August 2014 Moms

Houdini Baby

My LO has turned into the master escapee of all things swaddle. Where do I go from here? Halo sleep sack? Zipadee-zip?

Any personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

Re: Houdini Baby

• Double swaddle!  We used a Miracle Blanket underneath and a velcro SwaddleMe on top with DS1.  It bought us a few more weeks before we had to stop swaddling for good.  After we stopped we switched to swaddling him from the waist down and then to Halo sleepsacks.

• leratowhitleratowhit member
    edited October 2014
    My 11 week old can't break out of the Halo sleepsack swaddle at all, and you can get a good tight fit using the Velcro.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • After mine broke out of his swaddle I stopped and now just wedge him in with a blanket in his bassinet.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Stephy129Stephy129 member
    edited October 2014
    We use the woombie. Neither one of ours was able to break out of that. They make ones that come with a velcro "hug" thing if they like a tighter swaddle but the can't really break out of a zipper. Mine likes a little more freedom so we don't use the velcro thing.

ETA:
    Summer Infant makes a version of the woombie that isn't so costly.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My LO broke his hands out of the Woombie - up through the neck hole! And he is snug in that thing.
  • I don't swaddle. Never have. DD2 could break her arms free before we came home from the hospital, asks she hated being wrapped.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Just started with a Halo velcro arm swaddle. LO can wiggle around and get an arm out but this seems to be okay since he still sleeps. It is very helpful with getting him to sleep faster and keeping his arms from falling back while I lay him down which used to wake him up.

• My LO broke his hands out of the Woombie - up through the neck hole! And he is snug in that thing.

DD did this with the Summer Infant version. It took her no time at all. DS broke out of the Halo swaddle at two weeks old. Both of my kids are very anti-sleep. I've had the best luck with the Summer Infant Swaddle Me. She can still get out of it, but it takes a while, and I usually get a few hours of sleep out of her before she really starts trying.

I'm so disappointed. We hadn't used the Summer Infant version yet we washed them and tried it last night and wouldn't you know his hand were in his face within seconds. I'm so bummed. I literally just ordered two more woombies (since we've had success with those) but the price is so crazy. Summer Infant has always pulled through for us but not this time.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have a big, strong baby and he has yet to bust out of the miracle blanket,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have any of you tried the swaddle up? It might keep them from trying so hard to get out by letting their arms go up, but suppress the startle reflex.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Peaece13 said:

Have any of you tried the swaddle up? It might keep them from trying so hard to get out by letting their arms go up, but suppress the startle reflex.

I've been curious about this one too. My kid doesn't usually do well in the zipper ones because he gets his hands up by his face eventually and then freaks. Miracle blanket has been the only thing that helps. But he's started to learn if he wiggles enough he can get his arms free (I'm talking an hour of wiggling - he's a determined baby!).
  • Peaece13 said:

Have any of you tried the swaddle up? It might keep them from trying so hard to get out by letting their arms go up, but suppress the startle reflex.

I'll have to look that up. Can they move their arms to their face? He likes to suck on his hands if his pacifier has dropped out but we are hoping to prevent that.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Super swaddle that baby! Mine gets out of the sleep sacks and everything, but she's no match for the super swaddle, and you don't have to buy a special thing.

Oh that's cool. We will be trying this tonight! 
  • ChrisseB said:
    Could have been a coincidence, but LO slept from 1015 - 630! Woo!
    Us too!  We were thrilled… but still woke up a few times as we were freaked out he hadn't woken up!
  • dobbysocks33dobbysocks33 member
    edited October 2014
    @redhorizon343‌ thank you so much for that video! Ds was fighting sleep and having a meltdown did the super swaddle calm and asleep within a couple minutes. We've been having a hard time getting him sleep this may be our go to now. You are a life saver.
  • Isn't the super swaddle basically what the miracle blanket does?
  • Did the super swaddle a couple hours ago. I don't have high hopes, because she inexplicably napped for 6 hours earlier so I'm anticipating a long night. Will report back though!
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Did the super swaddle a couple hours ago. I don't have high hopes, because she inexplicably napped for 6 hours earlier so I'm anticipating a long night. Will report back though!
    Well, she slept for 4 1/2 hours, which is pretty normal for her first stint of the night. That being said, I anticipated it being shorter due to her long nap just prior, so I'll take it! 

• We have had 6.5-8 hours of sleep since Friday night. The super swaddle is amazing! THANK YOU for posting it.
  • Thank you for posting the super swaddle video! Who needs a $75 used zipity zip from eBay when you can super swaddle! It's working! Before DD would get out every time and it's been working now for several nights with the super swaddle.
  • Peaece13 said:

We use it and it's the BEST!!

• After getting LO back on a somewhat normal sleep schedule (she was a mess for over a day after that 6 hour long nap), we did the super swaddle again last night. She slept for 5 1/2 hours and would have probably slept for longer if we didn't wake her up for a dream feed. She then slept for another 5 hours after that! 

• Two nights in a row of 9 hour stretches with the super swaddle. Please don't let this end.

• All trying the super swaddle : at what age do you plan on letting baby sleep with arms free? I think I'll try super swaddle tomorrow at nap time.
  • The miracle blanket is the same as the super swaddle. My LO can wiggle his way out of any swaddle at this point (he will wiggle for an hour working really hard at it). Some nights he doesn't try to get out, so we are still okay.
    We've been using the Zipadeezip for naps for about a week or so now. Tonight we are trying it for the first night. We'll see how it goes. He typically does 8-9 hour stretches when he's swaddled.
    He's 3 months today.
  • We will see how it goes with the startle reflex in terms of stopping or weaning him from the swaddle. We don't swaddle for naps during the day so we'll just keep an eye on the naps to see how it might go at night.
  • My LO is trying to roll over during Diaper changes an den can get from back to side, but not yet tummy; his arms are in his way. Don't know that I'll be able to swaddle much longer :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"