High-Risk Pregnancy

High risk due to Epilepsy

cwiceangelcwiceangel member
edited October 2014 in High-Risk Pregnancy
So I'm high risk due to epilepsy. FTM and was really just curious if any other ladies are in the same position. I'm on the generic lamictal xr and just curious how your neurologists are dealing with your pregnancy. Adjusting meds, etc.
edit:
(I posted a minutes ago asking what others are going through or have. For some reason another post didn't show. So apologies for a repeat discussion.) :-/
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: High risk due to Epilepsy

• Same boat. I'm on the generic form of keppra. I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and my seizures consist of feeling like everything is fake, intense fear, and loss of motor function. They got worse after I got pregnant, probably due to the hormonal changes. I've been much better since hitting the second trimester. Best of luck to you and your little one!!! Stay safe!
  • Thanks. Luckily I've been fine. Just had the meds increased going into second trimester. Best of luck to you as well!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have grande mal seizures and am on topomax. This is my second pregnancy. I'm monitored throughout. I get worse throughout my pregnancies due to hormones. Good luck to you all xo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hello I have epilepsy as well. My DH and I are talking about our options for starting a family and I saw this post. Have any of you had seizures while pregnant? What happens when you have a seizure during the pregnancy?

@skupski83- are you still able to drive eventhough you are having seizures? I would have to adjust my meds completely. Has anyone had to do this?

• Hi @nikiruise I have never had a seizure while I was pregnant but have had my warning sign telling me I was at risk of having one. My meds stopped the seizure from happening. I haven't had to adjust my meds while pregnant. I hope this helps xo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks @Leighann2131!

We have some decisions to make, and its nice to see others have been succesful in the same situation.

• I just wanted to wish all you ladies good luck! My younger sister has epilepsy and I know how tough it can be to find the right cocktail of meds to control seizures. Hoping the best and success for all of you!:)
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Lurker from pgal*** I have complex partial seizures. I am on lamictal and keppra with vagus nerve implanted. I have 2 1/2 yr old and 31 pg with girl. My seizures happened a little more in 1 st trimester than ok rest of pg. I think throwing up some med from ms caused it maybe. They haven't had to adjust my meds , but usually they do. My med levels are checked every two to three months! Good luck!
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • I have epilepsy and I'm on Carbatrol which has sadly put my unborn child at a higher risk for spina bifida. We're going to monitor the fetus and do any necessary tests to determine the best we can if the baby will be born with any birth defects (it's still too early to tell). I'm taking 4mg of folic acid throughout the whole pregnancy and I'm not coming off my medication since the risk of me having a seizure is greater than the possibility of the fetus developing spina bifida. It's very stressful, but my neurologist has reassured me that most women who have epilepsy and are pregnant either have the same seizure frequency during their pregnancy or they get better. I'm seizure free when I'm on medication, I' hope that doesn't change. Of course, I'm getting a blood test done soon to determine if my medication needs to INCREASE because it sometimes becomes less effective when you're pregnant. 
  • I got results from blood work today!  Risk for neural tube disorders is REALLY low so yay for that.  We will find out for sure on Monday if the ultra sound and blood work correlate.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello I have epilepsy as well. My DH and I are talking about our options for starting a family and I saw this post. Have any of you had seizures while pregnant? What happens when you have a seizure during the pregnancy?

@skupski83- are you still able to drive eventhough you are having seizures? I would have to adjust my meds completely. Has anyone had to do this?

Sorry for the late reply! I do drive, but I don't experience grand mal seizures. I did have an issue with starting to have déjà vu while driving, big I was able to get home and rest. Also, I did something very stupid and stopped taking my seizure meds all together. Im experiencing break throughs, but I'm so nervous about even the minor possibility of side effects. I'm sure your doctor will be able to help you set up a protocol that's safe for you and your baby. Best of luck!!!
  • Went to the anatomy scan today. Baby is looking perfect so no defects due to medication! Yay!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"