May 2014 Moms

The Food (for babies) Thread

Re: The Food (for babies) Thread

• springbeduk2springbeduk2 member
    edited November 2014
    Oops I deleted too much so no quotebox. @jcrewgirl said:
    I think you have to do what works for you and your family and your schedule. We started BLW a few days after DD turned 5 months. She was grabbing for food and sits up with assistance. I started trying solids when she screamed bloody murder because I wasn't letting her have my chili. She eats at the table with us and eats (plays with/tastes) what we eat (for the most part). If our dinner is too salty for her (chili), then I'll cut up an apple into slices or a bell pepper so she at least is "eating" with us. As far as meats are concerned, I've given DD salmon and pork chop. I would think that canned salmon is fine. I don't know about having to blend food - I think some chunks would be fine because BLW is essentially chunks of food (?). Not sure how helpful I was...

Helpful. Thank you! Your DD sounds a lot like mine in terms of readiness and interest. Good to know BLW can work before 5 months. I guess at some point well have to be good and start eating at the table instead of on the couch so she can make a mess.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • @comicsans‌ , we gave DD broccoli also and she went to town on it! But like you said...was not prepared for that diaper in the morning!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Cook251‌ I have a little baby bullet steamer that tells you what to put it on so I use the steamer to defrost the frozen cubes before she eats them. If it's applesauce or a fruit I will sometimes give it cold.

• Per a printout I have from wholesomebabyfood.com they can have whole milk yogurt at 6 months. @Babybarlow2014‌
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipYogurt.htm#.VFVgIGIpDJs
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Has anyone given their LO sticks of pepper to chew on? If so did you steam then first just to soften or give them raw?
  • Emmagk said:

Has anyone given their LO sticks of pepper to chew on? If so did you steam then first just to soften or give them raw?

I did raw so far. I would think you could steam it too.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Emmagk said:

Has anyone given their LO sticks of pepper to chew on? If so did you steam then first just to soften or give them raw?

I did raw so far. I would think you could steam it too.
    Thanks, I think we're going to try them for breakfast this morning
  • Made butternut squash, peas, green beans, carrots, and applesauce today! All organic I may add. And it was like 10 bucks! Woohoo! Enough for at least 3 weeks! I've been buying earths best fruit for the most part until I start making it.
  • I just made butternut squash today too!  And sweet potato.  ...but DS still isn't eating solids.  I guess I just wanted to stock up?  Who knows.  I need to make some green stuff.  

Question: How are you ladies making your purees getting green beans and peas smooth?  With DD I just put it in the baby bullet and called it good.  She never really cared for it, but she never was a big puree fan anyway.  But I wondered if there was a better way to get rid of the stringy-ness of the green beans and the shell-ness of the peas.  
  • ns1 said:

I just made butternut squash today too!  And sweet potato.  ...but DS still isn't eating solids.  I guess I just wanted to stock up?  Who knows.  I need to make some green stuff.  

Question: How are you ladies making your purees getting green beans and peas smooth?  With DD I just put it in the baby bullet and called it good.  She never really cared for it, but she never was a big puree fan anyway.  But I wondered if there was a better way to get rid of the stringy-ness of the green beans and the shell-ness of the peas.  
    I've done peas and they were fine with the pureeing in the magic bullet. I wasn't expecting that, so I'd planned to strain through a mesh strainer. That's what I do for soups if I'm being super fussy on texture.
  • With green beans I take the chunks and strings out best I can as I feed her. I have made peas but haven't fed her them yet.
  • I've made green beans twice and never had that problem.. I use fresh and steam them way more than needed to make sure they are falling apart and then blend them with about a quarter cup of water
  • I'm doing a modified BLW. Breaking the "mesh feeder" rule by using the Kidsme sometimes (omg he loves that thing). And it's silicone so it's easy to clean and has replacement sacs. Between whole foods and purées, DS has tried: Apples, Pears, Peaches, Prunes, Strawberries, Mango, Green Beans, Peas, Broccoli, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, Carrots, Cheese sticks, Chicken, those organic cheesy puffs by Plum, etc etc. Loves everything so far except mango and carrots.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I took a short break from foods until today. I shared a couple of small spoonfuls of my soup with baby girl and let her gum on an apple. I also let her suck on a couple of orange slices while I held it so she wouldn't drop it on the floor.

I am really scared of her choking on food. Though I've given her big chunks of food to hold and gum on, I haven't given her anything that can easily break off into her mouth.

But she's almost 6 months old and I can't live in fear forever...

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @Chevygrrl91‌ my son's poop is different, but he is definitely still going. His favorite food is avocado and when he eats it it is actually a little looser.
  • Anyone's LOs not pooing after starting solids? Today was O's third day of avocado and I think it has been like 4 or 5 days since she's had a BM. I know they can go days without, but it seems like she was going regularly before we started solids.

We had this issue as well and like pp said I did water and juice as well. I give her 1 oz prune/apple juice by gerber and 1 oz water mixed for breakfast. She doesn't drink it all though so I found that just giving her a couple spoonfuls of prunes a day has really helped. Also I know I'm crazy but the potty has helped A LOT she's able to push down easier and go. So if she's having trouble I just sit her in there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I give her some more prunes.

• Scotty138 said:

We just started BLW. DS is showing all of the signs he is ready, but he makes disgusted faces every time the food touches his lips. We have tried avocado, sweet potato, and broccoli. He doesn't even get a good taste of them. Should we wait a while and try again in a couple weeks? Start with something else?

DS also makes a disgusted face at every food we've given him but then goes on to keep eating it. I think it's just that it's not what he expected so he's making faces
  • Emmagk said:
    We just started BLW. DS is showing all of the signs he is ready, but he makes disgusted faces every time the food touches his lips. We have tried avocado, sweet potato, and broccoli. He doesn't even get a good taste of them. Should we wait a while and try again in a couple weeks? Start with something else?
    DS also makes a disgusted face at every food we've given him but then goes on to keep eating it. I think it's just that it's not what he expected so he's making faces
    This. DD makes faces all the time and keeps grabbing for the same food. She did it with baby carrots and then again with hummus.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Omg too cute! I gave DS pears with mangos this morning and he did almost the same thing from how tart it was. But he kept yelling at me to shovel it in faster. This is more fun for me I think than him but we have succeeded on everything he's tried so far!
  • P is a champion eater, I guess.

I don't know WHAT form of feeding we are doing, really. I'm reading BLW and giving him chunks of avacado and banana. He loved it, though he had trouble handling them due to texture. So I started using the silicone feeder like @Marcella05‌ . After a few days of that, P was getting increasingly hungry and food curious, so I broke down and did organic purées. P loves it! Peas, broccoli, whatever I put in this kids mouth, he just loves. He's 6 months tomorrow. He was born over 9 pounds, so I figured he would be eager to start foods.
  • My son also makes the creepy crawly dance when he tries anything other than the oatmeal. So funny!

• @cook251 - is she eating any? Is it maybe too thick or thin? Maybe try something whole for her to "Nom" on like a banana?

DD Born @ 40+4

• @Cook251 we just gave DS some oatmeal for the first time this morning. He couldn't have cared less, and most if not all was spit onto his bib. I just stopped trying and will wait until next weekend or try a veggie sometime this week for dinner. I remember DD being like this too. They'll eat eventually. I was more paranoid with my first kid, but she came around to it.
  • Ok, instead of starting a new thread I'll ask my question on here. And if it's already been answered please point me to the right page. Toots will be 6 months on the 14th. I'm sure we will discuss solids at her appointment on the 13th. She is on formula, does she get less formula when she starts eating solids?

It's a BOY

• JKBMA2014 said:

Ok, instead of starting a new thread I'll ask my question on here. And if it's already been answered please point me to the right page. Toots will be 6 months on the 14th. I'm sure we will discuss solids at her appointment on the 13th. She is on formula, does she get less formula when she starts eating solids?

No as far as my pedi says it should stay the same unless they don't finish a bottle. Our schedule is wake up then usual bottle. After his morning nap I give him some oatmeal and then about an hour later he has a bottle of which he usually drinks 5-6 oz but now he will have about 4.5 or so. Then after his afternoon nap he will have "lunch" and then an hour later a bottle. If he has breakfast solids then I won't give him "dinner" with us and visa versa. We just rotate. But before solids he was drinking 28-30 oz a day. Now he drinks about 26-28oz a day. But I still offer his usual. And some days it varies depending on how hungry he is.
  • I let little H try a slice of orange I was eating today and she went crazy! She hasn't cared too much for fruit and maybe it was that she could suck it I don't know but I went to take it away because it was a small slice and I was holding it but afraid she might suck it in after it got all slimy and she was hysterical. So I let her suck on another piece then she decided she was done. I wasn't real sure about giving orange but I saw it was listed as a stage 2 fruit for 6-9 months and she's in that range (well next week) so I let her try it since she was eyeing it. She will eat the purées and loves anything green but she had been really excited about actual pieces of food like banana and now oranges. I think she feels more like us that way because she has no problem using a spoon if I am but if I'm eating a finger food she doesn't really want her food. Anyway this is random but was excited to find something she likes that much!

• My brezza book gives a
  • Beb went to town on some avocado in the mesh feeder.  It looked like she was covered in guac when she finished. I'm too much of a nervous nelly to do BLW, but I have to say, it was so great to not have to shove purees in her mouth. 

• I am also too nervous about choking to trust baby girl with soft solids like bananas. I give her whole peeled clementines and she sucks on those like an animal but when it starts to fall apart into the segments I take it away because she could suck those down.

We are still doing some purees, and some hand-fed tiny pieces of things like bananas and mild cheddar. I want to try chicken. I also tried some rice that was half mashed but she didn't like the texture.

• I've been making LO's purees using my immersion blender. I thought I got the chicken pretty smooth but she didn't like the texture-- I think it was too dry. Anyway, tonight I mixed the chicken purée with spinach purée and that went much better.

• I guess I just don't know a lot about what they can have but I saw beef stew up there. What are some actual dinners you've had that baby has eaten from? Whst about seasonings in our food is that alright? Sorry probably a dumb question but FTM here and our 6 month appt isn't until closer to 7 months. I'm sure I could look it up but curious what types of things besides traditional veggies and fruits your LO has had. She's just so interested in our food and I want her to try it but I get nervous about what they can and can't have.

• Today I made baby girl a couple of toast sticks and she ate them both! She did such a great job chewing and hardly gagged and never choked. At dinner I gave her a little bit of chicken and a couple pieces of our stuffing mix and she ate those too. It took a little more time to chew the chicken but she did without issue. I am so proud of her. She will be 6 month old next week.

She has, however, forgotten how to use a straw so I have trouble giving her water.

• DS is clearly showing preference to strongly flavoured foods. For the last 2 mornings he's had red lentil hummus on mum mums and through an absolute fit when they were all gone. The hummus is slightly spicy and garlicky. Last night I made curried celeriac for him and he lived it.
  • For those doing BLW, how would you serve pork roast to LO?

DD Born @ 40+4

• I just gave my little guy one of those gerber wagon wheels yesterday for the first time! Oh boy did he love it!!!
    After it melted down to nothing he cried that it was gone.
    I was a little hesitant about starting finger foods since he is pretty young, but I was excited to try them. He also picked up very quickly on how to eat purées so I thought he may be capable of finger foods.
    He knew just what to do. Picked it up, put it in and even tried biting. He drooled that thing to death!

I remember those rice rusks from experience with other kids, but can't remember much about them. Do you guys like them(or your kids. Lol) and would you reccommend them or anything else? I grabbed puffs while I was out, but I know he needs the fine motor skills for them. Not sure about that yet.
  • I just gave my little guy one of those gerber wagon wheels yesterday for the first time! Oh boy did he love it!!! After it melted down to nothing he cried that it was gone. I was a little hesitant about starting finger foods since he is pretty young, but I was excited to try them. He also picked up very quickly on how to eat purées so I thought he may be capable of finger foods. He knew just what to do. Picked it up, put it in and even tried biting. He drooled that thing to death! I remember those rice rusks from experience with other kids, but can't remember much about them. Do you guys like them(or your kids. Lol) and would you reccommend them or anything else? I grabbed puffs while I was out, but I know he needs the fine motor skills for them. Not sure about that yet.
    We've given DS the mum mum rice rusks a few times. He loves them with stuff spread over them like hummus or guacamole. He usually cries when they are all gone too

I gave LO peanut butter on toast this morning, I was crazy nervous and am watching like a hawk for reactions. It seems like there are so many mixed opinions on high allergy foods, give early give late etc... But no one in our family has any allergies to peanuts or any other foods. He seems to be doing good so far
  • @Emmagk - I gave about a tsp of peanut butter mixed with banana a few weeks ago - she loved it! No reactions. My pedi recommended introducing her to "allergy foods" before 7-8 months. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• @Emmagk‌ good to know. Thanks!
    My LO had a reaction to bananas already:( so the dr said to now avoid strawberries and kiwi just in case. Neither of us are allergic to any foods. They originally told me nothing is off limits.
    @Jcrewgirl85‌ I hear two sides to everything about trying these foods. I guess I better ask the dr at the next appt.
  • Baby girl chewed and ate two toast sticks and bits of chicken the other day and last night ate a bunch of Gerber cereal puffs. Today, she did not like the puree I gave her. Oh well.

• So far we've been doing a new food every 4 days, but only just started. We did rice cereal which was only what I would call a success on day 4. Then bananas, first in large pieces, which she only played with and never brought near her mouth, then purée which she basically hated. She winced whenever it was in her mouth and gagged while swallowing. Tonight we're gonna try pears. She seems more interested in eating the tray or table than her food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"