Cloth Diapering
Options

BumGenius4 wicking?

Hi all. Sorry I don't post much anymore, but I have a problem and I can't seem to find any info on this situation and you all are a great source of wisdom.  
So I have the BumGenius 4 (and some of the Nicki's pockets-similar style) and they are wicking at the leg openings.  I did not notice it much over the summer (because I almost never put pants on him-even at night), but now that it is getting cooler and pants are needed, they wick like crazy.  It isn't that the diaper is crazy soaked-a first pee will do it.  Am I doing something wrong or is it a structural issue?  The way the diaper is built seems like it is just meant to do that, with the lining coming right to the edge.  Is there a trick to putting it on that I don't know about?  He has skinny legs and waist and is still on the lowest rise, if I raise it up the leg holes are gaping.   I cold rinse, hot wash in BumGenius detergent, cold rinse, extra rinse.
TIA
BFP#1: EDD 10/11/11 Our sweet boy Robin was born 7 weeks a little early on 8/23/11 due to HELLP syndrome, unfortunately he was diagnosed with Trisomy13 and left us on 8/29/11. BFP#2: EDD 10/13/13
thelossblog.blogspot.com

Re: BumGenius4 wicking?

• Options
    Mapleme said:
    If the legs are gaping the diapers aren't wicking, but just plain ol' leaking. Try adjusting the rise (up or down) to see if you can get a better fit, but you might just be going though a odd-fit stage (one of the advantages of a varied stash). You can either struggle through this stage and hope it ends soon, or get a couple other types of diapers to get you though.
    Sorry if I wrote that wrong.  The diapers are only gaping if I do adjust the rise higher. They wick even on the tightest rise.
    BFP#1: EDD 10/11/11 Our sweet boy Robin was born 7 weeks a little early on 8/23/11 due to HELLP syndrome, unfortunately he was diagnosed with Trisomy13 and left us on 8/29/11. BFP#2: EDD 10/13/13
    thelossblog.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Maybe your inserts are repelling then? 

If they are leaking with just 1 pee, I'd bed that is the case. You could try some hot water washes with no detergent and see if you have some buildup that is causing the problem. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks all.  I have thought about repelling, but wasn't too sure what would be causing it, therefore, how to remedy it.  I recently switched to washing the inserts and covers separately because my washer is on the smaller capacity size and that seemed to make them smell better, so I guess I maybe have a urine buildup?  I don't know.  I'll try the hot washes this weekend and see.
    thelossblog.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Thanks. You are right about the detergent.  I didn't adjust it once I went to smaller loads.  Hopefully the hot plain washes will help.
    thelossblog.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I hope it works. Just do it until you don't see any suds or the water is clear. If that does not fix the problem come back and we can troubleshoot more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"