Multiples
Options

Possible newbie?

Okay...this may be a long post. I'm from Manitoba, Canada and here we typically have one ultrasound per "normal" pregnancy (covered by health insurance) at the 20 week mark. I had my first appointment with my midwife yesterday at 12 weeks. When she examined me she noticed my fundal height was somewhere between the 16-18 week mark. She immediately asked if I had my dates correct. I am sure I did as we were actively trying with this one, I was taking a pregnancy test every month and the first 'positive' result I got was from a clearblue test that indicated I was 1-2 weeks (3-4 weeks corrected) the day of my expected period. She had a second midwife come in to confirm the position of my uterus without telling her how many weeks I believed I was. She also put me at between 16-18 weeks. She immediately scheduled an 'urgent' ultrasound for me...but the wait-times here are around 3 weeks. (the joys of public health-care). She informed me one of two things - I'm either 4-6 weeks out on my dates or it could be twins. She is pushing for the ultrasound earlier because if I am in fact out on my dates I have a very short window to have my maternal serum screening done (and any other time-sensitive tests/screenings. The anxiety of waiting/not knowing is killing me. The only thing different I have noticed between this pregnancy and my last was 1. I was showing a LOT earlier (last time I popped around the 20 week mark) and I am currently 12 weeks and into my "comfy pants" 2. I have been exhausted - but thinking this could also be attributed to the fact that I'm two years older, this is my second pregnancy and I'm chasing around a toddler. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm just feeling very lost and anxious. 

Re: Possible newbie?

• Options
    Try to be calm, for now. You are far enough along that a difference of four to six weeks in measurement is a valid reason to investigate further. There are other reasons aside from multiples for having higher fundal height... including placenta placement, larger than average uterus size, excess amniotic fluid, etc. If your periods are regular, then even early ovulation wouldn't make more than a couple of weeks difference from your expected dates... 

Just hang in there. You'll have answers soon enough. I assume she attempted to check for multiple heartbeats via doppler, at least? 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    With my first, at my first appt with the MW at 15 weeks I measured around 20 by fundal height. We had to wait until the 20 wk scan, and it was just one. Just calm down and wait and see. If you want first tri screening it is important to have your dates right, but if you can only get in in three weeks it will be too late anyway.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance. I keep googling what "measuring large" could mean and freak myself out! I got a call this afternoon that there was a cancellation so I am booked for 1:30 pm tomorrow!!! (Much relief!) There is no way I could have waited 3 weeks. I guess they figured I was urgent enough to bump ahead. Will definitely post an update tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Also - does anyone know how to remove my last pregnancy (old) ticker-feed? I am obviously an infrequent poster and bad bumpie! LOL
  • Options
    Yes, she did listen with doppler, after she expressed her concerns but the heartbeat was strong and clearly audible so I said something like, "If it were twins we would be able to hear two distinct heartbeats, right?" and she responded "not necessarily" so still pondering.
  • Options
    Did you have first trimester prenatal care with your first? Were your measurements pretty on track, if so? 

I think you might still have to use the old profile options to change your signature... things have been a little weird since they changed the forum format. Try going to https://www.thebump.com/profiles/brookydj/settings/avatar/Index (I just copied the link from where I did it last time and replaced my username with your's) - when you save it, click the save button a couple of times.... there was an issue for a while where you had to save a few times before it would update. 
    image  image

image image

Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    brookydj said:
    Also - does anyone know how to remove my last pregnancy (old) ticker-feed? I am obviously an infrequent poster and bad bumpie! LOL
    I was going to say that you are probably measuring large because you are 141 weeks pregnant.  :))

Good luck tomorrow. Hope it goes well!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep! Had first trimester prenatal care the first time around, measured near exact the whole time. Had my daughter 5 days after my calculated due date and went into labour the exact date as my ultrasound had predicted. I'm thinking my crappy old computer and outdated browser may be contributing to my inability to change my signature ticker...being pregnant with a soon-to-be two year old would explain the large bump! haha!

Thank you for the luck!
  • Options
    So glad everyone is healthy and you got your reassurance :) 
    image  image

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"