Secondary IF
Options

How many rounds of clomid?

I am curious how many rounds of clomid you have done if you used it at all? I will be talking to the RE about our 3rd IUI cycle today since I got BFN yesterday on a HPT after I started spotting. This would be my 5th round of clomid though. I have been reading different info about clomid- some things say up to six cycles is recommended. Others say only 3-4. This past cycle my lining was a little thinner than the first IUI- they said it was still okay but I am wondering if the clomid is going to continue thinning it. So I am just wondering if it is time to switch up the meds. 
"From the moment I first saw you, the second that you were born, I knew that you were the love of my life" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Me: 35, DH: 40
TTC # 2 since 8/13, Dx: unexplained secondary infertility
Clomid cycles 7/14 & 8/14= BFN
IUI # 1 (clomid) 8/27/14= BFN
IUI # 2 (clomid and follistim) 9/25/14= BFN
IUI # 3 (femara and follistim) 10/23/14= BFN
IUI # 4 (femara and follistim) 11/20/14= BFN
12/12/14- saline sono shows two polyps
2/15- two uterine polyps and "schmutz" (RE's words) removed
8/15- surprise BFP! Beta #1 70 Beta #2 150 

Re: How many rounds of clomid?

• Options
    I did so many rounds of Clomid, I honestly can not even tell you the exact number. I want to say AT LEAST 10, *but* I've been very unconventional in my treatments. I did Clomid / TI for prob 6 consecutive cycles (which is a nightmare, because the shit definitely builds up in your system) then I did Clomid / IUI, THEN I did IVF a couple times, then I did MORE Clomid IUI lol..  I have heard they like to put a limit on the amount of Clomid cycles you do, but I was under the impression that it's more because of that build up effect? Anyway, there are other drugs you can try that are very comparable. Femara maybe? Letrozole? I do not have experience with either of these but I know they come up on the board pretty frequently as alternatives to Clomid.   It could potentially thin your lining, yes. Is there a reason your Dr hasn't suggested trying one of the other comparable drugs? 

Good luck 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ask about letrozole(femara). I definitely responded very differently to both though both successful in that they did what they were supposed to do.

Just a head's up that letrozole for fertility is an off-label use which may deter some doctors (and patients).
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't know they were the same thing, that is good to know  :)) I thought it was like Gonal-f vs Follistim, they do the same thing, but they're different drugs. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have read that 6 cycles is the max. I can't tell you where, but I remember reading that when I first took clomid a few years ago. I asked my RE about that, and he said that all drugs have risks, but they don't limit the number of cycles on clomid. I've done 6 cycles on it myself and it's only worked once (DD). Not sure if I O'd the other times, since I wasn't fully monitored. 

My RE wanted to continue clomid with a trigger shot (I haven't done a trigger before), but I told him about all of the problems I've been having... trouble sleeping, hot flashes, anxiety/palpitations. I agree that I think it builds up in your system. After taking it all summer, I was a mess. We are trying Femara instead for my next cycle, probably with a trigger shot too. There's FSH injects or a combo that you can do too, but if you are on the younger side and have a good ovarian reserve, they probably won't do that unless you fail at everything else first due to the higher risk of multiples. 

I haven't taken it since August and I am just now starting to feel more normal. Luckily, my lining is fine and my cyst didn't really grow at all. I hate clomid! We just finished our testing and I hopefully can start a medicated cycle or IUI this month. I just finished taking provera and am waiting for AF...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I skipped clomid altogether and started with injects because I'm old.  However, my RE is willing to prescribe it for up to six cycles.  She recommends moving on to something else after three, though, because she says if it's going to work, it's probably going to do so in within the first three cycles.  That seems to be her feeling about every new level of intervention, though, which is why we're moving me on to IVF if this upcoming IUI doesn't work.
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    My RE doesn't seem to like Clomid. We did one round and he just said that statistically there are better success rates in his clinic with letrozole plus the side effects are usually far more mild. I think also Clomid has a higher multiples rate. But that's just all my clinic's preferences. Most I have read is as above with max 6 cycles.
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Options
    I'm not sure about how many cycles they will let you do but my RE did mention something about that it can thin your lining and is cumulative. So the more you take the more likely it is to thin your lining. I did not respond as well to Femara.
    So sorry about your BFN. I know that's never easy :(

TTC #2 since 1/1/13

image    imageimage
  • Options
    We did four cycles. By the end, I was a total mess. So emotional, crazy anxiety and heart palpitations that sent me to the ER. I do not like clomid.

I came to the re after the clomid, and he switched to letrozole. He said since I've done four he wants to switch it up.

June 19, 2010 - Miracle Baby Girl

Round 2
    Since March 2013
    BFP April 2013 - Missed M/C July 2013 @ 12w6d
    BFP December 2013 - CP @ 4w3d
    Eight medicated cycles, three IUIs: FAIL
    IVF #1 Antagonist - January 2015: CP/FAIL

IVF #2 April 2015: Microdose lupron Flare
    ICSI, CCS Freeze all
    6 blasts biopsied/5 normal

FET #1 June 25, 2015 6AA and 5AA blast transfer
    BFP 3dp5dt!
    Beta 8dp5dt 195.2, 10dp5dt 474.8, 12dp5dt 977, 22dp5dt 25,580
    <3 Twins! Our boy and girl coming end of February!  <3

• Options
    I did 3 cycles of Clomid and then switched to Femara when I started seeing an RE.  I was never told about a max number of Clomid cycles by my ob, but I have read that there are limits.  However, I really preferred Femara to Clomid.  Clomid made me crazy, dried up my cm, and I had really painful ovulation.  I haven't had any noticeable side effects from Femara.  

Maybe it's worth asking about.
    Me: 34 DH: 36 
    DD#1 04/28/11

TTC#2 since April 2012 - Unexplained Secondary IF (probably PCOS)
    Dec 13-March 14 Femara and TI - BFN
    April 2014 IUI#1 (Femara + Ovidrel) - BFN
    June 2014 IUI#2 (Femara + Ovidrel) - BFP 7/9/14 - No HB on 8/13/14 @ 8w4d
    Nov 2014 IUI#3 (Femara + Ovidrel) - BFFN
    Jan 2015 IUI#4 (Femara + Ovidrel) - BFN
    Feb 2015 IUI#5 Converted to TI (7.5mg Femara) - BFP 3/17/15!!!
    Beta #1 82, Beta #2 202 Please let this be it.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I took the foolish route and did 4 rounds of Clomid through my ob/gyn.  They did monitor my cycles, but obviously, nothing ever came if it.  I hated the Clomid.  The hot flashes I could handle, but I constantly felt like I was in a fog. I was happy that when I did start seeing the RE, she had me try Femara instead.  I've done that for three cycles now, and thankfully, no side-effects to speak of.
    - DD born July 2010 -
    - TTC #2 since January 2013 -
    - Clomid cycles February - May 2014, all BFN -
    - HSG July 2014, all clear! -
    - July '14: IUI #1, w/Femara & Ovidrel= BFN -
    - August '14: cycle cancelled -
    - October '14: IUI #2 w/Femara, Bravelle, & Ovidrel : BFP!-
    -November '14:  Discovered MMC @ 6 wk. ultrasound-
    -February '15: IUI #3 w/Femara, Bravelle, & Ovidrel: Success!-
    -Due November 2015-
  • Options
    I didn't know they were the same thing, that is good to know  :)) I thought it was like Gonal-f vs Follistim, they do the same thing, but they're different drugs. 
    Letrozole is generic Femara ;-) How in the world did I know anything about IF that you didn't... lol.

OP I have not done Clomid, but I was told that Letrozole has less side effects.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Options
    Thank you ladies. I am glad to hear that others have felt that clomid's side effects get worse with each cycle. It has made me so moody and it is just getting worse! 
    I spoke with the RE today and he is going to switch to femara with follistim (higher dose than last month) and a trigger for this next IUI. He originally said they like to do 3 monitored cycles of clomid before switching to something else. But since I did two unmonitored cycles with my OB he has decided it is enough and said it is time to switch. 
    "From the moment I first saw you, the second that you were born, I knew that you were the love of my life" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 35, DH: 40
    TTC # 2 since 8/13, Dx: unexplained secondary infertility
    Clomid cycles 7/14 & 8/14= BFN
    IUI # 1 (clomid) 8/27/14= BFN
    IUI # 2 (clomid and follistim) 9/25/14= BFN
    IUI # 3 (femara and follistim) 10/23/14= BFN
    IUI # 4 (femara and follistim) 11/20/14= BFN
    12/12/14- saline sono shows two polyps
    2/15- two uterine polyps and "schmutz" (RE's words) removed
    8/15- surprise BFP! Beta #1 70 Beta #2 150 
  • Options
    I did four rounds and they cancelled my fifth and sixth. 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    My RE will do 6 consecutive Clomid cycles. I had 4 with my DD, I think. It may have been more. That's been so long ago. Then last year this time I did two Clomid cycles and my RE would've done 4 more if we hadn't discovered we also deal with MFI.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"