February 2013 Moms
Options

Grammar Rant

AmstreagleAmstreagle member
edited October 2014 in February 2013 Moms
I have noticed so many grammatical errors on each board I visit and it's beginning to drive me insane. Please excuse my vent.
Advice vs Advise: Advice is a noun, and is a recommendation to future action whereas Advise is an a verb, and is a suggestion to someone's best course of action.
There, their and they're: There describes a location, their describes possession whereas they're is a conjunction of they and are.
Lose vs loose: Lose is a verb meaning to have lost whereas loose is an adjective opposite of tight.
Your vs you're: Your suggests possession whereas you're is a conjunction of you and are.
Could of does not equal could've.
Quite does not equal quiet.
Punctuation is not optional andplusalso use spellcheck!
With my luck this post is just riddled with grammatical errors. Vent over......Although I'm still quite irritated.

Re: Grammar Rant

• Options
    AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    The same things bother me. It's not just on the boards though, it's everywhere. It's not going to change so you might as well accept that not everyone cares about or is good at grammar. I didn't see this one mentioned in your post, but here's a website about people combining the words "a lot" that makes me laugh: https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html 
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lose vs loose: Lose is a verb meaning to have lost whereas loose is an adjective opposite of tight.

This one seriously sends me over the edge in a crazy way!  I don't know why, but it BUGS.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    I dont use punctuation. I type too fast and just dont care to strike the extra key. See how many times I type dont without the apostrophe? I also dont use capital letters most times. If thats the worst thing in your life to consume your thoughts...you are so so lucky .
  • Options
    I did fix my post. I too am on mobile 99.9% of the time. And since the new update/new phone it has been "correcting" too much too incorrectly. Most the time I catch it, other times I don't.

Together since July 21 2002

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Internet, I don't care. It's the work emails that drive me crazy. VP Biden came to LA and an agency I do contracted work for sent out an email about "Joe Bide" visiting LA so plan your commute accordingly. They send out so many emails and most are riddled with errors and it bugs. The field is interpreting and we are supposed to be very proficient with the languages we interpret ... But apparently English doesn't matter.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited October 2014
    Saw this today and it seemed appropriate to share.

• Options
    I don't like it when people say "anyways."

Relevant? 

• Options
    Saw this today and it seemed appropriate to share.
    Thank you for this! I definitely come down on the side of "So what" when it comes to grammar errors on an online forum. Confession: I do not proofread every post before putting it up, and in the past I have even noticed that I've accidentally switched a they're/there or you're/your  ::gasp::. Not because I don't know which is correct, but because I'm typing fast and don't read over everything again.

Perhaps instead of assuming that someone who makes an error is an idiot and isn't familiar with correct grammar, you could give them the benefit of the doubt, assume it was an autocorrect error or a typo, and get on with responding to the content of what they posted.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    ohlordy said:
    Internet, I don't care. It's the work emails that drive me crazy.
    But yeah, work e-mails definitely need to be proofread if you're prone to typos or autocorrect problems. In my previous post I was only referring to TB and other online boards.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"