Breastfeeding
Options

Night weaning - need help

Hi Ladies,
I’ve posted before about this but the issue has not gotten any better so I’m back for some advice.
My DD is almost 15 months old and while we have weaned from bf during the day the night feedings are still occurring anywhere between 4-8 times/night. We’re all exhausted. She awakens, sits up and cries. I’ve tried putting her back down without nursing but she just cries until she’s hysterical. During these night wakings she won’t take a pacifier, bottle or cup with water, milk, breastmilk. I’ve tried them cold and warming them. Nothing seems to work. She just wants the breast. My supply has really tanked after she turned 1 and I know she is not getting much. She has enough to eat and drink during the day so I don’t think she should be getting up so often hungry/thirsty. I think it’s mostly out of habit and that is her association to sleep. I get so tired and frustrated I end up just nursing her to get her to fall back asleep. I’ve tried to let her cry it out a few times but every time, not even 5 min into it, she gets so hysterical and poops herself or vomits. She doesn’t calm down for my DH either; she just wants me. To make matters worse, her teeth have punctured my left nipple so that there is a chunk of flesh missing and everytime she nurses her teeth get into that wound and it is extremely painful. Any suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Night weaning - need help

• Options
    I know for me, I just continued to nurse during the night. My LO is now 17 months, and she wakes once per night. Is there any chance that she just really wants to nurse, and she knows she can only do it at night? Maybe if you nursed her a couple times in the day, would that potentially help?

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Oh gosh, that sounds really rough.  Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.
    When you initially put her down for the night, do you nurse her to sleep?  If so, I would suggest trying to break this association and that could help with the night wakeups.  I know it's easier said than done.  When I was trying to break my son of the habit of being rocked to sleep, I used the Sleep Lady Shuffle and had success with that.  Good luck!  Hang in there!
    p.s. And for the chunk of flesh missing, have you tried changing her position so her teeth aren't hitting that spot?  I had problems with my son's teeth scraping and ended up nursing him in some funny positions until the spot healed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CNYBride05CNYBride05 member
    edited October 2014
    That's a lot of waking :(. My girls are the same age and I'd guess they wake and nurse 3-4x from 10p-6a and I'm exhausted! I wish I had words or wisdom or a solution for us both!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• Options

When you initially put her down for the night, do you nurse her to sleep?
    Thanks for the advice and kind words!
    I nurse her in a rocking chair then do bath and storytime before I put her down. She used to take a pacifier and fall asleep relatively fast with my rubbing her back and making a shhhh sound. I was hoping that by not nursing her to sleep it would set the tone for the rest of the night and she'd learn that she can fall asleep without needing to nurse but that never happened. I was using this system of not nursing her to sleep for about a month but about a week ago she won't go to sleep unless she nurses. She won't take a pacifier now either, just wants to nurse. I feel like we're moving backwards instead of forwards. Perhaps it's because my supply has really diminished.
  • Options
    I know for me, I just continued to nurse during the night. My LO is now 17 months, and she wakes once per night. Is there any chance that she just really wants to nurse, and she knows she can only do it at night? Maybe if you nursed her a couple times in the day, would that potentially help?
    Sleep has always been an issue with her. I sometimes bf her during the day on the weekends (she's at daycare during the week) but I haven't noticed that making any difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Options
    That's a lot of waking :(. My girls are the same age and I'd guess they wake and nurse 3-4x from 10p-6a and I'm exhausted! I wish I had words or wisdom or a solution for us both!
    Hang in there @cnybride05 ! Hopefully it gets better for us soon.
  • Options
    Mom of bad sleeper here.... My son was a chronic night waker and would freak out unless I nursed him at night.  He is 13 mo now and we had major improvement when we stopped nursing to sleep.  He nurses before bed to unwind, then we do cuddles and teeth brushing.  There were some tears as we made the transition and he will still wake up some nights 1x, but just wants to be held, and is ok without nursing. Long story short... we broke the nursing to sleep association and now I get why everyone kept saying it was so important.
  • Options
    @trudytudy Thanks. How did you break the nursing to sleep association? Did you just not let him nurse and cuddle him instead when he woke up during the night? How long did it take for her to start sttn after you started this?
  • Options
    Also, we tried some of the tips from NCSS - which didn't make her STTN, but did get us to one wakeup (and now she usually sleeps 8-6). It involved a lot more hands-on from DH at night, and wasn't TOTALLY "no cry," but was a lot gentler than either leaving her to CIO or slowly losing my sanity :)
  • Options
    Barbara83 , I never got any notifications..  When I committed to breaking the association we changed the whole routine.  I didn't want to confuse him so we didn't rock to sleep in his nursery like we used to.  We read books on the floor, then I nursed him in my bed with the lights on.  When we were done nursing I told him it was night night time and we brushed his teeth.  I cuddled him and put him in his bed, he settled quickly.  Initially any wake ups were handled by my husband, queue the tears.  My son was disappointed to see dad, but was offered water from his sippy.  Within two or three nights he was waking less.  Eventually once he stopped fiending  for the boob I was able to go soothe him at night by rocking him and putting him back to bed awake.  The key is consistency and letting them fall asleep alone in bed.  I am still impressed when I put him in bed and he quietly rolls over to go to sleep.  Also, give your baby time to fall back asleep on their own.  If my son wakes up, unless he is really mad I give him maybe 10 min and he usually goes back to sleep. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"