LGBT Parenting

Parenting Check In (10/13)

edited October 2014 in LGBT Parenting
Good Morning Everyone!

How was your weekend?  Any new successes, challenges or milestones to report?

QOTD:  What is one skill (e.g. how to do something) you can't wait to teach your child?

Parenting Roster:

(Please let me know if you would like to be added)

@2brides – G & C born 5/18/06, other Mom is L

@Themommymonster – C (DS) born 2/18/09

@Mystjava – Little Bear (LB) born 3/31/10, other Mummum is Shawn

@winstan1 – J (DS) born 9/10 (currently 3.5 years old)

@Trisholio and @trisholiosboi – Proud foster parents to M born 2/6/12 and K born 8/22/13; baby Adalyn born 8/29/14

@jazibel – Kaden born 7/13/12 and Owen born 5/2/14, other parent (Aya) is EV

@newmompeanut – N (DD) born 2/12/13, other Momma is B

@CageyMack – W born 3/16/13

@JGY – Gabe born 3/24/13, other Mama is S.

@Stringy813 – M born May 2013

@Clairmeij – Alarico born 6/28/13, other mama is V

@Wallace323 – J and L born 8/8/13, surviving triplets born at 31 weeks

@Jrtmom – Henry born 8/15/13, other mama is L

@ATXmommas – Sebastian (“Ash”) born 11/21/13, other Momma is Z

@mwagner25 – Oliver born 11/27/13, other parent is L

@herbabymama‌ – C (DD) born 12/10/13, other Mama is K

@Sarahtrpt – C born February 2014

@AmandaG47 – Twin girls born 2/22/14, other Mommy is J

@Mamosey‌ & @Karlamo‌ – R born 2/25/14

@shameless370087‌ - Anthony and Sati, born 3/9/2014, Other mom is S

@Filmfanatic82 – Charley born 3/15/14

@2momsinCA‌ - B & O born 5/27/14

@KH826 – Will born 6/4/14

@redrockmama – M born 6/19/14, other Mama is J

@ball.and.chain – B born 6/28/14

@Flygirl1228 – Twins 7/25/14

@KLeigh1‌ - S born 7/25/14

@shelly2314 - Elise and Olivia, born 8/19/14, wife is M

@2MamazInSeattle‌ - S born 8/21/14

@rkbo‌ - Amelia born 9/22/14
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Parenting Check In (10/13)

• Confession/FYI: I re-ordered the parenting roster so it goes from first-born to most-recent, because I am a little anal that way.  So if you can't find your kid, he/she might just be in a different place.

Thanks!!! Confession: I'm anal too and I tried to do this one time, but I was mobile and it was a disaster, so I gave up.
  • Loading the player...
  • JGYJGY member
    Confession/FYI: I re-ordered the parenting roster so it goes from first-born to most-recent, because I am a little anal that way.  So if you can't find your kid, he/she might just be in a different place.

ILY for this, Untaggable @ball.and.chain!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• LOL. And now I feel old since my kids are the oldest (at least without younger siblings.)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited October 2014
    2brides said:
    LOL. And now I feel old since my kids are the oldest (at least without younger siblings.)
    But age-wise, I think you are younger than a few others (e.g. @2MamazinSeattle who has an infant! -- I'm only tagging her bc I know she won't be mad at me for calling her out as old ;;) ).  We're all over the place.  :)
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• KH826KH826 member
    edited October 2014

Will is 4 months old (18 weeks)!  

We had a good, but busy weekend. I am tired!

On Saturday we drove down to my in-law's (an hour away) and we went to a 1st bday party for a family friend's little boy. We saw lots of people we hadn't seen since Will was born, and he got passed around a lot. It was good but overwhelming and tiring. Then we left the party and went straight to J's cousin's house... she had her second baby 3 weeks ago, so we went to go meet the baby, and we stayed to visit for a little while. Then we took my MIL back to her house and drove home. Got home around 6pm, ate dinner, took care of Will, went to bed totally exhausted.

Sunday we went out to lunch at Panera and then went to the grocery store (our little weekend ritual). Then we went home, unloaded groceries, gave the boy a bath, did some laundry... we had Kohl's cash to spend, so we put in an online order and got Will some PJs, socks, a hat & mitten set, and a Christmas present (we got him 'My Pal Scout' - I'm excited!)... then we met our friend and her husband for dinner... didn't get home until 7pm last night... then it was jammies, feeding, a little floor time, then bed time. The weekend went super fast, and I am a tired Momma today.

So, other than the usual weekend craziness, here is what Will has been up to:
    * Did some more tummy to back rolling yesterday - yay!
    * He has discovered this new high pitched squeal that he does, and now he does it alllll the time! My wife calls it his pterodactyl noise. It is pretty cute, but the dog isn't a fan HAHA
    * Things Will currently loves: sticking his toes in his mouth; sticking anything in his mouth, really; getting kisses on his tummy and then belly laughing; tripoding on the floor in an *almost* sitting unassisted position; jibber jabbering to himself in the car (apparently he no longer sleeps in the car, there is too much to look at and he needs to narrate it all to us!)
    * Things Will is not so much a fan of: when his bottle is empty; getting his nails clipped; sitting still -- we have a real squirm worm on our hands already!

QOTD: I can't wait to teach him about music, and teach him to sing and dance! I think he is going to be a pretty big ham, based on his current personality, so I think it is going to be lots and lots of fun! :)

ETA: added Will's age at the top -- I always forget!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • @JGY - I am so sorry that things are tough right now. I also do not have any advice to offer, as I am not there yet... but I would like to offer my support. You are an awesome parent, and I know that you have, do and will do anything for G. I really hope that you discover some great tricks to add to your toolbox soon, and that you (selfishly) share your wisdom with the rest of us! I am sure this phase is super challenging. Thinking of you and sending you support!

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • 2brides said:
    LOL. And now I feel old since my kids are the oldest (at least without younger siblings.)
    But age-wise, I think you are younger than a few others (e.g. @2MamazinSeattle who has an infant! -- I'm only tagging her bc I know she won't be mad at me for calling her out as old ;;) ).  We're all over the place.  :)
    I know. I was kidding. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @rkbo - So very happy to hear that Amelia is doing well, and that is a great family picture! I think of you and your little one often. Please continue to give us updates, and of course photos!!! :)

• JGYJGY member

@rkbo - Happy Anniversary and it's so good to hear that Amelia is making good progress.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• @JGY - Hugs, lady. I'm sorry you are having a tough time right now. You may not have all the answers now (do any if us?), but you are a loving and conscientious parent who will get through this.

@rkbo‌ - so glad you updated and happy anniversary! I love your family pic. I'm glad A is doing so well. What a strong little girl you have!

Ash is nearing 11 months old. He's doing well. Still taking a few steps at a time, but has to be in the right mood. We had a tough day/night yesterday, which I'm 95% sure is attributable to teething. He refused dinner (solids) on Saturday night, which is very unlike him. He is typically shoving food in his mouth with both hands. He ate a teeny bit of solid food on Sunday morning, then promptly threw up, which is his telltale teething symptom. He was in good spirits, so we want out for a run, then lunch. He ate a little food, then threw up again at the restaurant. Oy. We hurried home and he stayed a pretty sleepy, fussy baby for the rest of the day. He went to sleep ok, but woke up frequently. Crossing my fingers that tonight is better.

Tons of baby talk, but no real words yet. Honestly, I don't expect any real words for a while. Yesterday morning he was saying, "mamamamamama," when he woke up and I pretended he was calling for me, but I'm certain there is no intention behind it.

I talked to a nurse at the pediatrician's office this morning to get some feedback on transitioning to plant based milk. I don't think she has ever dealt with this before, so she said she would check with doctor and get back to me. I'm really hoping to start mixing milk with BM next week when he turns 11 months. I'm still pumping 3x/day and it's going ok (have my good and bad days), but I'm ready to start weaning from the pump. Would love to be done pumping by early December. I'm up for morning and night nursing for a while - probably up until we start TTC again because I'm pretty sure Femara is contraindicated during BFing.

QOTW: I too would like to share my love of cooking with him.
  • M is almost 4 months old (6 more days!)

The weekend was good and busy. Nothing too exciting happened. Last Wednesday we got an amended birth certificate for M, which was amazing. J was so happy and emotional she could barely sign the form. We still need to celebrate somehow.

M is still "talking" a ton. He has soooo many stories to share. He is still in 0-3 month clothes, but about to grow out of them. He still hates tummy time, so we just don't do it. He suddenly likes to stand all the time and we joke that he will skip crawling and go straight to walking. Napping is still a challenge,  and I think i just need to give up the idea of him napping without being held. The the nanny can do it, which makes me fell terrible and happy at the same time. I hope it's just a phase and what he needs right now...but not forever :)

QOTW: Everything :) ok...a couple things, backpacking/camping, basketball, gardening and cooking

• Napping is still a challenge,  and I think i just need to give up the idea of him napping without being held. The the nanny can do it, which makes me fell terrible and happy at the same time. I hope it's just a phase and what he needs right now...but not forever :)

We also can't get B to nap without being held, but he does it just fine at daycare.  I like to believe it's just because he loves us so much...
    ;)
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• @JGY, are your mom and sister criticizing you for letting G have any screen time?  I'm sorry, but even if he was parked in front of the TV all day (which he clearly isn't), it's none of their business.  I know it's your family, but try not to let it get to you.

FWIW, we have the TV on a lot in the background when B is around.  I'm not as much of a TV person but S is, and convincing her to turn it off because of B is basically not going to happen (obviously we will have to be more careful about the specific programming when he is old enough to know what is going on, but I don't think The Voice is going to scar him for life).  Now that his vision is good enough to see that far, he has started noticing the TV and will just stare at it like he's watching it.  I told S it makes me feel guilty because I don't want him watching it but she pointed out that we grew up with TV and did just fine.  We still talk to each other and B a lot, and I think part of the issue with TV is when it is replacing regular family interaction.

And I'm sorry you have concerns about autism.  I hope nothing comes of it, but I can understand how that would be scary.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Napping is still a challenge,  and I think i just need to give up the idea of him napping without being held. The the nanny can do it, which makes me fell terrible and happy at the same time. I hope it's just a phase and what he needs right now...but not forever :)

We also can't get B to nap without being held, but he does it just fine at daycare.  I like to believe it's just because he loves us so much...
    ;)
    We say this too, that he just saves up all his awake time for when we are home.

• 2momsinCA2momsinCA member
    edited October 2014
    @jgy I'm sorry you are having a rough time with G right now. I have worked extensively with many toddlers just like him. I did early intervention (behavioral) for 2 years and many of the kids I worked with totally grew out of that stage by the time they entered kindergarten and went on to need no services or special attention in school, but it did take some very structured interactions/therapeutic play time type intervention. The earlier you identify the symptoms of what may evolve into autism the earlier you can intervene and I honestly believe it makes a world of difference in the long run. That is NOT to say G has autism, but when a child is at risk at all, even a little, I would err on the side of caution and early intervention- especially if it's play-based- definitely cannot hurt a typically developing or typically behaving child.

@rkbo I'm SO happy Amelia is doing so well! Whoo-hoo to nasal cannula!! I was so happy when we made that step. You will be thrilled with the cannula is gone too (soon!!) also the pic line- gotta get rid of that! I hope you've been able to do lots of kangaroo care. Has she started nippling at all? It sounds like she is making wonderful progress and I bet her NICU days are numbered. Happy anniversary! I remember it was Kelli's bday and our anniversary while we did our NICU time. We honored those days by going out to dinner then immediately headed to the hospital to hold our babies for several hours. It was hard to be away from that place but it felt good to do nice things for ourselves occasionally.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• @redrockmama‌ - congrats on adding J to M's birth certificate. I love that!
  • The boys are still asleep.. I think I have time to post more...

They are 4.5 months and I guess 2 months adjusted.
    They have been fabulous lately, just little sweeties. Maybe this is the calm before teething? I don't know. They have their cranky days and their sleepless days and times we think are "wonder weeks" but for the most part they are both extremely smiley and giggly and making lots of adorable coo's and various sounds. They *just* both started to attempt to reach for and bat at toys too. Sometimes they will have conversations with us- going back and forth with their vocalizing. Also, I know by typing this I am jinxing it- they both sttn regularly now in their RNPs in our room. Always a solid 6 hours but often closer to 9. It starts late though between 10 and 11pm. It's awesome but I still get up every couple hours to pump, ugh.

Also about pumping I took the plunge and I'm on day 2 of domperidone. Can't tell if there's any change yet, probably too soon. My freezer stash from their NICU time is being chipped away and most of what's left is from when I still ate dairy. We use one or two 4oz bottles a day from the freezer so I'm just about keeping up and we don't use much but its something.

QOTD- I can't wait to teach them about appreciating the general beauty and fun of traveling and being outdoors/in nature. We love hiking and (use to) love camping and it would be awesome to share those types if activities with them. We can't wait to take them to New Zealand, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, Yellowstone, the list goes on and on...

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

;)

Will also rarely naps anywhere other than "on a mom" as we say.

On the weekends, we can sometimes get him to take shorter naps in his car seat or stroller if we are out and about and J isn't wearing him, but that is rare.

J says she has been trying to get him to take one longer nap in the afternoon at home in the swing, but it is very hit or miss. During the day he just sleeps longer, more comfortably and more soundly when he is on one of us.

It's strange because he STTN in his RNP in our room at night, but day time naps are a whole other story. What is that about anyway?!?!  

• @2momsinca We do kangaroo care every day. On the weekends we go a bit longer. I held her for 3 hours on Saturday and it was quite wonderful! Her picc line was removed Sunday night! We have not introduced the nipple yet. They say that we will start that at 33 weeks. Today her gestational age is 31w6d, so basically, we have a week and 1 day before they will start to introduce the nipple. She has been taking the pacifier happily though! 

I have a question for all breastfeeding/pumping mommas out there. I have been beating myself up lately in regards to pumping. How much is normal to be getting now? I started pumping the day she was born and I am only getting about 10-11oz per day and today is day 22. I have recently just started power pumping 2 days ago, so I don't know if that will up my supply at all. She is currently at 23ml per feed and will be at 28ml by tomorrow if she continues to go at her current rate. I don't know what her next goal will be once she hits 28ml per feed. I am really hoping not to have to supplement with donor milk or formula if at all possible. I will certainly take donor milk if I have to, but I am also really trying to supply her with enough of my own. Any suggestions on what I can do to up my supply? DW and I have decided to wait and use Domperidone as a last resort type option. I have been eating oatmeal cookies like crazy. (BTW, trader joes has cookies equivalent to lactation cookies) It has been extremely hard for me to get up for the middle of the night pumps. Lately I have been sleeping through them, although it seems that my first pump of the day at 5am makes enough milk to supply what I miss throughout the night. I usually get 3-4oz on my first pump of the day if I skip my MOTN pump.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! 
  • @rkbo - others moms who have exclusively pumped will probably have much better advice than me, but my recommendation is to pump around the clock for now. For one, itty bitty babies eat around the clock. Also, milk supply is supply and demand. The more milk you remove, the more milk your body will make. I know you are exhausted and it sucks to pump in the middle of the night (I had to for a short bit), but you would be getting up to feed her in the MON if you weren't pumping. When I had to pump in the MON, I had everything set up and ready to go by my bed, including a storage cooler for the pumped milk. If you need to pump more than once, you can throw the pump parts in the cooler to use again or keep two sets handy so that you don't have to wash parts in the MON. Keep water and a snack nearby. And entertainment. Lots of entertainment. Anything to make it more convenient.

Also, what type of pump are you using? Do you have a hospital grade?

Exusively pumping has to be tough. Great job on doing what you are doing so far. I hope everything works out.
  • Thanks @ATXMommas

We are currently renting the Medela Symphony from the hospital. We get 3 months rental included in our insurance and will get another 3 months approved when the first 3 are up. After that they will pay for partial of a single non fancy pump. I will most likely buy one of the other top medela double pump products because I will need to keep my supply up.
  • KH826 said:
    Napping is still a challenge,  and I think i just need to give up the idea of him napping without being held. The the nanny can do it, which makes me fell terrible and happy at the same time. I hope it's just a phase and what he needs right now...but not forever :)

;)

Will also rarely naps anywhere other than "on a mom" as we say.

On the weekends, we can sometimes get him to take shorter naps in his car seat or stroller if we are out and about and J isn't wearing him, but that is rare.

J says she has been trying to get him to take one longer nap in the afternoon at home in the swing, but it is very hit or miss. During the day he just sleeps longer, more comfortably and more soundly when he is on one of us.

It's strange because he STTN in his RNP in our room at night, but day time naps are a whole other story. What is that about anyway?!?!  

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, I thought maybe we just had a really finicky little guy, but maybe it's just normal for this age. 

• JGYJGY member
     I'm not sure what is wrong with Quinn. She has been spitting up a TON the last few days. She'll start crying after her bottle and then I'll be trying to burp her and she will spit up a ton! This is new? Also at night, she wakes every night around the same time and be fussy for two hours. That is very frustrating. I tried grime water and gas stuff and nothing seems to work.

Ear infection?  For G, his "Tell" would be that he started spitting up along with sleep disturbances that were out of the norm.  Just a thought ... good luck!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• rkbo said:

Thanks @ATXMommas

We are currently renting the Medela Symphony from the hospital. We get 3 months rental included in our insurance and will get another 3 months approved when the first 3 are up. After that they will pay for partial of a single non fancy pump. I will most likely buy one of the other top medela double pump products because I will need to keep my supply up.
    Gotcha. I think that's a good plan. I didn't skimp when it came to all things lactation! :)
  • JGYJGY member
    JGY the night thing isn't new. She has done that almost every night since birth. The fussiness and spitting up has been going on for about 4-5 days. Do you still think it could be an ear infection? I keep thinking reflux. But it's just getting worse? I was thinking reflux cause she eats laying down at night and that keeps her up 2 hours. Now it's slipped into day time? I don't know. Oh to be a first time mom.
    More likely it is reflux, if the night waking isn't also a new issue.  Sorry that you're dealing with all of this, I remember and send you all my sorries.  And I only had 1 kid to contend with!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• JGYJGY member

@stringy813 and @winstan1, thank you both so much!

Stringy - we do everything we can to exhaust him physically, especially on the weekends.  Multiple trips to the playground per day, etc.  But I'll admit I'm starting to panic since the winter will be on us before we know it.  I'm not super wimpy and I'll take him out in the cold, but there are some days where it just isn't possible.

I think my largest concern right now is with the not looking/no eye contact stuff.  I can't tell if it's a problem or not.  And it's really hard to know if he's hearing us, when he doesn't make eye contact.  Your question about daycare is a good one, and I'm eagerly anticipating our first parent/teacher conference next week.  I'll post an update once we've had that.

Winstan - I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with J.  Those two sound like peas in a pod.  And I kind of laugh and grimace at the same time because while some of the things J has done are hilarious (and super creative), I also know how frightening it can be to walk into a space and see your child balanced precariously atop something they should not be on!

We do talk about feelings a bit though I think it's still really going over his head.  I tell him he's not allowed to hit when he's angry or frustrated, but he can stomp his feet.  I think he gets that stomping is an acceptable alternative to hitting, but he still doesn't really get the context at all.  Whatever, it's still early.

Anyway .. thank to both of you.  Sometimes the most important thing is to not feel alone.  :)

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• @winstan1 - you should totally write a book. Seriously. Your wisdom and witty remarks are so refreshing! Thank you!

• JGYJGY member

@winstan1 - you are brilliant.  And you just confirmed a few things that I have long suspected about our dog, too!

Please to move here and train my dog and me (and the kid will then take care of himself)!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"