Babies: 3 - 6 Months

lack of Sleep + anxiety

Baby has been sleeping 8 to 10hrs a night for awhile now. Me? No I get a few hours a night. I always feel so wound up and a million things on my mind my brain can't slow down. I can't relax. I Know The Baby Is Fine, He Sleeps in A Pack And Play In Our Room And Even Naps 2 To 3 Times A Day And I Still Can't sleep. My rest is important too I'm just wondering if I need to be on something! ? I guess I would have to see a doctor but I don't want to be relying on pills. Is this just motherhood and I'll be a zombie day after day for a long time until he's older?! Or should I be able to sleep no problem? ... maybe this is just me rambling but I just needed someone to listen. I'm Sure My Husband is tired of me complaining..As his head hits the pillow he's out...sigh...must be nice! !

Re: lack of Sleep + anxiety

• I have anxiety that got way worse after I delivered. I spoke to 2 doctors about it. I ended up getting an rx which I have yet to take as needed. I don't like to rely on pills either so I've been doing yoga and trying to keep myself busy as to not think about my anxiety if that makes sense. My obgyn said there's a therapies that can be done also. I would go talk to your ob. I'm sure they'll have some insight. Unisom helps too when you just cant relax. It might just be temporary. Your body is still adapting to being a new Mom!
  • *my husband doesn't understand either the whole anxiety thing :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your reply, It definitely has gotten worse. & my husband does not understand. I will be seeing my ob at the end of the month but was thinking about talking to my family doctor sooner...it would be nice to take something as needed instead of everyday and could take 6 weeks for my body to get used to it.
  • I'm sorry you're feeling like this. Being a new mom and not sleeping, for whatever reason, it's so hard.

I would try doing some progressive muscle relaxation to see if that helps until you see you OB. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I went through this really badly with my first dd, ended up on prozac for anxiety and trazodone for sleep as needed. It was a lifesaver for me. I never had any previous problems with anxiety or insomnia, I think something just shifted when dd was born. 

Since second dd was born, I have hardly had to use trazodone at all, and am a thousand times more relaxed than the first time. I am not a fan of overusing meds either, but for me it was very bad and I got to the point where I had to take a leave of absence from work due to anxiety, lack of sleep, depression. Do what you need to do to be healthy for you and your little one. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I'm so sorry. I've been going through anxiety as well. It's an awful feeling.

I had to go to acupuncture and it actually got better, and has been getting better as time goes on. I've also tried meditation. Even basic breathe in, breathe out and bring your mind back to your breathing and just say to yourself...."thinking" "breathing". Concentrate on the breaths and hopefully it will help calm you.

People don't understand what you're going through....even if I've told them they're like...."Oh stop it. There's nothing to be anxious about." Other people that don't try and understand aren't helpful. I'm so sorry.

image  image image

• I have similar issues and am relieved I'm not alone. I was fine with my first baby, but had two miscarriages after, which I know triggered anxiety, which I've not dealt with before. I ended up getting pregnant again, and of course the anxiety heightened, which made my sleep lack. For me, and I know this might sound odd, but the less I slept, the more anxious I got about not sleeping. That's kind of where I am right now. My daughter was born in August, and I'm still struggling even though she is sleeping through the night. It's a sick cycle, and I am taking a med for it which sometimes helps, but sometimes my Rushing thoughts trump it. I do hope you find help in some form, for me it has been a long Journey that has consisted of therapy, meds, learning about overcoming sleep and insomnia techniques, talking it out with friends, reading my Bible and praying, journaling, etc.
  • Unisom and yoga might help. You might be psyching yourself out a little at night. I used to have "night demons" that stalked me every night as soon as I turned out the lights. Maybe try reading a funny book before you go to sleep. Best of luck.
  • I had nighttime anxiety pre-baby, so I went back on my rx that I was on before.  I will say that my old dosage is not as effective as it was before.  I think having a baby in the house adds a whole new level of anxiety.  I feel your pain!  

Also, DH doesn't get it either (didn't before).  I would say just brush that stuff off.  I think what PPs said was accurate, people who don't have it, just don't get it.  There's no - just relax - or - you're probably sleeping so much more than you realized.  False.  I know how much sleeping I'm getting when I hear the clock chime at the top of ever hour.

I strongly recommend seeing a doctor.  My script originally came from a sleep doctor.  I did not like their analysis, so I talked to a psychologist, and she confirmed the diagnosis and rx.  Now, I feel more comfortable knowing that across two disciplines, this is the best course of action for me.  
    //

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"