September 2012 Moms

Vacation packing...

What a great topic huh? As I'm sure most of you know DH and I are going to Mexico in December for 1 week. I want to start slowly packing and getting my ducks in a row. We haven't been on a vacation this long in 6 years so I feel like I'm out of my element. Plus the only place I've been out of the country is Canada.

For those that travel what are some tips you've learned along the way? How to pack? Whats in your carry-on? Did you wear your wedding ring (is that weird to ask?) How much cash would you bring? Would you bring any CC or DC? Give me all the advice! :)

Re: Vacation packing...

• I tend to be the over packer and DH is the under packer. I like to have a day outfit and night outfit for each day. The day outfit can repeat, like I would wear the same maxi skirt with a different tank or the same shorts with a different top. December is way to far out for me to start packing now, but you can start making outfit lists to see what extra pieces you want to pick up before you go. I pack the day before and lay it all out on my bed with accessories and shoes. I pack in reverse order, last day in first (this is just an ocd thing with me, I do unpack everything as soon as we get to the hotel). For a week long vacation, I would pack all my clothes and stuff in a larger suitcase and curbside check it. My carry on would be my beach bag, large enough to stuff my purse in. I never worry about putting stuff in my carry on in case my suitcase gets lost. I see that as a chance to go shopping, lol. My carry on is just a book, tablet, snacks, and my purse. I buy a couple magazines at the airport along with a drink.

I do wear my wedding rings when we travel. The only time I was slightly concerned was our honeymoon because my ring was loose, but I wore it anyways. I do not bring expensive jewelry with me other than my rings though.

Amount of cash would depend on where you are staying. Are you taking cabs around? Are you going to be eating out a lot or are you at an all inclusive resort or a resort where most of your meals will be put on your room bill? We are not big foodies so when out of the country we tend to eat at the resort and put it on our room. We each bring two credit cards and leave one each in our hotel safe and carry one each with us (overkill but we have separate accounts so that is the norm for us). 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Thanks @hmp1. I just need to start a list of clothing/shoes I'm bringing. I'm an over packer as well and since we're flying I have to limit some of what I take.

We're staying at all inclusive in Cancun. So I know we'll need $1 bills for tips. I was thinking $100 for the week? I'm not sure on excursions we might do. We're going to decide when we get there. For once nothing will be planned except relaxing!

I was on the fence about bringing my wedding ring but it's not too loose. I would feel naked without it. DH has 2 bands. One he used to wear to his old job and a nice one with diamonds. I think I'll have him bring the tungsten one and if it gets lost it's not a big deal. He never wears that one anymore.

As for a carry on I know I'll want some entertainment like book, magazines etc. I'll probably bring my glasses too just in case for some reason our luggage gets lost <-my biggest fear ever.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh yeah, I do keep my glasses in my purse along with my make-up bag and contacts. I do travel size for contact solution and toss it in there too.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• If your luggage getting lost is a big fear, then carry on your suitcase (or gate check). It will limit the size but I can still do a week in a carry on suitcase, especially beach packing.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Depending on how much you are packing this is what DH and I do.  We pack one large suitcase that is checked with both of our clothes for the week (swim suits, clothes, shoes toilet trees etc) and then a carry on that has at least two outfits for each of us, a swimsuit (flip flops) with required toilet trees (glasses, contact cases, makeup all in small sizes.

If its a longer trip we would each have our own carry on.  Call us paranoid or crazy but we have lost luggage one to many times so we just always have what we need for a day or so with us.     Also if its a short trip we tend not to check.  we are efficient packers :)  And the carry on suitcase is in addition to a purse for me or a laptop bag for him.  So you can still bring a bag with you that fits under the seat.  We both usually do for reading material and a snack.

Plus i would check out to see what the hotel / resort you are staying at has so you don't need to pack it (i.e do they have a hair dryer that you would use, provide beach towels etc.) all of that saves space.
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • For a week in warm weather, we usually only pack carry on. I pack 10-12 outfits for a week with a few extra tops. I don't normally wear very many accessories while we are on vacation because I don't want to lose anything or get weird tan lines. I wear my rings, unless I am doing water sports when I put them on a necklace.

I list out every item I use daily (toiletries to include razor & shaving cream, charges, etc.) and make sure I have enough to get me through a week. 

You're going to Mexico right? I have stayed in dive resorts and fancy schmancey resorts there. They all have their issues with personnel. I have not used a hotel safe since I walked in to a manager of the resort counting the cash I kept in there. I usually hide valuables in the lining of my suitcase. 

If you are strapped for space, I just used the suitcase space bags, the ones that you just roll to get the air out, and they worked really well. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • You're going to Mexico right? I have stayed in dive resorts and fancy schmancey resorts there. They all have their issues with personnel. I have not used a hotel safe since I walked in to a manager of the resort counting the cash I kept in there. I usually hide valuables in the lining of my suitcase. 
    What???  What did the manager say when you walked in???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Things that aren't easily replaceable stay on my body/ in my sight. I would probably bring $300 to an all inclusive resort. I've never been to Mexico though, and I don't know their atm/credit card fees. I usually break up the cash. Some in my wallet, some in my carry on, some on H. I bring 3 outfits for every 2 days, trying to make sure I can wear each pair of shoes with multiple outfits.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Make sure you tell your bank/cc company that you will be out of the country so they don't turn your card off for suspicious spending.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I always bring an extra outfit and a swimsuit in my carryon, that way if stuff gets lost I can still enjoy the first days of my vacation. I also bring gallon size ziplock bags in my bag and a flashlight, because I'm weird.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AKB090609 said:
    I always bring an extra outfit and a swimsuit in my carryon, that way if stuff gets lost I can still enjoy the first days of my vacation. I also bring gallon size ziplock bags in my bag and a flashlight, because I'm weird.

I'm thinking of bringing a nightlight hahaha. Its hard to find the bathroom in the MOTN when you're in a weird place. I've been doing this for a while especialy with DS in tow usually. We're both weird then :)

• Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I know I need to start making a list of things I need/want to bring. I appreciate all the input! This really has me thinking!

• One thing I started doing a long time ago (DH and I used to travel a lot) was made a "master" packing list online.  I modified it for the beach, camping, etc and have now added a list for each kid. It makes it really easy to not forget things!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • FlamingemuFlamingemu member
    edited October 2014
    pharmer78 said:
    You're going to Mexico right? I have stayed in dive resorts and fancy schmancey resorts there. They all have their issues with personnel. I have not used a hotel safe since I walked in to a manager of the resort counting the cash I kept in there. I usually hide valuables in the lining of my suitcase. 
    What???  What did the manager say when you walked in???
    Legit said - I was just checking to see if it was all here. 

Like he knew what should have been there. Said there had been thefts on property so they were verifying that all safes were in use and locked - both of which ours was. Lucky for us, he had an override. 
    8-|

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Ridiculous @Flamingemu!!!!    I would be livid. 

• pharmer78 said:

Ridiculous @Flamingemu!!!!    I would be livid.  

We were. Funny thing is, we faced the same things all over Mexico.  That particular trip was with my mom & little brother who was 10ish at the time. We just hid things in his dirty clothes pile. Ha!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"