February 2013 Moms

Painting the house

I was talking with my mom about the reno we're going to do, and wanting to paint the kids' bedrooms both light gray walls with aqua and purple as accents, but probably not as paint, more like throw, rugs, and frames, etc. She took me by complete surprise and told me that was gross and "double gross." She said I should just let C pick her own bedroom color because it's her bedroom and "C doesn't have a gray personality." (Both direct quotes.)

Knowing that we want to list the house for sale, I kind of want to carry the same color palate through the house, and stick with more neutral walls, and put color in the accents.

Opinions? Am I off my rocker? Gray seems to be the new it color, and I love it.
                We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

Re: Painting the house

• A second the beige-y grey. I've lived in a few apartments that were painted that color instead of white, and it made them feel a lot more cozy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• @Sagen‌ I have that same picture pinned, lol!

Because it's bedrooms, I was thinking a very light, kind of bluish gray. A calming, cool color. Maybe like one of these:

No black or pink accents like the pictures, but probably very close to the aqua in the picture.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • @Sagen‌ Love that!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• If you are planning on selling, paint it a nice neutral like you and Sagen are talking about. My mom never, ever, ever let us paint our rooms. She loves white walls and every single wall in our house was white (except the one wood-paneled "accent wall" in the family room), no matter who begged or pleaded. Her reasoning was always, "It's your room, but it's in my house." :-)

• I find light gray walls with white accents very sophisticated and relaxing. Instead of letting C pick the paint, I'd let her pick a rug/pillows/wall decor.

This was exactly my plan. Except, I was going to veto Disney. I'm so over Disney. ; . She would decorate her bedroom in dayglow pink and Frozen everything if she could. And then she'd want to change it when the next kid movie came out.

Has anyone used the glitter glaze that Disney Paint puts out? Is that really hard to cover up? Maybe I'll put that on her toy box or picture frames instead of walls?

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Yes to keeping the walls neutral. It will help when selling big time. I will totally admit I let my DS pick his room color and will let DD when she gets older, but we are not moving anytime soon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Another vote for beigy-grey - we are looking at a ton of houses right now, and IMO, this is definitely the color that is the most appealingly neutral right now 

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Sagen said:
    I  really like both, I really like this as well, how light it is.. Revere Pewter they didn't name the brand??
    I actually just painted my family room last night in this color.  Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.  It is a gorgeous color.  It is attached to my kitchen and I will be painting that a blue/gray color.  My basement family room and our master bedroom are also gray.  Our basement is Nimus by Ben Moore and the master bedroom is Rockport Gray, also BM.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• I love the idea of painting our living room a beigey-grey, but it's adjacent to our dining room, which has a red accent wall. Do you think that would work?

also, our wood floors are on the golden/yellowy side of the spectrum.  Any thoughts on those next to a grey wall?

• I'm thinking the grey and red would look really nice!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• We just did a very light neutral gray in the hallways and master bath in our house: Horizon, by Benjamin Moore. It's not blue, purple, or beige like so many greys can look; took us way too many samples to settle on this one.  It's bright and we love it. This is the color (not my bathroom):
  • wow, at first looking at all of these pictures I was very impressed with the beauty (and cleanliness) of all of your homes!

I second the beigy-gray in the kids rooms. DD's room is already grey (with yellow & white accents). It's nice and appealing to potential buyers. We're listing our house on the 30th (barring any unforeseen circumstances). Right now I am painting my whole house beigy-grey. The painter said to my husband, "your wife really likes grey, huh?" Well, they are all subtly different. I'm not a big fan of the more yellowy-beiges either. My living room is more of a mocha color, which I love! The paint is no longer in stock ( in my area at least) and our realtor says it's a little too dark, so we are painting over it on tuesday. This makes me sad.

• @wells2010‌ My living room is turquoise and chocolate — I love it, but I fully expect to have to repaint it too.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I so need this post like 6 months from now when we are hopefully getting into a new house!!  I am obsessed with the grays and blues right now.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• If you're looking to sell soon, definitely stick with neutrals. Personally I'm a big fan of "greige." We painted the living room in our house senora gray by Benjamin Moore:

This picture is a bit older, but we have since added a burgundy area rug that goes nicely with the rest of the burgundy accents in the room.

That said, we have a brick red accent wall in the kitchen (cans remember the exact color), and the wall above the chair rail in the dining room is adirondack green, also Benjamin Moore. So we've made some bold color choices, but I absolutely loooove the look of gray walls with white trim and one or two bold accent colors, and I think it would be appealing to potential buyers as well.

• I wish I could start painting tomorrow! But I probably have to wait until spring and after we finalize the kitchen remodel with the contractor we are consulting with.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Can I buy a house now just so I can paint?  ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"