June 2014 Moms

Another nap poll

karing2karing2 member
edited October 2014 in June 2014 Moms
Let's talk about getting your LO to nap. What do you do and how long?
BFP #1 April 28, 2009 - miscarriage 5/17/2009
BFP #2 March 21, 2010 CP 3/28/2010
BFP # 3 August 1, 2010 baby boy April 7, 2011
BFP #4 February 9, 2013 missed miscarriage @ 15 weeks on May 1st , 2013.
fingers crossed BFP #5 10/03/2013 due June 10, 2014. Unplanned C-Section on May 29, 2014. Welcome Grant!

Another nap poll 134 votes

Shhh don't tell- CIO for a specific length and then go in and sooth and try again CIO
5% 7 votes
Pick up- put down
11% 16 votes
Rock til they are dead to the world
34% 46 votes
Do the sleep shuffle- please tell in comments what that looks like
5% 7 votes
I don't do anything I have an angel baby who puts themselves to sleep
18% 25 votes
SS
24% 33 votes

Re: Another nap poll

• DS only naps in the Ergo or car seat.  I can't get him to sleep any other way.  Some days he won't nap at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • SS. It depends on which nap it is. For the morning naps that aren't as long, he gets rocked to sleep until he's out then put into his crib. He wakes up when I put him into the crib, so I turn on the sleep sheep and put my hand on his belly until he falls asleep again (1-2 minutes). I've only been doing this a week so it's still kind of new. The longest stretch I have gotten is 25 minutes, which is better than no minutes in the crib. For his long nap (2-4ish) he typically eats until he passes out or close where I then rock him and lay him on my chest for 2 hours while I watch Grey's Anatomy. His evening nap (around 6) Dh typically rocks him to sleep while I make dinner. After he sleeps longer in his crib for his morning nap, I am going to add another nap in there until all naps are in the crib. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited October 2014
    Generally, he eats to sleep and then sleeps on me, sometimes in his bouncy chair. Its easy if we are out because he's in the carrier anyway. I need to start popping him in the crib when we are at home because I can't always hold him to nap and generally he sleeps great at night in the crib. Soon I'll start modified CIO (specific amount of time, calm, repeat).

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I rock him, while feeding him.  This usually gets him to fall asleep, but it's only for a short catnap.

<3

• I put the babe down in her crib with a paci. I keep going in to put the paci in until she falls asleep. Sometimes she needs to be picked up and walked around for a few minutes. 

I spent some sleepless weeks trying to nurse her/rock her/walk her to sleep before I realized she just needs her zen time in her crib.
  • @amtellez28‌ we are in the same place. Olivia naps the longest in her swing during the day. If I put her in her PNP for a nap she will wake up in 20-30 min but in the swing she will sleep over an hour. She sleeps though the night in the PNP but won't nap in it. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jacksoha said:
    @amtellez28‌ we are in the same place. Olivia naps the longest in her swing during the day. If I put her in her PNP for a nap she will wake up in 20-30 min but in the swing she will sleep over an hour. She sleeps though the night in the PNP but won't nap in it. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    My LO is the same, she sleeps at night on the PNP but on daytime I cannot even put her down on it without she waking up. Don't ask me why.

We had a nice schedule going on until last week, now we are all over the place because she won't sleep longer than 40 minutes, she used to take along nap in the morning, one early afternoon and a long one around 4pm. Now she takes her morning nap on bed with me, and the rest of the days cat naps in my arms or in her swing. They can be 20 minutes or 40 minutes max.
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Henry is the same way in the pnp. Sleeps through the night but won't go in during the day
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Currently, this is what works for us: I lay her on a blanket folded like an upside down triangle and gentle place her arms to her sides and wrap the blanket around her body (basically swaddling her arms with her legs free). 

I then put her in the bouncer in front of me on the couch and put her wubb in her mouth. 

I put my phone or computer on white noise (whichever one I'm not using much) and bounce her until she drifts off to sleep then I stop bouncing but leave the white noise so I can work/type, go to the bathroom, make things in the kitchen, etc without her jumping at everything little sound. 

She spits out the wubb when she is in a deep sleep and stays sleeping.

If I didn't swaddle her arms she would pull out the wubb repeatedly  while I'm bouncing her and get frustrated, this keeps her calm and she never tries to break her arms free. She sleeps anywhere from 1 to 3+ hours like this. 

This is all right now. It could change any minute. I got the tip about arm swaddling with another daycare Mom said they do that to all the babies there. I also think they bounce them and I know for sure that they also use white noise. I think the consistency is good for her and may be why this works so well. She always wakes up gently, sees me sitting on the couch in front of her, smiles, and let's out a big arm stretch when I open the blanket. It's adorable.

• SS: He naps like a champ if we catch him before he is too tired, wrap him in his fuzzy blanket and put him in the vibrating rocker/chair thing. We get about 1-1 and 1/2 hours that way.

I've only braved crib naps three time. Both times I waited until he was dead in my arms then slowly moved him in. These only lasted half an hour.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • SS - She is apparently a sleep angel at daycare (according to DC) and can put herself to sleep.  At home it's a 50/50.  Sometimes we need to rock her while she cries uncontrollably for 10 minutes, but most of the time a trip in the swing will do the trick.  Night time is a different beast but I guess that's for another poll. 
  • I either nurse or rock DD to sleep. She doesn't nap much though. For her morning nap I nurse her and then move her to the RnP and she'll sleep for 30 mins. For the mid-day nap I either nurse her and let her sleep on me for an hour or two, or if I'm really tired I'll side nurse and she'll sleep in bed with me for about an hour. Sometimes I can get another 30 minute nap out of her in the late afternoon, but only if I hold her. I try to put her in the crib every few days, but she wakes up and cries as soon as I put her down. She's only fallen asleep on her own once but I had to wake her up after 15 minutes because I had an appointment I couldn't miss :(
  • MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited October 2014

jacksoha said:

@amtellez28‌ we are in the same place. Olivia naps the longest in her swing during the day. If I put her in her PNP for a nap she will wake up in 20-30 min but in the swing she will sleep over an hour. She sleeps though the night in the PNP but won't nap in it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Sorry you're having this problem, but I'm glad we're not the only ones! She's suuuuch a good sleeper at night in the crib (even puts herself to sleep), but will max out at 30 minutes during day naps. DH and I are going to just come up with a plan and stick to it for 2 weeks and see what happens. I'd rather deal with it now than wait until she actually does outgrow the swing. Any ideas?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------'
    Same exact thing here, but I'm opposite whereas I'm letting her nap in the mamaroo until she outgrows it and hoping she will be more ready to nap in the crib or not in my arms by then. If it doesn't work then I'll just deal with it then and hope she's at least sleeping longer at night by then. I'm trying to make up for the lack of night sleep right now and will take anything I can get.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • She won't nap. Send help.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Nurse to sleep on the boppy or in my arms.

Also using the bouncer is helpful, or using the rocking bassinet (tho that's a longer process).

Oddly he ALWAYS falls asleep at restaurants. If I can't get him to sleep I should go out to eat, haha!
  • Noah doesn't believe a nap should be longer than 40 minutes and that they must occur on my bed.
  • I usually swaddle, arms out these days(she's been crying if I just put her down with no swaddle). I kiss and cuddle her for a min, then put her down in bed with a paci(and sometes her duck lovey). After that it depends, sometimes I have to ssshhhh her and rub her belly or let her hold my hand. Sometimes I can just leave. Sometimes I can leave but have to come back in once or twice to put her pack back in.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Nurse to sleep on the boppy or in my arms. Also using the bouncer is helpful, or using the rocking bassinet (tho that's a longer process). Oddly he ALWAYS falls asleep at restaurants. If I can't get him to sleep I should go out to eat, haha!

Could it be that the sounds are like white noise to him? DS does the same thing when we're at any type of gathering (fell asleep in my armsfor one of the first times ever last weekend at one). We usually use the swing for naps as he hates napping anywhere but there and the car. I try to fight with him for the PNP but he just can't figure out how to seal the deal there yet :/

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• SS: On the boob.  I work from home so it's progress from having to rock/bounce him his whole nap because at least this way I can type.  He just outgrew his mamaroo and moved into his cribs for night sleeping 2 weeks ago... naps are next once nights are a little better mastered.  And DH hangs his blackout curtains.

Me: 33, HSG & b/w normal; partial septate uterus   DH: 33, SA good but low morphology (3%)
    Started trying to make a baby Apr'12    Aug'13 DX: Unexplained Infertility
    Sept'13: 50mg Clomid + IUI #1 (13m + 11m post wash) CDs 11&12 + 200mg progesterone 3x daily =
    BFP!     
    Beta 16dpIUI = 391 EDD 6.14.14 Delivered 6.13.14
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I used to have an angel baby who would put herself to sleep, for about a month. Now the little nap time devil has returned, who is constantly flailing her arms and trying to turn over. Since her main problem is that she can't seem to keep still, I usually will hold her hands or gently place my hand on her chest until she finally calms down and dozes off. If she wakes herself up in the crib by rolling over, I flip her to her back again and she usually will go back to sleep, unless she is wide awake and screaming by that point. At night when she's about to go to sleep in the RnP, I will sometimes rock her until she falls asleep in my arms to make sure she is good and out. Once she's out at night, she usually sleeps uninterrupted for several hours (knock on wood).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We're in the swing for all naps.  Usually with a small bottle just before or sometimes a paci (or finger:) for a few minutes rocking in the glider.  Naps are pretty consistent.  Wakes for good around 7am first nap at 10 second around 1, third around 4 and them he's up till bedtime at 9.  Then he's either in his crib or the bassinet in our bedroom.

• Right now, she typically puts herself to sleep in her swing. Once I see the signs that she's getting tired, I put her in and she does the rest. She'll be outgrowing it soon, though so we're going to start transitioning naps to the crib. Right now, she naps about 1.5 hrs in the morning and then a bunch of other 30 minute naps throughout the rest of the day. In the crib the longest she'll nap is 30 minutes. Without that 1.5 hr nap in the morning she's a Crabby McCrabbypants all day. So we're trying to figure out how to get her to take her long morning nap in the crib. What I don't get is that she sleeps great in there at night.
    This is exactly me, I feel like I could have written this word for word! 

• I don't rock mine but I do hold her for a few minutes after she falls asleep (she asks for her pacifier when she's tired & falls asleep on her own) and then I put her in the rock & play.
  • I voted SS. We have no semblance of an actual "nap schedule" and I just put her somewhere quiet in the RnP when she starts making sleepy cues.

• SS - I nurse him and he passes out then put him in the swing.

Daycare gives him a bottle, he falls asleep and they put him in the crib.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • I've been putting ds down drowsy but awake since day 1. Did the same with dd and she is 2 and has always been an excellent sleeper. Now I put him in his Merlin Sleep Suit, give him the paci and just put him down. He usually spits out the pacifier within the first minute and then goes to sleep. Lest anyone be envious, let me assure you that his night sleep is still all over the place. 
  • I voted SS. At night I nurse her till she falls asleep then lay her in the RnP. For naps it's car seat, swing, rocking, or feeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"