Cloth Diapering
Options

Another Stash Question...

edited October 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I've listed my plan for a newborn stash below and have already started to collect a little but I'm a FTM and DH is not 100% thrilled about this yet.  

The plan is:

2 Nicki's newborn pull over covers (they were on sale so I thought I would try them - any experience with these?)
2 RaR newborn covers (snap)
1 - imagine newborn cover (H&L)
1 - Thirsties duo wrap cover - size 1 (H&L)
2 - other covers - not sure which? Was thinking of trying a Flip or BB?
12 24 - newborn prefolds
10 - newborn workhorses/fitteds
4 - newborn AIOs 
3- Snappis
1 - pair of boingos
2  - Medium wetbags for diaper bag
3 - Lg Wet bags (Home, DC, and one for washing rotation)
Cloth Diaper safe cream

My Main question is what about Inserts or doublers or whatever else I may need. It seems like I should maybe get some hemp or bamboo doublers? How many? I would like this to be as smooth as possible so that DH doesn't get irritated with the process before I've worked out all of the kinks... Any other tips would be appreciated. TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Another Stash Question...

• Options
    Thanks so much! I just typed the wrong number, I have 24 prefolds on my list :)  Flats scare me but I do hear a lot of good things about them so maybe I should try them? 
  • Options
    I would suggest at least 6-12 more changes.  Either more prefolds, workhorses, all in ones, or try some flats.  Flats are good b/c when your LO has outgrown the prefolds/workhorses/NB AIOs, the flats will still fit.  I loved my Imagine NB covers (I had snap though).  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, if you are already ordering from GMD I think their hemp doublers are excellent value. As for how many, I've been happy with only having 6-9. (I have 6 GMD and had 3 Hemp Babies that I destashed because they warped, and I found that annoying). I primarily use them to add absorbancy to an overnight fitted or prefold, or to pair with an MF insert in a pocket. I tend to prefer to stuff my pockets with flats, so there are only a few specific pockets that I used them in just from the standpoint of having them fit better that way. I would say maybe just start with 6 and see if they are something you really like/need, then get more if you feel you need them.
  • Options
    You have a good number of covers.  For the two you haven't decided on yet, Flips and BB won't fit until at least 2-3 weeks old, maybe longer if you have a smaller babe.  So if you do get those, you might be washing your smaller covers in the sink in between wash cycles for a few weeks while you wait for baby to chunk up.  Probably NBD in the long run, but wanted to mention it in case you don't want to do that. 

I count 26 NB changes with your prefolds/workhorses/AIOs.  That's not enough to go every other day between washing.  You might make it every day to day and a half.  You want 36 changes to make it every other day.  

You want 2 large wetbags for home - one for using while you're washing and drying the other. Then if baby will be in DC full time I highly suggest at least 3 maybe four wetbags dedicated to DC.  Washing every other day, you'll be washing two days of DC diapers and then waiting for the wetbags to dry before you can send them back.  So the third bag would go to DC the day after washing while you wait for the other two to dry.  

As far as doublers, during the NB stage you change them every 2 hours pretty much around the clock.  Maybe if you're really lucky you get one 3-4 hour stretch of sleep in there.  So you don't need a ton of absorbency.  There's a small chance you might run out of absorbency on the AIOs and prefolds before baby outgrows them, so if you want you could get a handful of small doublers, but a lot of moms on here just use baby wash cloth or cut up flannel receiving blankets for the short time you need them.  Once baby gets to one-size and starts sleeping longer stretches, that's when you're more likely to need doublers. 

One other thing I noticed was that the diapers you've mentioned are all NB, which is great, but generally NB diapers are outgrown somewhere between 3 and 10 weeks.  Sometimes baby is big enough to fit one-size (OS) diapers by then, sometimes you need something in between like small prefolds/workhorses, flats, or even something like AppleCheeks size 1s or Kawai Pure & Naturals.  You don't necessarily have to purchase anything now, but it's not a bad idea to start thinking about what you might want to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    To sort of ease you into flats, you can just fold them into fourths and use them like a prefold.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone. This helps a lot. You may have talked me into trying some flats.

CLLDLL - Thanks for the tips about the wetbags and the Flips & BB. I know a lot of people seem to have good things to say but I couldn't find a newborn size so I wasn't sure about the fit. 

I do plan to get  a complete stash of one size AIOs before LO starts daycare at 8 weeks (hopefully they fit by then).  I am hoping to get a few different types to try out different styles before that so that I can figure out what will be the best for the baby and simple enough for DC. I really like the BG 4.0 and Freetime right now but obviously I have no idea if I will like those once I start using them.  And if the one-sizes don't fit by 8 weeks... well I haven't figured out exactly what I will do then (cross my fingers in the meantime!)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    KATE732 said:
    Thanks so much everyone. This helps a lot. You may have talked me into trying some flats.

CLLDLL - Thanks for the tips about the wetbags and the Flips & BB. I know a lot of people seem to have good things to say but I couldn't find a newborn size so I wasn't sure about the fit. 

I do plan to get  a complete stash of one size AIOs before LO starts daycare at 8 weeks (hopefully they fit by then).  I am hoping to get a few different types to try out different styles before that so that I can figure out what will be the best for the baby and simple enough for DC. I really like the BG 4.0 and Freetime right now but obviously I have no idea if I will like those once I start using them.  And if the one-sizes don't fit by 8 weeks... well I haven't figured out exactly what I will do then (cross my fingers in the meantime!)

Thanks again!

If the OS AIOs don't fit yet, you could look into the Kawaii Pure and Naturals. They are a pocket, but daycare friendly. They are smaller than one size, but larger than something specifically for NB. Kinda like Thirsties size 1s. Plus, they are budget friendly.
  • Options
    @ flummadiddle85 -  Thanks for the tip. Would it make sense to just use these from the beginning? Are they small enough to fit a newborn or would I still want 36 changes of the newborn prefolds/flats & covers? 

Also, any idea how many diapers I will want to send to daycare each day for the first couple of weeks? I'm sure I'll be able to figure this out once the baby is here but I'm not sure really what to plan for now.
  • Options
    When DS2 first started DC I sent 8 changes a day for a 9 hour day.  He only used that many once. Usually it was 6 changes, occasionally 7.  Once he got to be around 4 months or so he quit pooping all the time and we started sending 6 per day, usually using 4. 

As far as using the Kawaii P&Ns, I think it's kind of a crap shoot.  Some babies have chunky enough thighs at birth to use bigger stuff like Thirsties Size 1s and P&Ns.  Some can't use them for 2-4 weeks.  I personally would still want at least some prefolds/covers because of how easy they are to get a good fit, and you can use them later as doublers/pocket stuffers.   

image imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"