September 2014 Moms
Options

When does postpartum weight loss taper off?

Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
edited October 2014 in September 2014 Moms
Any STM's remember when the PP weight loss tapered off? Just curious since we can't work out right away. Does breastfeeding make any difference?

Just wondering how much longer till I have to start making an effort to stop eating the pregnancy ice cream...

Re: When does postpartum weight loss taper off?

• Options
    It depends on the person. Some leave the hospital at pre pregnancy weight. Breastfeeding can even delay weight loss in some.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DS1 I lost about 70?% of my baby weight the first few weeks. When I stopped bf when he was 3 months old, I lost a little more, but kept 10 lbs. This time seems to be the same.
    imageimage
  • Options
    With my first, I fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans at about 2 weeks PP. I was also breastfeeding. This time I've still got 20 pounds to lose 1 month out, and I'm not breastfeeding. Seems to have made a difference for me. And I don't think I've lost any weight in the last week or two; if anything, I actually gained a little bit. I guess I'm going to have to get more serious about my bad snacking habits. But yeah, it's different for everyone and each pregnancy is different too. 
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks...now I'm 7 weeks out and haven't lost anymore...still 20 lbs to go. I'm EBF and it's not helping :( 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Options
    I'll be 6 weeks PP tomorrow. I am 6 pounds away from my pre pregnancy weight. I am breastfeeding so I think personally that is helping because I gained a lot of weight, about 50 pounds while pregnant.

Each woman is different though and will lose at different rates. I didn't worry about losing until I had my PP appt on monday and was cleared to start working out. Now I have to find the time and energy to do that.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I lost weight during my pregnancy and was 15lbs below my pregnancy weight right after birth. I'm 6 weeks out and have pretty much maintained my weight, even with eating some crappy food. Now that I'm back to work, I'm back on my eating schedule with healthier foods so we'll see what happens. I've also just started exercising again and am BFing
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    wieb67wieb67 member
    edited October 2014
    I lost 23 lbs in the first 2-3 weeks and it has stayed close to the same since then...I have about six lbs to go. Working on eating healthier so hoping it slowly comes off.

Edit: I'm five weeks pp today
  • Options
    I lost half the weight 2 weeks pp, now I'm slowly peeling off the rest of the pounds.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    I weighed myself last at 3.5 wks PP and was 3 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. I BF for first 3 weeks, now FF. My stomach has continued to look noticeably smaller but my pre-pregnancy jeans definitely still don't fit. I can squeeze into them but they are uncomfortable and I look like a slob with my extra jiggle now hanging over the top lol. Everyone I've talked to says it takes a few months before that soft jiggle goes down, so I am embracing my new body (at least for now) and bought some bigger jeans so I'm not limited to my maternity pants. :)
  • Options
    What I want to know is does age make a difference as I'm 37 and have only lost 11 pounds after six weeks. I also want to know if having been overweight for most of my life, but not the last seven years, makes my body not want to lose. I realize these may be impossible to answer, but I am feeling sorry for myself and dreading the diet and exercise needed to lose the 30 pounds left. Waaaaah!
  • Options
    Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks everyone. I'm EBF and I lost about 22 of the 42 I gained in the first two weeks, so I'm trying to figure out how difficult this last 20 will be. In the meantime I'm taking advantage of having boobs for the first time in my life. Had no idea what I was missing!!
  • Options
    With DD I didn't gain very much and lost it all plus 4 extra pounds 2 weeks pp and was BFing. I stopped BFing her at three weeks and gained those four pound back and maintained it pretty well.
    With DS I lost 20 pounds at 2 weeks pp I've got 5 to go, I'm BFing I'm hoping those last 5 come off when I stop BFing. I'm also not clear for exercise yet so I'm still waiting for that too.
  • Options
    I lost 15 pounds a week pp and then 10 more after that, but I have a feeling a lot of that was water weight, since I had pre-eclampsia. I'm now 13 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm hoping those start to come off soon, now that I am cleared for exercise. 
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• Options
    I gained 35 lbs, lost 15 lbs in the first week. 7 weeks PP, EBF & I haven't lost a stinking pound since then. I'm so much hungrier now that I'm BF than I ever was during pregnancy. I'm a runner but quit running around 19 weeks due to pelvic pain. So I started couch to 5k to get back running about 2 weeks ago. Hoping that helps because I'm too scared to diet and mess up my milk supply. For now, I went and bought 3 new pair of pants so I don't have to live in maternity jeans.
  • Options
    3rd time mom here! With my second I was pre pregnancy weight by 3 months just breastfeeding. No working out. So far with this one I have lost 20lbs still have 20 to go but we are only one month in. It takes time! Eat your ice cream I am!
  • Options
    I'm below my pre-pregnancy weight now. I've lost 22 lbs since I was admitted to the hospital to be induced. I haven't had any appetite for the past 5 weeks and was eating like crazy until LO was born. I'm hoping to start exercising after my appointment on Monday.
  • Options
    saraeric said:

I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks...now I'm 7 weeks out and haven't lost anymore...still 20 lbs to go. I'm EBF and it's not helping :( 

This.
    And I have zero motivation to work out or eat healthy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I'm 5.5 weeks and still have 5-10 lbs to get to pre pregnancy weight. But I never really lost all my weight the first go around. So total I have like 30 lbs to go! Gag. Emotionally I've been in a shitstorm so I really haven't felt like eating very much. Which probably isn't helping, my body is probably grabbing a hold of every measly little carb and calorie it can get!! Lol
  • Options
    FTM here.  I had a c-section and have already lost everything I gained during my pregnancy, but nothing is exactly in the same place it used to be and my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit.  For me it's not so much about weight, but tone and getting back into shape.  I'm looking forward to getting the all clear to work out again.

• Options

FTM here.  I had a c-section and have already lost everything I gained during my pregnancy, but nothing is exactly in the same place it used to be and my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit.  For me it's not so much about weight, but tone and getting back into shape.  I'm looking forward to getting the all clear to work out again.

This exactly. Except I'm a STM and had a Rcs so everything just hangs. I've been cleared to walk but I still have to wait to do any real toning exercises and it's driving me crazy.
  • Options
    I lost 33 lbs in the first two weeks. About 10 more till pre-preg but about 25 from ideal. Really looking forward to working out again.... The hardest part will be finding time....
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• Options
    The first time i was down to pre-pg weight at 2 weeks pp (twins and section). I was EPing at the time. But 4 weeks pp I was 20 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight and that is where I stayed. This time I gained about 30 lbs. I lost at least 10 lbs from giving birth since my baby was almost 9 of that. I'm 4 weeks pp I still have 10-15 lbs to go. I think now that the soreness is gone I'll be walking more now so I'm hoping it will come off

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"