Multiples
Options

Blood tests and sexes

I had the genetic screening blood test on Friday but my doc did to know how the sex part works for twins. I'm guessing they can just tell the presence of a Y chromosome and not the sex for each twin unless both girls. Anyone know for sure?

Re: Blood tests and sexes

• Options
    That is exactly what my OB said. They can say girls for sure, or at least one boy. But I also read research that says if you have other kids and one is a boy that it can skew the results because fetal DNA stays in the mom forever. Not sure if that's true though so we skipped the sex determination.
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The company my hospital uses wouldn't test sex for twins- mine were mono-di so it should have been possible, but they wouldn't do it.
    You'll wind up getting so many ultrasounds there won't be any doubt though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That is exactly what my OB said. They can say girls for sure, or at least one boy. But I also read research that says if you have other kids and one is a boy that it can skew the results because fetal DNA stays in the mom forever. Not sure if that's true though so we skipped the sex determination.

Mine said this too, but the lab used for the Harmony test refused to spill the beans. My doctor even called for a special request.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Had the Y chromosome test at 13 weeks, was given the results a week later, 2 girls. Confirmed at 20 week anatomy ultrasound.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    No y chromosomes on ours, so that was for sure...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a Y chromosome show up in blood work and was told one boy, one girl at 14 week u/s. I think it's probably correct but will wait to buy anything gender specific.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"