Secondary IF

Endometrin??

Hey ladies, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here, I am usually posting on TTTC a Sibling.  Today at my RE appointment (CD2 - baseline) they gave me my "instructions" for this cycle.  When we were TTC my DD we did Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI.  This time we are trying a couple of clomid + ovidrel + TI before jumping into IUI again.  They prescribed me the Clomid and Ovidrel as expected but also added Endometrin.  I have done a little research and see that it is progesterone.  My concern is that my "goodrx" app shows the cheapest available is $192.  I am happy to pay for the medication if need be I just wondered if there was an alternative? I appreciate any advice you ladies can offer.

Re: Endometrin??

• Do you have a luteal phase defect? If the answer is NO, the cheaper alternative is nothing. Your body produces progesterone naturally after you O. The only time I have to take progesterone is for IVF cycles, because they take out everything that would produce the progesterone naturally. 

If you DO have a luteal phase defect, then I would go with the Endometrin. I believe it is the cheapest of the 3 most commonly prescribed progesterone supplements which are PIO, Crinone gel, and Endometrin. I know there are some cheap OTC creams, but I would never trust them to support a pregnancy if you have a legitimate defect. 

Good luck. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for the advice.  I had no problem with DD and I have never been dx with any LP defects.  I am so curious why they think the endometrin is necessary.
  • Loading the player...
  • My RE's office explained they prescribe it on medicated cycles since the first half of your cycle is synthetic, so some women's bodies may not do what it's supposed to naturally on the second half and they don't want to leave the "what ifs".

Worth asking them though.
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • designer303designer303 member
    edited October 2014
    I have a luteal defect and so I'm always on it after a day or two after O is confirmed. I have found a local walgreens that compounds their own medicine, they are associated with one of the teaching hospitals here and they make my progesterone for me and that is only way I have found to get it cheaper. Good luck!

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Thank you, ladies.  It seems to be a little cheaper through Freedom Fertility which is nice.  I was just so curious because last time I didn't have any issues.

Hailey Jo born 1/11/2011 after successful IUI

TTC #2 Since 06/2012
    Me: 28 - PCOS w/ IR
    DH: 29

Cycle #1 
    Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFP

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been on it because I have "weak eggs" implantation issues and sometimes thinner lining so it was prescribed during medicated cycles for those reasons but I also have luteal phase defect. So I guess I'm no help.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I don't have a luteal phase defect and had no problems with progesterone with DD.  After my first medicated cycle, though, I got AF at 8 or 9 DPO, so they've prescribed Crinone for me on subsequent medicated cycles.  It did bring my LP back to normal, so I would probably be inclined to take the Endometrin if I were you.  I hope you can find it more cheaply, though!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Do any of you ladies know if there is an alternative to Endometrin?  Maybe a cheaper form of progesterone? 

TTC #2 Since 06/2012

Cycle #1 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • hjhmomma said:
    Do any of you ladies know if there is an alternative to Endometrin?  Maybe a cheaper form of progesterone? 
    If you NEED progesterone to support a pregnancy, it's not something you want to cut corners with. As I mentioned above, there are cheap OTC creams that are available for post menopausal women, but they are NOT meant to support a pregnancy. If you do not actually need progesterone for this purpose, then you really don't need to take it at all. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you again ladies!  According to the RE office they prescribe it to all medicated cycles just incase and highly recommend I take it.  Luckily there are a couple local pharmacies who compound there own medication which is going to save me more than half the cost.  I appreciate all of your help ladies!
  • shaunah21 said:
    Thank you again ladies!  According to the RE office they prescribe it to all medicated cycles just incase and highly recommend I take it.  Luckily there are a couple local pharmacies who compound there own medication which is going to save me more than half the cost.  I appreciate all of your help ladies!
    Just to play devil's advocate, my RE won't prescribe progesterone unless there is a defect or it's low once pregnancy is confirmed. The thought is your body's prog will naturally rise to support a healthy pregnancy, but you could be supporting a "bad pregnancy" by taking it automatically after O / aka suffering unnecessarily through more early MCs or prolonging the inevitable. Again if you need it to prolong your LP or have a deficiency that is one thing, but I'd be hesitant to take it just because.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Steph1673 said:
    shaunah21 said:
    Thank you again ladies!  According to the RE office they prescribe it to all medicated cycles just incase and highly recommend I take it.  Luckily there are a couple local pharmacies who compound there own medication which is going to save me more than half the cost.  I appreciate all of your help ladies!
    Just to play devil's advocate, my RE won't prescribe progesterone unless there is a defect or it's low once pregnancy is confirmed. The thought is your body's prog will naturally rise to support a healthy pregnancy, but you could be supporting a "bad pregnancy" by taking it automatically after O / aka suffering unnecessarily through more early MCs or prolonging the inevitable. Again if you need it to prolong your LP or have a deficiency that is one thing, but I'd be hesitant to take it just because.
    Maybe that is why the nurse seemed very non-chalant when I inquired?  I haven't directly spoken to the RE about this issue just his nurse who stated "we can wait until your appointment to order that medication".  Looking back I am thinking maybe they are waiting to see what my levels will be and also maybe she "highly recommended" I take it if I do show signs of an issue?  We shall see, I will see my actual RE at our appointment next Wednesday so I am hopeful for some more clarification.  I certainly appreciate your help / concern because I would have had no idea there could be adverse effects to taking it unnecessarily!  Thank you.

TTC #2 Since 06/2012

Cycle #1 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shaunah21‌ and @hjhmomma‌, I am so freaking confused! Are y'all the same person or what?
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• @shaunah21‌ and @hjhmomma‌, I am so freaking confused! Are y'all the same person or what?
    I have no idea what it is doing! I am the same person and at one point I was hjhmomma but couldn't remember my log in as it has been a couple of years so I started over and now it seems to be using both and I have no clue what is going on.  Any advise?!

TTC #2 Since 06/2012

Cycle #1 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you use the same email for both accounts? 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you use the same email for both accounts? 
    Did you use the same email for both accounts? 
    Possibly?  I honestly can't remember.  It seems like when I am on my home computer I am hjhmomma and when I am at work it comes up the other.  So very strange.  I am going to try refreshing my password on this account so that I can be the same person instead of looking like I have multiple personalities lol.

Also, my siggy is old as well and I would like to revise it as I don't think my betas from 4 years ago are necessary.  Every time I try it doesn't seem to change.  Any advise on that?

TTC #2 Since 06/2012

Cycle #1 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • https://forums.thebump.com/profile/signature

Try that link, you might have to hit save a few times 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Looks like it worked!  Thank you :)

TTC #2 Since 06/2012

Cycle #1 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards