May 2014 Moms

The Food (for babies) Thread

Re: The Food (for babies) Thread

• @Babybarlow2014‌ - recipe in pics attached. I haven't tried it yet.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @Babybarlow2014‌ - mobile. Sorry. Stupid pic wouldn't attach. There should be 2 pics now.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Loading the player...
  • Mine didn't care for potato either either with or without gravy. Also though she liked chicken a couple of weeks ago (we only eat meat rarely) she didn't seem to like turkey. Oh well. I would say she had gotten spoiled by too much sweet potato (that and squash are her favorites but sweet potato is just so easy to make for her so she's been getting it a lot.), but she also loved Brie and garlic/herb goat cheese on table water crackers. Go figure.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Gave DS lamb stew last night and he loved it. Couldn't shovel it in his mouth fast enough
  • DS wasn't a fan of potatoes either.. Really liked the homemade cranberry sauce though!
  • @Lissiehoya - I'm not. We've tried everything so far that I was worried about: peanut butter, eggs, yogurt (I'm allergic to dairy), and banana. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Is my child the only one that has zero interest in solid food? We've tried different things and each one gets a pained face and pursed lips. The pedi said not to worry about it, that one day he'll suddenly change his mind.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lrmrtn said:

Is my child the only one that has zero interest in solid food? We've tried different things and each one gets a pained face and pursed lips. The pedi said not to worry about it, that one day he'll suddenly change his mind.

I was just thinking this this morning. You're not alone
  • @Lissiehoya - I'm not. We've tried everything so far that I was worried about: peanut butter, eggs, yogurt (I'm allergic to dairy), and banana. 
    Did you do full egg or just egg yolk? I've been thinking of starting eggs soon for breakfast. Right now we are only doing one solid meal at dinner time.
    I did scrambled eggs and gave her some. We do BLW so she didn't have any issues with it. 

DD Born @ 40+4

Did you do full egg or just egg yolk? I've been thinking of starting eggs soon for breakfast.
    Right now we are only doing one solid meal at dinner time.
    We've done whole scrambled eggs. The health Canada guidelines now say there's no reason to just do yolk unless you have egg allergies in the family
  • Canada ladies - is it true that your guidelines say cow's milk is fine at 9 months? What do you plan on doing?

DD Born @ 40+4

• Canada ladies - is it true that your guidelines say cow's milk is fine at 9 months? What do you plan on doing?

Between 9-12 months is the recommendation https://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/healthy-living-vie-saine/infant-care-soins-bebe/nutrition-alimentation-eng.php

I don't plan on introducing cows milk for a while. I'll probably continue with breast milk in his sippy cup once he starts daycare at 1 year.
  • @kittyriot - I'm allergic to dairy too! I was petrified to introduce dairy to her. She did well with both eggs and the organic whole milk yogurt. I don't even know how to introduce cheese - ideas?

DD Born @ 40+4

• @kittyriot - I'm allergic to dairy too! I was petrified to introduce dairy to her. She did well with both eggs and the organic whole milk yogurt. I don't even know how to introduce cheese - ideas?

You could try grilled cheese toast sticks
  • Great suggestions @kittyriot & @emmagk!

DD Born @ 40+4

• @kittyriot‌ your dr didn't give you special suggestions since you are allergic to both dairy and eggs?
    My dr asked if my husband and I are allergic to any foods when my ds had a reaction to banana. Since we aren't he said not to worry about waiting on certain foods.
    Just curious
  • @kittyriot gotcha! That makes sense. I have heard that opinions differ so much in the US. I read to try peanut butter sooner now, but they used to say something different. I think our dr is all about trying whatever you want unless the parents have allergies. Although they're all different. Good luck with trying both!
  • So when is it ok to introduce eggs? I've heard different opinions. I've read yolks are ok but no whites until after a year? Also I let DS have a little piece of cheese the other day from the pizza we were eating and nope he choked because it got so stringy from his keeping it in his mouth. We won't be doing that again anytime soon.
  • DD is 6m2w old and I've only fed her food three times--oatmeal twice, sweet potatoes once. I'm just not motivated to start the food thing.

That is all. Carry on.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

DD Born @ 40+4

• jenb_99 said:

DD is 6m2w old and I've only fed her food three times--oatmeal twice, sweet potatoes once. I'm just not motivated to start the food thing.

That is all. Carry on.

I'm totally with you. We tried rice cereal, applesauce and mashed potatoes, each once. DS had no interest and I'm not pushing it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry if this has already been asked... But do you have to mix rice cereal with milk or can you use water? I never pump so I was wondering if it was necessary
  • Sorry if this has already been asked... But do you have to mix rice cereal with milk or can you use water? I never pump so I was wondering if it was necessary

When I didn't feel like pumping I mixed her oatmeal with homemade applesauce that I made very runny and chunky with water and cinnamon. I don't know if I'd do that all the time though.

DD Born @ 40+4

• Cook251 said:

Any moms give LO yogurt yet? And if yes, what brand/type did you give? I didn't want to get something with sugar added so I was thinking about doing whole milk plain yogurt and then mix in pear/blueberry puree.

I've given DS full fat Greek yoghurt with a little maple syrup mixed in. It was a hit
  • My 6.5 month old is not that interested in eating it seems. I've tried some hand held foods like banana pieces and steamed carrot strips but he would rather feed it to the dog. With purées- he may eat a few small bites of what he likes (which isn't too much) and then that's that. Should I be concerned at this point?
  • Cook251 said:

Any moms give LO yogurt yet? And if yes, what brand/type did you give? I didn't want to get something with sugar added so I was thinking about doing whole milk plain yogurt and then mix in pear/blueberry puree.

Stonyfield organic plain whole milk yogurt. I usually add in some pureed fruit, but even plain it's his favorite food!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So we asked our pedi about eggs and she said no way until a year. I'm glad I didn't try it. Guess we will be waiting a few more months!
  • We've done scrambeled eggs. Stoneyfield yobaby yogurt. She loves it.

DD Born @ 40+4

• comicsans said:

THD7580 said:

So we asked our pedi about eggs and she said no way until a year. I'm glad I didn't try it. Guess we will be waiting a few more months!

Did your ped say why? Literally the only restriction we were given was no honey. DD has had eggs a few times.
    We were told anything but honey too. DS has had scrambled whole egg a few times and hard boiled egg as a finger food once
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited December 2014
    Same here. Other than no honey and no cows milk to replace BM or formula, our pedi says anything is fine -- and early introduction is a good idea.

We talked to our pedi extensively about food introduction because there are some allergies in the family. The latest research shows no harm from introducing a potential allergen food early, and actually some reduction in risk of allergies if introduced before 9 months or a year.

Peanut allergies, I'm not as familiar with the literature but I think there isn't clear evidence either way on timing of introduction.

Eta: She's had scrambled egg a couple of times and loves it. Also, another vote for Stonyfield Farms organic full-fat plain yogurt.
  • jsquaree said:

Has anyone done beets? I got a jar of Beech Nut with beets, pear, and pomegranate. I'm not looking forward to possible red pee or poops.

We did their sweet carrot one and DD had red/orange poo. I thought it was blood at first then realized it was from dinner the previous night. #:-S
  • What time have you guys been feeding your LO and how much do you give for a meal? Curious because I'm wondering if I'm doing breakfast too early and dinner too late :-/
  • THD7580 said:
    So we asked our pedi about eggs and she said no way until a year. I'm glad I didn't try it. Guess we will be waiting a few more months!
    DS has had eggs, yogurt and peanut butter in terms of allergens. Why did the doc say no to eggs?

HE LOVES peanut butter and yogurt. I plan on holding off on straight milk as long as I can.

@cgarklavs DS is offered meals 2-3 times a day. Whenever we sit down to eat a meal. Usually breakfast and dinner. Lunch if we are home. He eats around 830 am and 500 pm.

We rather have an early dinner to eat with him than to wait until he goes to bed.
  • milomia said:

My 6.5 month old is not that interested in eating it seems. I've tried some hand held foods like banana pieces and steamed carrot strips but he would rather feed it to the dog. With purées- he may eat a few small bites of what he likes (which isn't too much) and then that's that. Should I be concerned at this point?

DS has no interest in solids either. The pedi said not to worry about it, to just keep trying and eventually he'll change his mind. He won't drink formula forever!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lrmrtn said:

milomia said:

My 6.5 month old is not that interested in eating it seems. I've tried some hand held foods like banana pieces and steamed carrot strips but he would rather feed it to the dog. With purées- he may eat a few small bites of what he likes (which isn't too much) and then that's that. Should I be concerned at this point?

DS has no interest in solids either. The pedi said not to worry about it, to just keep trying and eventually he'll change his mind. He won't drink formula forever!
    DS went from interested to wanting nothing to do with food to now like GIVE ME FOOD NOW.

I did some reading online that sometimes babies loose interest when a tooth is about to pop.

However my son did not pop a tooth. So now idea how much merit it has.
  • Man, we really need to step it up. We've tried sweet potatoes (love), peas (hate- especially if cold), oatmeal (ok) and carrots (loved it). But we only give it to her 1-2 times a day. Daycare provides food for DD and they keep asking what else they can give her!
  • comicsans said:

THD7580 said:

Did your ped say why? Literally the only restriction we were given was no honey. DD has had eggs a few times.
    Allergy. She said its the worst of them all and how their little systems may not tolerate them until after a year.
  • @jsquaree‌ I gave my son the beech but raspberry/apple/beet purée and he loves it! Smells like dirt to me, but Im happy he likes it. No red poop, but I guess it's because it's a mix. I normally do homemade, but with beets you can't because of nitrates. So this was as close as I could get.
  • I also plan to do stoneyfield plain with a mix in. Seems to be the only one ice seen other parents using.
  • Serious question about nitrates - what do baby food companies do to remove the nitrates from carrots and beets?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"