Chit Chat

Dying hair in first trimester

micfranklinmicfranklin member
edited October 2014 in Chit Chat
I have a question. I've heard both sides but would like some opinions from moms to be. Would you or have you dyed or colored your hair while pregnant? I've heard there's no proof either way as to whether it could harm baby. Please be respectful of each other. I'm just trying to decide if I should touch up or not. I'm 5 weeks 2 days.

Re: Dying hair in first trimester

• I find it slightly disrespectful to not follow the by-laws of this board and not have a picture of a shirtless man in your post... just saying...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• OP I guess you didn't get any answers because you were so demanding...LOL (j/k). My Dr. told me not to even after my IUI, so I didn't until after I got my BFN. I don't know if my Dr. is conservative or not, but personally I would wait until you're done with your first trimester. Why risk it? There are some great touch up kits out there for grey hair at Sephora. My favorite is the Rita Haazan touch up spray, it works like a charm and comes in like 5 different colors. I also just bought one at Whole Foods that looks like a mascara wand. Is your issue gray hairs or needing blonde touched up? I've heard having highlights is not as bad, because they can keep it off of your scalp.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Loading the player...
  • I was told after the first trimester was safer and not to bleach but highlight if you MUST do your hair. 
  • I did during both pregnancies. My doctor gave the green light.
  • I did and my baby turned out fine. He is almost five now and not a single thing wrong so I assume it's safe. I asked my ob and my stylist first and got the ok before I did it.
  • Licensed cosmetologist here and also pregnant. Hair dye doesn't absorb into your scalp so unless you're in a closet sniffing hair dye you should be fine. Most hair color is ammonia free now and the active ingredient that either lifts or deposits color on your hair is hydrogen peroxide which is common in the household. If you're worried that your hair will somehow suck it into your body like a straw, I will let you know that your hair is dead. All of he hair on your body is made from dead skin cells being repurposed. I'm not a doctor so in order to be safe I would ask your physician.
  • I had the green light from my stylist and doctor to dye my hair whenever. I did choose to wait till after the first trimester---mainly because I always felt like crap and kept getting nauseated by strong smells. I was worried the dye would make me nauseated. I colored my hair around 16 weeks and again around 37 weeks. DS is two happy healthy and smart as can be.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im a licensed stylist almost 20 years....its totally safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"