WITH THE USPS LATELY?

• When I got to work today, there was a GIANT worm (like rivaling snake length) in the hallway. I jumped over it and got a male colleague to remove it. Sometimes, I am such a girl.

• I am trying to be nicer to the new girl at work. It is helping our conversations. Seriously though - girl needs to calm down on her demands. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • @smb+jab happy birthday!!

@bper I'd bet that's a case of left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing, and the person who types the newsletter didn't use their noggin, or didn't know there was a link.  That is really sad, and I'm sure everyone gasped when they read the newsletter - too soon, for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Welcome back THT. I was wondering where you were. Any news on W?

• I am trying to be nicer to the new girl at work. It is helping our conversations. Seriously though - girl needs to calm down on her demands. 
    I don't know if I could even be not-nice to someone.  Even when I want someone to notice my distaste for them, haha.  SPINELESS :P

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • My bathing suits came 2 days early yesterday. I liked them/didn't like them at the same time so I'm returning for a couple of others. I just spend $250 on bathing suits. FX at least one works. I want something new/sexy for Mexico. Why are bathing suits so hard?

• Also I'm BAAAAAAACK!  I know my absence was probably not noticed by anyone but me, but this is the first thing I opened up on my computer!  YAY for being home!  I leave again on Saturday :(
    I did notice that you were in Nashvegas (on IG), I hope it didn't rain the whole time you were here! 

• Old Navy is having a big sale online.

I am loving their stuff for boys, and I'm usually a big ol' GAP snob.

• BPer said:
    Old Navy is having a big sale online.

I hit up ON on Black Friday for the 50% everything. I like their roll up lined pants and raglans. They have some crewcut looking clothes this year. Not that I'm going to buy a camo sweatshirt, but these are pretty similar (crewcuts has had this design for a couple years though).

ON
    Crew-Neck Sweatshirts for Baby
    Crewcuts
    Baby sweatshirt in camo

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I need a little work advice ladies. I applied for another job at my company last week. The posting asked that I email everything to the director. I haven't heard. I'm a little concerned that she may not check email since it's not a big thing around here for someone not to check regularly. Is it pushy to send the same stuff I emailed through inter-office mail or to put the physical copies in her mailbox?
  • BPer said:
    Old Navy is having a big sale online.

I love ON. Gap is too pricey for me. T trashes most of his clothes. (See siggy). That shirt has elbow patches too... so cute.

• I need a little work advice ladies. I applied for another job at my company last week. The posting asked that I email everything to the director. I haven't heard. I'm a little concerned that she may not check email since it's not a big thing around here for someone not to check regularly. Is it pushy to send the same stuff I emailed through inter-office mail or to put the physical copies in her mailbox?
    Who's doing what with which materials?  Like does your director need to submit a packet for you, or is she hiring for the new position?

Unless there's something I'm missing, I would check in with her (in person) rather than just re-sending stuff.  Then she can tell you if she prefers that you send physical copies or confirm that she got your email.
  • Hyaline said:

I need a little work advice ladies. I applied for another job at my company last week. The posting asked that I email everything to the director. I haven't heard. I'm a little concerned that she may not check email since it's not a big thing around here for someone not to check regularly. Is it pushy to send the same stuff I emailed through inter-office mail or to put the physical copies in her mailbox?

Who's doing what with which materials?  Like does your director need to submit a packet for you, or is she hiring for the new position?

Unless there's something I'm missing, I would check in with her (in person) rather than just re-sending stuff.  Then she can tell you if she prefers that you send physical copies or confirm that she got your email.

No, I emailed my CL and resume directly to her. We work in different locations so it's not as simple as stopping by her office and mentioning it to her. I guess I can call her.

No, I emailed my CL and resume directly to her. We work in different locations so it's not as simple as stopping by her office and mentioning it to her. I guess I can call her.
    I would follow up with a phone call.

Something along the lines of: I sent over my resume via email and just wanted to follow up to let you know that I'm very interested in the position.  If you would like, I can also send my resume via interoffice mail so that you have a hard copy as well.  

And if you get her voicemail, just leave it as that with your contact info if she wants to get in touch with you with any questions.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

Then I would definitely call.  I feel like this is the kind of thing that needs a real-time, direct follow-up.  Resending stuff could leave you in the same spot you're in now :(
  • @mnkate I hope it happens to me soon, I have fatface syndrome and would give up some youth :p

• I think comments like "Be nicer" are not constructive and not helpful.

I mentioned in passing to my boss that we still needed to find a volunteer for some social media outreach that we're doing. We had someone helping us, but she took a new job and can no longer do this too, and we just haven't had a lot of luck replacing her. His response was, "Well, you'll have to be nicer."

Be nicer to whom, jackass? This involves posting an online ad and hoping someone who actually has social media experience bites. I am SO tired of work-related stuff like this that gets turned into something personal. I get it. You don't like my personality. But is that really relevant in this moment? And not that this is relevant either, but dammit, most people I meet would say I AM nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"