January 2014 Moms

Any EBF to supplementing with formula?

After 9 months of EBF while giving maybe three bottles per week, I am now at a point where I feel that my supply is not meeting LO's needs and that I need to supplement my nursing sessions with formula. I'm not sure how to do this without running the risk of weaning him from the breast and I do not want to do this. Ideally I would be able to start by nursing and move to the bottle to complete a nursing session. The problem is that my LO is a total busy body who is impatient with my slow letdown and easily distracted. I'm afraid that he'll reject the breast if he knows that a bottle will follow. If anyone has experience with developing a happy balance, please let me know!
Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any EBF to supplementing with formula?

• I have been supplementing, but also am working on weaning. My LO has no problem going back and forth from bottle to boob - she loves nursing that much. I've always used the slow flow nipples for any bottle she's given - so she's gotta work to get it either way. I would start there and see what happens! good luck!

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• We had to supplement early on. I would nurse then give a bottle and he'd still happily take the boob. Eventually I was able to drop the formula for the most part. We've always kept some on hand and have occasionally needed to use a little (I just buy the small ready to feed now since we ended up throwing out the powder cans after opening). But...the last couple weeks pumping has gone to shit. Work has been crazy and I've had a lot of meetings and events that have delayed pumping, so I'm all over the place. I've had to dip into the freezer a lot, and I'm down to one full bottle and a couple bags of extra ounces in there. I think we're about to have to begin giving formula for one daycare bottle unless there's some miraculous supply recovery in the next couple days.

Sorry, that's not much help as far as giving bottle in addition to or instead of boob specifically. I think that's going to just depend on the baby. Just wanted you to know there are a lot of us who have supplemented or are suplementing, or are getting very close to it. Good luck!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your feedback!
    @esd, LO takes 3-5 bottles per week which are breast milk.

I fear that he's not getting enough because when he does have those 'bad' nursing sessions, he flutter sucks then pulls off the boob and starts crying and struggles to recover. When I re-offer the boob, he latches with gusto but gets frustrated and pulls off. Then when I give him solids 45 mins later, he's really hungry.

I've learned that I'm PMSing which has contributed to an even slower letdown, diminished supply, and I guess the milk can taste funky to the lil dude. He's also in a wonder week so that brings some context to why he's been responding this way.

It's helpful to know that your LOs still love the boob. And to normalize how emotional I feel about it! I'll let this week unfold and see where we are when I go to his 9mo doctor visit on Friday.

Thanks again!!

• I've been able to supplement without detriment to my supply. In fact, it has taken off some pressure which helps me to relax.

We usually do it at the 10pm feeding, or before I get home.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Similar story here. I'm pregnant (!!) and my supply has tanked. It's been kind of gradual but now we're in a good routine where I BF only in the morning and again at bedtime. She'll usually take a bottle after bfing in the morning as well, a good sign that I'm not producing enough to keep her happy but the bfing at least buys me some extra time in bed in the morning until I have to get up to make the bottle! All her bottles during the day are formula, and it's working well. I'm also a bit sad about not EBFing anymore but there just isn't a thing I can do about it so am making the best of it and enjoying some of the perks, like the fact that I haven't touched my pump in three weeks. Kinda nice to be honest! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"