Breastfeeding
Options

Extended breast feeding, is rotting teeth a fact or not?

I have discussed extended breast feeding with my family (probably a mistake because none of them know much about breastfeeding period, and please if you don't agree with extended breastfeeding don't be rude, it's my personal choice) but I said that I am going to let my daughter wean herself and breastfeed as long as she likes as long as it doesn't get out of hand I would think she'd wean herself around 2 or so, but that's just from people I know and when their children stopped. But anyway my family is disgusted with the fact that I'm going to do that and they said that if she breastfeeds longer than a year her teeth will rot out and my pediatrician will flip out saying I have to stop breastfeeding at a year (I was going to go to the same pediatrician I had) and my mother said that my baby teeth rotted and I had problems with my teeth because my grandparents kept giving me my bottle after I was a year old. Is this whole teeth rotting thing actually true or is it a load of crap? From what I've read its a load of crap but I'd like other opinions also.

Re: Extended breast feeding, is rotting teeth a fact or not?

• Options
    casey78 said:

Also, I am the first IRL person I know to bf past a couple/few months and share it.  I don't go about telling everyone I see, but I am open about still bf because I think we need to talk about it.  I get my share of well-meaning concern about everything from teeth/biting to attachment to development to my own health.  I usually just smile and offer a gentle fact or rebuttal.

For example, somehow the topic came up and my boss expressed concern and shuttered about BF with teeth.  She just happened to be drinking a drink with a straw.  I just said, "Your teeth aren't in the way, of drinking through that straw, right? Breastfeeding isn't all that different." 

My ILs and family have slowly warmed up.  DH used to think it was weird and now takes it as a point of pride.

Thank you!! Idk how to keep from arguing over it because people can be so rude and my mom had the nerve to say "when does it go too far that it becomes pedophilia" idk if I spelled that right but I couldn't contain myself at that! I mean there is NOTHING sexual about breastfeeding your child and it bothers me even more because she's never breastfed so I don't fee she should try and have an influence on what I want to do and honestly all the negativity about extended breast feeding just makes me want to do it even more. She's also said "let me know how long that lasts after she's biting you all the time" my cousin breastfed until her son was 2 years old and she never had issues with him biting her and even if my daughter gets to where she's constantly biting me I mean of course I'm not going to just let her do it lol
    My mom has it set in her mind that there's only certain ways you should raise your children and that's the ways she raised my sister and I. But I hate to tell her I'm doing it my way lol
  • Options
    casey78 said:

I so understand.  And, clearly your people don't.  I frequently find myself walking a line of advocating/educating and just letting ignorance go.  I think EBF didn't really become an issue with my family because I didn't let it.  We all knew I would do whatever I thought was best regardless of the dialogue.  Sounds like your cousin will be a good resource for you. I hope you lean on her a bit.

As someone said here a few weeks ago, BF is no more sexual than someone tugging on your earlobe.  :D

I can't stress how helpful it has been to participate on this board and also navigate this journey with lovelies on my BMB.  Be sure to check out the EBF check-in.  I find it so positive, encouraging, and normalizing. 

When we first started this, my goal was to comply with the medical recommendation for at least a year. I thought we would wean at a year because I thought that's what people did.  My LO is 15 months and does not seem anywhere close to weaning.  I love that I can still provide her nutrition and comfort ... and, I selfishly enjoy that she'll stop her busy, busy ways to nurse and reconnect for a few minutes.

I agree 100% I have learned some things and have had a good bit of support so far with just my few posts I've made. More support than I've gotten at home other than my fiancé he has been very supportive with any decisions I've made. I'm afraid of my daughter wanting to stop breastfeeding after just a few months is like for her to go to at least a year anything beyond that is great. I'm just so excited to breastfeed and have that special bond with her that no one else can give.

Everyone also gave my cousin a hard time for how long she breastfed but she didn't let it bother her. And her son eventually just weaned himself. Her doctor even said there is no problem with extended breast feeding so I may ask who her pediatrician is because I don't want to go to the one I had if he's going to be judgemental and try and convince me to stop breastfeeding at a year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am sorry you are dealing with this.  I'd definitely recommend hanging out on this board, check out the Extended BF check ins that happen weekly, even if I dont have time to post my own, I love reading through them.  My LO is 16 months and still happily nursing every night before bed and occasionally more often.  If I was staying home with her, I'd probably nurse more often, but for now, this is working for us. 

Family, particularly older generations, including quite often the generation born around the time our mothers were born, and some of our grandmothers, often do not understand or support breastfeeding because in the time they were raising their babies, breastfeeding was not held in high esteem.  Just brush 'em off.  You know what you're doing is absolutely excellent for your baby and the rewards with extended breastfeeding are wonderful.  Besides the obvious health benefits, the emotional bonding time, the instant tantrum and boo boo soother, and the slows-down-a-toddler-when-nothing-else-will is AWESOME. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have 3 kids, all were BF. My first I BF until she was 10  months, my second until he was 18 months (nursed them both to sleep before naps and bedtime). My daughter never had a cavity in her baby teeth. My son did develop one cavity around the age of 5, but the dentist didn't do anything with it because it was in a baby tooth that would be falling out shortly.  So, neither of my kids suffered rotting teeth.  My current LO is 17 months and is still BF about 4x per day. From my personal experience, there was never an issue with their teeth.  I don't know if you need to drop your ped just because he didn't recommend extended BF when you were a baby (I'm assuming that was more than 16 years ago....when I had my first DD).  Peds didn't recommend it back then, but most support it now.  Medical information changes, and good doctors will change right along with it as more research is done.  I'd ask the doctor first, before ditching for someone else.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options

I am sorry you are dealing with this.  I'd definitely recommend hanging out on this board, check out the Extended BF check ins that happen weekly, even if I dont have time to post my own, I love reading through them.  My LO is 16 months and still happily nursing every night before bed and occasionally more often.  If I was staying home with her, I'd probably nurse more often, but for now, this is working for us. 

Family, particularly older generations, including quite often the generation born around the time our mothers were born, and some of our grandmothers, often do not understand or support breastfeeding because in the time they were raising their babies, breastfeeding was not held in high esteem.  Just brush 'em off.  You know what you're doing is absolutely excellent for your baby and the rewards with extended breastfeeding are wonderful.  Besides the obvious health benefits, the emotional bonding time, the instant tantrum and boo boo soother, and the slows-down-a-toddler-when-nothing-else-will is AWESOME. 

Thank you! Everything you said was very helpful! I didn't even know that about breastfeeding back then. My nan told my mom not to do it bc she viewed it as something sexual and my mom listened to her. My mom supports me breastfeeding but just not past a year old. They seem to forget that things change in 21 years and the doctor may have thought my formula rotted my baby teeth back then but now they've learned that's not the case. I have a lot of issues with older people in my family not taking in consideration that things change over time, people who had kids 30 years ago argue with me over things that are different now lol
  • Options

I have 3 kids, all were BF. My first I BF until she was 10  months, my second until he was 18 months (nursed them both to sleep before naps and bedtime). My daughter never had a cavity in her baby teeth. My son did develop one cavity around the age of 5, but the dentist didn't do anything with it because it was in a baby tooth that would be falling out shortly.  So, neither of my kids suffered rotting teeth.  My current LO is 17 months and is still BF about 4x per day. From my personal experience, there was never an issue with their teeth.  I don't know if you need to drop your ped just because he didn't recommend extended BF when you were a baby (I'm assuming that was more than 16 years ago....when I had my first DD).  Peds didn't recommend it back then, but most support it now.  Medical information changes, and good doctors will change right along with it as more research is done.  I'd ask the doctor first, before ditching for someone else.  GL!

Oh I haven't went to him to be my daughters doctor yet I was just considering him bc I had him n I liked him. But I have my 36 week appointment tomorrow n I was going to ask my midwife if she could suggest any other pediatricians around here so I could compare n see who I like best.
  • Options
    Just think about it logically. If that were true then all children would've had rotted teeth before formula came along. And there are many countries where extended breastfeeding is the norm, and I've never heard about an epidemic of rotting teeth. In fact I've heard that bottles and formula are actually bad for babies teeth. https://www.m.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/what-is-baby-bottle-tooth-decay
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options

From my understanding (and brief dental background) it is not breast milk that causes tooth decay. The problem is when any substance sits on the teeth for a long period of time. So it doesn't matter whether it's breast milk, formula, whole milk, juice, soda - if left on the teeth decay will eventually begin.

I think it's often associated with nursing especially those who are extended BF because  some of those kids at 2, 3 years old may be nursing in the middle of the night with no time to brush. Kids the same age who are not extended BF are brushing their teeth and going to bed without drinking in the middle of the night.

• Options

I would also like to add - take some time (I know you don't have much) to think about the kind of pediatrician you want. I could care less about a pediatricians view on breastfeeding, formula feeding, etc. I'm the mom. I decide what's best for my children. . I wanted (and found) a pediatrician who "allows" and supports me as the parent. She makes sure my kids are healthy and treats them when they are sick. End of story.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Just think about it logically. If that were true then all children would've had rotted teeth before formula came along. And there are many countries where extended breastfeeding is the norm, and I've never heard about an epidemic of rotting teeth. In fact I've heard that bottles and formula are actually bad for babies teeth. https://www.m.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/what-is-baby-bottle-tooth-decay

This is a ridiculous statement! Did you even read the article you linked?? Like 2nd sentence says that when liquids with added or natural sugars (that includes MILK) sit on teeth, it will cause decay! It has nothing to do with back in the day (only BM) or nowadays (FF). If anything, back in the day people tended to be a nasty toothless mess bc nobody was aware of proper oral hygiene!
    The truth is exactly what @JulyMumma‌ said right above. Whether BFed or FFed, a child with a bunch of teeth, esp molars way in the back of the mouth should brush them after having milk.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! This was very helpful!!
  • Options
    htk1113htk1113 member
    edited October 2014
    JulyMumma said:

From my understanding (and brief dental background) it is not breast milk that causes tooth decay. The problem is when any substance sits on the teeth for a long period of time. So it doesn't matter whether it's breast milk, formula, whole milk, juice, soda - if left on the teeth decay will eventually begin.

I think it's often associated with nursing especially those who are extended BF because  some of those kids at 2, 3 years old may be nursing in the middle of the night with no time to brush. Kids the same age who are not extended BF are brushing their teeth and going to bed without drinking in the middle of the night.

I agree.  This is one reason it is not recommend to let your baby sleep with a bottle since BM or Formula would both sit on the teeth for a long time which could lead to tooth decay.  

My dental hygienist recommended I avoid sharing spoons with my lo because it would introduce my mouth's bacteria into lo's.  She said that baby's mouths are pretty sterile which is one reason teeth brushing isn't crucial for awhile (that and the fact baby won't have a ton of teeth to brush until age 2). Anyway, I still share silverware with mine but the bacteria thing makes since and could contribute to teeth decay when combined with solids and no brushing.  

I haven't started brushing my lo's yet (10 month old) but have been thinking we should start practicing the habit.
  • Options
    @AubriasMomma113 my MIL hasn't supported me BFing my son. Even before he was born she warned me that he'd "bite off my nipple" and I'd never do it again. What's interesting is that she BF'd her two sons for six months each -- so I don't know what her issue is.

I'm still nursing him. He's 2 years old now. She still doesn't support it. And I have others in our circle who aren't overly supportive. I've had two of my doctors (my primary and my OBGYN) suggest that I wean him since he's two -- but for no medical reason other than they say he's old enough. His pedi is neutral.

Getting support helps. Early on I went to a weekly nursing group at the hospital where he was delivered, and I go to Le Leche League meetings now.

Lastly, Alex's teeth are fine.
    photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Interesting point about the not sharing spoons thing. I've heard that before but it's hard bc if I'm eating something I always let her try it. Related to tooth brushing: it's good to start early just to practice. My LO is 8 months and I brush her teeth every night bc we've started solids. We use NUK infant toothpaste and she mainly sucks it all off then let's me brush her teeth (7 in total!). Plus I give iron supplements and I'm worried about those staining her teeth.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I nursed my daughter until 2y7m and she has beautiful teeth.  We would always brush her teeth to make sure she didn't have any food in her mouth, but I'd nurse on demand at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"