June 2014 Moms

Do you own 2 different pumps?

If you already own and have tried two different brands of DOUBLE ELECTRIC breast pumps, which do you prefer? I have the Medela PISA (and a manual) but am in the market for a 2nd pump for work. 

Do I get another PISA? 

Have you tried the PISA but discovered a better one? 

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to rent or buy those expensive hospital grade models.

TTIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you own 2 different pumps?

• I have a hospital grade rental ($40/month oy), a PISA I bought OOP and an Ameda (insurance). For me, the hospital grade is the best, followed by the PISA and then the Ameda. I would just buy another PISA honestly. Then buy extra pump parts so you don't have to lug those around between work/home.

• I have the Ameda, hard to judge based off only using one commercial grade pump, but I hate mine. I hate it to the point that I was consider getting a new PISA one. I'm lucky to get 3 oz out of mine, when I have access to my work one (hospital grade) I'll get 7 oz consistently. The suction for me is horrible, turned all the way up is still weak. There is no let down button. Honestly I just hate how weak the motor is. Had I known I would have never gotten one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wait, I typically get like 3 ounces...had no idea 7 was even possible. I'm sure it's different for everyone but WOW @augustusgoose !

• I have a hospital grade rental ($40/month oy), a PISA I bought OOP and an Ameda (insurance). For me, the hospital grade is the best, followed by the PISA and then the Ameda. I would just buy another PISA honestly. Then buy extra pump parts so you don't have to lug those around between work/home.
    Extra parts I did buy, along with the hideous messenger bag. The pump itself, plus milk, plus my laptop, plus wearing my baby home from daycare is getting to my back a bit...and it's gonna be cold soon so add bulky coat to that. 

• no, i only own the ameda. I got it because i liked that it was a closed system. Despite that numerous many reviews of how bad it was, even from my own SIL who had one, i still got it. I work at a hospital and they have 3 hospital grade ones that anyone can use in the lactation room. I use theirs at work. I only pump twice and get about 7 oz out a time. When im at home with LO i BF.
  • I have a Pisa and a freestyle. I've been loving my freestyle this time around. It's nice to not have a bully bag laying around. I can discreetly transport it and it holds its charge really long. It's small and convenient. I actually just purchased a new one today because we had a fire in my house and the old one was damaged by smoke. I won't bother replacing Pisa.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I have the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra and I really like it. It surprises me that people hate it so much.
  • I have the avent double electric and u really like it. The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't work with a hands free bra. It works with my bottles though and I love that!
  • I have whatever Medela double electric insurance sent me... I also have the medela harmony manual pump, which I love. I figure when I go back to work I will leave the electric one in the office and use the manual one at home on the weekends, or as needed.

image        image

• @BMaidPlanner‌ - how often do you pump at home?

image        image

• lest12 said:

@BMaidPlanner‌ - how often do you pump at home?

It's always different. Usually once in the middle of the night if she goes a long stretch and only nurses on one side (pumping the other right after) and once on both sides before going into work in the morning (but I could also do that one at work.)

Once or twice I have snuck in a session after she went to bed, but she doesn't reliably stay asleep these days. ;-/

Using the manual in the middle of the night was a PITA once, I ended up finishing with the electric because I was so tired.

• I have 3. My main pump is a Medela my friend got through insurance but never used so she gave it to me. I bought the Ameda Purely Yours when I thought my Medela stopped working. I HATE that. I got maybe an oz combined when I used it. Then I ordered the Hygiea Enjoye through insurance after another friend raved about it. I wanted to see if I would produce more for a different pump. My favorite is the Medela. I use that at home and take the Hygiea to work.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • I have a PISA and an Ameda Purely Yours.  I never use the Ameda because I can't get anything out of it.  Pumping is still a struggle for me but the PISA has been my best option thus far.
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

• I have 3 PISAs and a Harmony hand pump. I buy the same so I don't have to keep parts straight.

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I have the Medela PISA but I'm getting 2-3oz/boob tops when I pump and he's eating 7+oz/bottle... I'm thinking of renting a hospital grade pump to keep at work, but if I do I would get the Medela Symphony because my hospital gave me the pump parts when I delivered to use while there (N was in the NICU so I needed to pump until he came home) and I don't want to spend $50 on the pieces for a different brand.

Did you notice a much higher output with hospital grade?

• I'm not sure of everyone's situation or if this can apply to you, but our hospital lets you use the hospital grade for free in the lactation room. They have three pumps.It might be worth it to see if your hospital has that. Either try it out to see if it's worth renting or maybe just hitting the pump on your way to work or from each day.
  • I have an even flow single electric that stinks for anything other than occasional use. It works great when lo would only eat from one side. I have a the first years mi double electric pump for work. It works great and has soft horns. My insurance didn't cover one with either baby so I went with a cheap one, only cost $80. I have nothing to compare it to but I have used it for 2 babies and I average about 16 oz a day. Also I have no idea what a let down button is bc mine doesn't have this but it sounds interesting.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm curious about this 'let down' feature... I haven't heard of it before.

image        image

• It's a fast 'sucking' feature that mimics a baby to make your body produce more milk. The hospital grade does 80 sucks per min. It's like when the baby does the fast sucks before the slow swallow ones.
  • I have the PISA and I rented a hospital grade one for the last month.

I was SUPER nervous when I went back to work about my supply because I felt like the PISA wasn't emptying me. I now notice a slight difference with out put with the hospital grade pump, but not as much as I noticed at first. Since I just started month 2 of renting, I'm going to wean myself off the hospital grade pump in about 2 weeks and go back to just the PISA and hope my supply isn't affected.

But, when I first got the hospital pump (Medela Symphony) I was pumping a total of 14 - 15 oz per day. And now, I get 20ish per day when I pump (sometimes 19, sometimes 21). I use my PISA in the car (with a hands free), and I notice when I use that in place of the Symphony, it's only off by about 1/2 an oz. But, at first, it was a noticeable difference. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have the medela PISA, and lately while I'm pumping it sounds like it is skipping. Has anyone ever had this happen? I feel like I'm still getting as many ounces as before, but just hoping that it doesn't die on me soon!
  • edited October 2014
    I already decided that if I am able to pump past 4 months, then I'm getting a Spectra. It seems to be highly popular among my EP facebook group.

FYI, I bought this bag for lugging my PIS, spare tote bag, lunch, cooler bag for ebm, mini laptop, etc. https://www.amazon.com/rockflowerpaper-Cassis-Aqua-Beach-Bucket/dp/B00BCXU8WY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413744376&sr=8-4&keywords=bucket+bag+rockflowerpaper

I keep my pump in a smaller tote-bag, and just bring that with me to pump in my office nursing room. 

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"