April 2014 Moms
Options

Sleep Training Survivors Thread

Re: Sleep Training Survivors Thread

• Options
    For the past 45 mins or so, DS has been falling asleep sitting up. He will wake himself up as he starts to tip over. It's kind of funny but not because if he'd just lay down he would be asleep! I stopped checking in on him because it would just make him all riled up again. Blerg.
  • Options

I just started doing some sleep training.  I kept trying to wait it out, because my LO was going through developmental leaps and teething, etc. but it got to the point where she was taking 30-minute naps (after I rock her for 45 minutes) and she was waking up every 45 minutes all night long.  We are both a hot mess and I need to do something.

So I started last night with the PUPD method.  She HATED it but after about 20 minutes calmed down and slept for 2.5 hours.  That is a win in my house.  I fed her, because she is used to nursing every 3-4 hours at night, and then when she woke up 45 minutes after that feeding, I did PUPD again.  And got another 3 hours out of her.  Then she slept until I had to wake her at 7:30.

I am sure it will take a few days of this at least to get her to fall asleep on her own without being pissed off, but I am relieved that it seems like we can make some progress.  Her babysitter let her nap on her for 4 months even though I kept telling her not to, so I let her go and got a new nanny. 

Naps are my next nightmare to tackle but the new nanny so far has been good about only having her sleep in the crib.  That should help.

For naps, she does have to be asleep when you put her down or we have the same problem as @Rachnan - even if she is exhausted she starts crawling around or sits up and starts laughing and talking and we are back at square one.  I am hoping if I can get her to fall asleep on her own at night then the daytime sleep will start to work itself out. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sometimes they are just going through things that will mess you up. When we did sleep training it really helped with bedtime and going down awake. Our wakeups got down to 2 which i was happy with. Right now with back to back teeth we have regressed badly. Gonna have to give it more of a shot when she isn't so uncomfortable. Her room is right next to her sisters so I don't let her cry much in the MOTN for fear of having two awake to deal with.
  • Options
    aronie82 said:

I put LO down and he immediately rolls to his tummy. There's nothing you can do

This. Now that they're all getting pretty mobile, they are going to end up however they roll. Tell him not to worry too much. Dd sleeps on her belly pretty much every night.

Also, good luck tonight. I know exactly how anxious it can make you just anticipating it going poorly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that she does just fine
  • Options
    Evan always sleeps on his tummy now. I was so panicked about it for the first week or so, but now it makes me happy to see him on my tummy because it means he's settled down to sleep :)

Evan has randomly decided to help out with sleep training by waking up whenever he is put in the crib. No more going into the crib asleep for this baby. The first day was super hard and there was lots of crying, but now he's getting much better at settling himself, and only had to eat twice last night! Fingers crossed we're on the right track.
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    My LO also rolls to her tummy; then back to her back, then back to her tummy again- I swear she needs a bigger bed! Our pedi admitTed when she was a ftm she would flip her baby back to his back whenever he rolled... But stopped as it woke him up each time!
  • Options
    I have not read all of this thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed. We mildly sleep trained DS around 5.5 months using a modified Ferber method and he went from 8+ wakeups per night to 2-3. He is still sitting pretty steadily at 2 wakeups where he has a 4 oz snack at each. He is ff. We have just been dealing with it and not really actively trying to knock that down to 1 or 0. He puts himself to sleep for naps and for his first stretch of sleep at night. We are pretty consistent with drowsy but awake. When he wakes up in the night he will freak out until we feed him. Nothing else soothes. How do you go about trying to knock down his number of wakeups when he wants his snacks? I've read that ff babies shouldn't necessarily need to eat at night. Knocking down to one night feeding is fine, but I'm sure he doesn't need two. Advice?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    @hordol - I think what I read is you slowly decrease how much formula is given at each feeding until you get to zero. We're trying to cut down on our feedings, mostly because LO has a hardcore sleep association between eating and sleeping, so we are just stretching the time between feedings by 30 minutes each night (but will probably hold steady once we reach one feeding a night- we BF, so I'm not worried about cutting back the amount, and think you could leave the amount if you felt strongly about it). Basically, you just need to go slow to help them adjust to not feeling hungry at night. 

FX that this is the week where we can actually be successful with this!

• Options
    We've been trying the SleepEasy Solution for over a week now. There is not much sleep happening, nor is it an easy solution. DS' cries are panicked and anxious, not just fussing or upset. He has fallen asleep on his own a few times but mostly he's just losing his shit. It's to the point that he starts crying when we put on his pajamas, like he knows what's coming and is already stressed out. I don't think this is working. Any advice? The reason we are doing this isn't for night wake ups but for falling asleep. He will sleep on me but will wake and scream as soon as I try to put him down. I feel like such a failure.
  • Options
    @elyse4281 - First, you are not a failure! This stuff is hard, and some kiddos are just much trickier with sleep than others. Maybe try reading another book? It took us about 5 books before I found one that resonated with me and actually seemed to work (Ferber). The idea that LO is angry, not scared, helped me deal with the crying, and the visits every few minutes made me feel that we were still caring for him. Mine's started waking himself up if I try to put him down asleep, so we didn't have a choice in having to put up with the crying if we wanted him to stay in his crib. It's super hard, but getting a lot better. 

Good luck!

And good luck to all the other mamas working on sleep training tonight. May it go better than expected!

• Options
    Thanks @CalinAZ‌ We just ordered another book from Amazon to try, so we shall see. He just has such severe separation anxiety with me, especially at night. Like, I just went to the bathroom and he was reaching and crying for me even though DH was holding him! Fingers crossed he learns soon.
  • Options
    Oh and if I may vent for a moment. DH is the one all gung ho about sleep training (I'm not 100% convinced it's the right thing for us) but then he leaves me to do most of it. Right now I'm trying it again and he's rolled over sleeping.

Just woke DH up! Bwahaha!
  • Options
    @elyse4281 - this is a hard time to start with the separation anxiety. My LO is a mess half the time during the day, and is the same as yours - crying even if DH is holding him. Can't do anything solo! Good luck tonight :)

• Options
    Thanks. He fell asleep within an hour last night around 11:30 and was up at 5:45. Pretty good stretch. The separation anxiety is nuts! It's almost like he's trying to climb inside my skin just to be closer. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry we are indeed two separate people, kid.
  • Options
    @hordol‌ I think in Ferber he recommends either spacing the feedings or you can dilute the formula until it is all water. My friend did the water thing and it worked for her daughter! Reason being It they keep getting fed their bodies expect it and will be hungry, so once they are used to not eating they will stop waking up for it.
  • Options
    For those who used the Sleepeasy Solution for night time and naps, how long did it take for you to see improvement for naps? We started Thursday night and naps seem to be getting worse instead of better. I'm just having trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
  • Options
    Question for those of you who have night weaned. We're down to one feeding a night as of last night (yay!) but in exchange, Evan's been doing some serious cluster feeding in the morning and evening - like every 30 minutes for a few hours on both sides. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if he'll eventually regulate or if this is the new normal. Still much preferable to eating 5+ times a night :)

• Options
    What do you do if LO starts falling asleep an hour before bedtime? Do you put her to sleep then or desperately try keeping her awake?

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options

What do you do if LO starts falling asleep an hour before bedtime? Do you put her to sleep then or desperately try keeping her awake?

Put her to sleep. My LO is rarely tired before bedtime but when she is clearly tired I always put her to bed early.
  • Options
    mamrotu73 said:

This thread has a ghost reader for me too.
    So much brokenness.

Same here. It looks like it's only threads with a large number of comments.
  • Options
    mamrotu73 said:

But now I got a yellow flag.

Me too. How weird
  • Options
    Hey ladies, I haven't posted in a while but just wanted to share that after 9 months of not sleeping at night because LO was waking every 1-2-3 hours, and after having tried cosleeping, elizabeth pantley, gentle no-cry methods, etc., H and I decided to try a CIO method.
    We live in Québec and there is this famous "sleep lady" who does telephone sessions to help parents through this and we followed her advice and $80 later (haha so worth it!) and 2 nights in, LO slept from 7pm until 7:00 am and we actually had to go in and wake her!
    The first night, she cried 1 minute, I went in to check on her then cried for 3 minutes, check in, cried 5 minutes, check in, cried 2.26 and then we heard nothing until about midnight she crued 5 mins, i went in, she fell back to sleep after a minute and woke up at 7:15 am and it's been 2 weeks of 7-7 nights!! It's crazy, but it has worked for us and after 3 days of crazy engorgment because i was used to bf 2-3 times per night, we are rested! LO is happy when she wakes up and has started eating a ton more solids too.

Anywho, just wanted to share my hope. Sorry post was so long!
    Also FWIW I was super against CIO before and really wanted to find another gentler way, but the method we used worked for us. LO only cried real hard the first round 1 minute and then the 3 minute and first 5 minutes but now the "crying" is more of a whine.

If anyone wants me to get more into what the method is, feel free to ask! :)
  • Options
    Liane28 said:

Hey ladies, I haven't posted in a while but just wanted to share that after 9 months of not sleeping at night because LO was waking every 1-2-3 hours, and after having tried cosleeping, elizabeth pantley, gentle no-cry methods, etc., H and I decided to try a CIO method.
    We live in Québec and there is this famous "sleep lady" who does telephone sessions to help parents through this and we followed her advice and $80 later (haha so worth it!) and 2 nights in, LO slept from 7pm until 7:00 am and we actually had to go in and wake her!
    The first night, she cried 1 minute, I went in to check on her then cried for 3 minutes, check in, cried 5 minutes, check in, cried 2.26 and then we heard nothing until about midnight she crued 5 mins, i went in, she fell back to sleep after a minute and woke up at 7:15 am and it's been 2 weeks of 7-7 nights!! It's crazy, but it has worked for us and after 3 days of crazy engorgment because i was used to bf 2-3 times per night, we are rested! LO is happy when she wakes up and has started eating a ton more solids too.

Anywho, just wanted to share my hope. Sorry post was so long!
    Also FWIW I was super against CIO before and really wanted to find another gentler way, but the method we used worked for us. LO only cried real hard the first round 1 minute and then the 3 minute and first 5 minutes but now the "crying" is more of a whine.

If anyone wants me to get more into what the method is, feel free to ask! :)

That's great! I was also super against any kind of CIO....but after doing other 'gentler' versions and then finally doing more research a form of similar cio you described worked for us. Yay to sleep!
  • Options

Im a little worried because last night was day 4 of sleep training and other than one night of crying for 30 minutes, it has been waaaaaay too easy. When is the other shoe going to drop!? Usually when things (that are typically really hard) go this easily, it means awfulness is around the corner.

• Options
    Update from us: tried CIO at the end of December and it worked instantly. She now happily sleeps in her cot from 7.30pm till 8am most nights. She rarely wakes or cries in that time. If she does, we go in after a few minutes, lie her back down and she goes straight back to sleep. It's bliss!
  • Options

Im a little worried because last night was day 4 of sleep training and other than one night of crying for 30 minutes, it has been waaaaaay too easy. When is the other shoe going to drop!? Usually when things (that are typically really hard) go this easily, it means awfulness is around the corner.

We are almost to one month post sleep training and no awfulness has happened yet! I think after 4 days we had no crying at bed and naptime so hopefully you are in the clear!
  • Options
    I think my baby is broken. CIO worked for a few days, but then he went back to waking every 2 hours. We attempted the sleepeasy solution last night (dreamfeeds) which backfired and LO cried for hours before he went back to sleep. 

We have tried it all. I am so tired....

• Options
    CalinAZ said:

I think my baby is broken. CIO worked for a few days, but then he went back to waking every 2 hours. We attempted the sleepeasy solution last night (dreamfeeds) which backfired and LO cried for hours before he went back to sleep. 

Maybe eliminate dream feeds? How much is your baby eating during the day? If you think she is getting enough I would not wake to feed.
  • Options
    CalinAZ said:

Could he be teething or have an ear infection? When mine had an ear infection she was up all the time.
  • Options
    Here goes night #5. Wish me luck!

• Options
    Not ears, we had the pediatrician check that at his appt this week. She did say one of his teeth should be arriving soon, so that could be it. He's also been eating more solids lately, so I've been wondering if it's tummy related. 

Tonight's plan is to let him eat when we wakes up, but limit feeding time to just 6 minutes (we did 8 last night). Maybe this will be more successful. 

At 9 months, he really shouldn't be needing to eat 4-5 times a night :(

• Options
    @Liane28‌ thanks for sharing! We are looking at books today, I'm exhausted. I'm ok to start with CIO as last night we pretty much did it twice out of shear desperation and she went to sleep. But I'd like to follow some sort of plan. Is there a book on Amazon that had a similar method to the going in every few minutes to soothe? Any help appreciated!
  • Options
    I just wanted to add in Im still laughing at trying to have a "plan"! Who am I kidding? Lol
  • Options
    I just wanted to add in Im still laughing at trying to have a "plan"! Who am I kidding? Lol
    No worries, I am making it up as I go along. If it doesn't work then I suppose I will get a book... but so far 5 days in and its going entirely too well.

• Options

I used the sleep easy solution. I think it's like 5.99 on kindle. I would def recommend a book -- it made me feel like it was more official and answered a lot of my questions.
  • Options
    Thanks @Zachysmommy‌!

For those of you still stuck on feedings at night- did you night wean first or go right to sleep train?
  • Options
    okay, I do think it might be a teething thing. We finally gave some ibuprofen last night and he slept almost 4 hours straight! Then I think it wore off. Those who use medication at night for teething, do you ever do a second dose, since one dose doesn't last 12 hours? LO was awake every 2 hours or less after that 4 our chunk and I think was hurting a bit. 

Don't want to overmedicate, but also don't want him suffering needlessly.

• Options
    Night 7, not so smooth

• Options
    Never mind, I lied.all good.

• Options

CalinAZ said:

okay, I do think it might be a teething thing. We finally gave some ibuprofen last night and he slept almost 4 hours straight! Then I think it wore off. Those who use medication at night for teething, do you ever do a second dose, since one dose doesn't last 12 hours? LO was awake every 2 hours or less after that 4 our chunk and I think was hurting a bit. 

Don't want to overmedicate, but also don't want him suffering needlessly.
    I do another dose if he wakes up at or after that 6 hour mark and still seems in pain or is having a hard time going back to sleep.
    Same. Does anyone else find that baby Tylenol does not work at all??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"