September 2012 Moms
Options

WWS12D? Free bunk bed

So DH's boss gave us bunk beds that were no longer being used at his house. He gave us the mattresses, too. Super nice. I wanted to give him a gift card to somewhere to say thank you. Well now that the bunk beds are in the room, we can't keep them. They take up way too much room and are too close to the ceiling/ceiling fan. We are going to get rid of them and get some smaller ones fro IKEA. Should we still give DH's boss something to say thank you?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

Re: WWS12D? Free bunk bed

• Options
    Have you told him that they are not going to work out in the room? I would pass along that info first and see if he has anyone else in mind to give them to. If he participates in the passing it forward to another family, I would just leave it at a thank you card. If it goes to one of your friends' or family members, I would still give him a small lunch appropriate gift card with a thank you card. If neither of you have anyone in mind and it ends up at a goodwill, just a thank you card for the thought.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    If it was recent that he gave them to you, I would ask if he wants them back.  He probably doesn't, but I think it would be awkward for him to ask how they're working out later and have you say "Oh we had to get rid of them".  I think I would still give him a small gift card, because it was a nice gesture. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    According to DH, the boss was just going to throw them away if we didn't take them. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what he says. DH also doesn't want to tell him we are getting rid of them. I think we should.
  • Options
    Do you know if his boss attends a certain church? You can contact them and see if they have a need/anyone in need of them. If they can take it, you can send a thank you note and let him know that they didn't work out and you donated to the church. Include the donation slip in the boss's name and he can write it off. Really anywhere if you end up donating I would give him the donation slip.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I'd probably give the same "thank you" you were planning on giving if they had worked out, since the gesture on his part was the same. 

I'd probably want to tell the boss that they didn't work out, especially if he knew someone else who may need them, but since it's primarily your DH's work relationship, if he felt strongly about not telling the boss you aren't keeping him, I'd defer to his judgement.
  • Options
    Given that he was going to toss them and, honestly, you may have done him a favor taking them (in some towns you have to pay for big pick-ups; if he donated them he would have had to organize that) I don't think a thank-you gift is required.  I'd send a note regardless.  Let your DH decide what to tell him.  It probably doesn't need to be brought up unless his boss asks how they're working out.

It's nice to give him the donation slip but if he was literally going to leave them on the curb, it's not IMO necessary.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FIL stopped by and we figured out a way to make them work. I do have to take the blades off the fan, but that'll be okay.

Thanks for your advice, ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"