October 2014 Moms

Chloe's Birth Story

pinkshades05pinkshades05 member
edited October 2014 in October 2014 Moms

Short Version:

Chloe Danielle arrived on September 28th at 3:11am (@38w3d). She was 8lbs 1oz and 21in long. Labor began at 9pm the night before and she arrived 6 hours later after a couple pushes.

Long Version:

I was due October 9th so I will just start with that even though I am second time mom, I was still naive. My older daughter was born on her due date after 27 hours of labor. I thought it would be safe to assume that I wouldn't be meeting my new baby until at least October! So that assumption left us a little unprepared.

Over the weekend, we had a lot going on. My 2yo (Natalie) had thrown up on Thursday night and Saturday morning, we were getting carpets cleaned in anticipation of the baby, and I was still wrapping up my job before I went on leave for October. I was not expecting to wake up on Friday to see blood-tinged mucous when I wiped or to have contractions about once an hour through the night. At first, I wondered if this was really it--it just felt too early and it could still be false labor at this point. Then at 7am Saturday, the contractions and mucous stopped completely. I was now having a ton of pelvic pressure but nothing else. Ok, must have been false labor after all.

Saturday night my toddler just screamed at us. She had been puking that morning, was exhausted, and just not handling life very well. Bedtime couldn't come soon enough as my husband and I were frazzled. As soon as DD went to bed, though, contractions started coming. Unlike the night before, these were closer together, stronger, but they didnt last very long--maybe 30-45 seconds--and they were irregular. We were unsure what to make of it. If this was labor, we needed to call my SIL to grab our toddler (lives an hour away) and my mom who would be at the birth (4.5 hours away). But you never want to be that person who drags everyone out in the middle of the night just for false labor and seeing how labor stopped once, it could stop again. At 10pm, however, we made sure to call them and at least give a heads up that I was contracting. We also called the birth center we were delivering at who also thought it might be false labor and recommended a nice soak in the tub.

I sat in the tub at midnight, contractions slowing down slightly, but not disappearing. At this point I either wanted to have this baby or to go to bed. Preferably bed. I was still tired after dealing with my screaming toddler just hours before and even my DH really doubted that things were progressing. When my mom texted him if she should leave or take a nap, he told her to nap.

At 2am, I had a couple intense contractions. They were so painful that I jumped up to use the bathroom and could barely get myself back up. This was serious and I told my husband that we either needed to head to the birth center or we would be having this baby at home. DH grabbed all of our stuff together and threw it in the car. Oh yes, and we still had our sleeping toddler upstairs! There was no time to find someone else to watch her, so we called my SIL to just meet us at the birth center and she would take DD from there. It was poor planning but what else could we do?

I told DH if we arrived and the midwife said that I was barely dilated that I was going to scream. Contractions were even more intense and I could barely get through them in the car. When we arrived at the birth center, I jumped out of the car and ran in. I thought to myself that I needed help, I needed relief. The midwife wanted me to get a urine sample but I told her if I sat down that I wasn't getting up. She immediately admitted me and took me upstairs to one of the birthing suites to get checked. I was 7cm dilated. I felt so relieved!

The midwife had started filling the tub and before it was even full, I jumped right in. My husband walked in a few minutes later with our sleepy toddler and some of our bags. It was 2:52am when I was admitted. My water hadn't broke, I hadn't lost my mucous plug, and we thought it would be hours before we would see a baby. DH put Nat down in the next room and held my hand through a couple intense contractions. I was having a tough time coping with them so I changed positions. And after that I felt that unmistakable feeling of pushing.

I was really shocked that my water still hadn't broken and I was pushing. The midwife had me lay back down to prepare for a waterbirth and I could barely handle it. I told her I couldn't do it; I really wanted a break and to be able to relax for a second. But a couple pushes and baby's head was out but still in the sac. Another push and baby came out sand they put her in my arms. So we arrived at 2:52am and Chloe was born 20min later at 3:11am. I had dilated from 7cm to pushing my baby out in minutes. It happened so quickly and I'm still shocked that we have our baby in our arms already.

Recovery right after the birth was not so straightforward. I lost a lot of blood from the quick delivery so I was given two shots of pitocin and an IV for fluids along with another dose of pitocin. My uterus was in shock, too, and not contracting to stop the bleeding. It took a while to get that under control and then get stitches for a small second-degree tear.

My SIL walked in while I was being taken care of 30 minutes after the birth. She didn't end up making it to watch Nat so my toddler was there when the baby was born although she was in the next room. Nat came peeking out right afterwards, slightly confused at what had just happened. This was not my ideal situation. It was nice to have Nat a part of this moment but I really stressed out about her being there. DH couldn't really be 100% there for Chloe and me when my toddler needed his reassurance. It was also frightening for her to see me being taken care of afterwards. I just don't recommend having a 2yo at your birth if you can help it. Have a back up plan! But there was a sweet moment in there where I had a sleeping toddler and baby in my arms and I just snuggled with my girls!

My mom also didn't make it to the birth, either. With her 4.5 hour drive she arrived just as we were being discharged.

At the birth center, you are discharged 4-6 hours after the birth. This might seem short but it really was about that time that we were ready to head home and sleep. Even with the blood loss, I felt great and ready to go. BUT that is more because this was a second birth as opposed to first where I could barely shuffle down the hall.

And here are some adorable pictures:

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Chloe's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"