September 2014 Moms

Baby Sleep

So I've read lots of different ideas on the topic of baby sleep in regard to sleeping more at night than during the daytime. My pediatrician told me as long as she's getting decent stretches during the night she's fine, but if she starts waking up every hour what I should do is try and wake her during the day to feed more often to combat this. What are you guys doing with your LO's? Do you wake them during the day, or do you just let them sleep and hope for the best at night?

Re: Baby Sleep

• I wake mine during the day every 2-3 hours to eat. This doesn't always help with her sleeping at night though. It's day by day for us.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• I wake mine during the day as much as I can. He tends to beat me to it most of the time.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is hardly sleeping during the day but I don't let him go for more than 3 hours without eating unless it's after 10 pm
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• Before LO was 2 weeks old, I wouldn't let him go without eating any longer than 3 hours. Now, I let him sleep, because he is nearly 3 weeks old and gaining weight just fine. He wakes me when he's hungry, whether that's an hour after he's eaten or 4.
  • I don't know how old your LO is, but for us, we just take it one day at a time. She's four weeks now and is awake longer most days now. She has her days when she is especially sleepy, whereas, I leave her alone. I never have to worry about her sleeping too long before eating again. If I want to keep her awake a little longer, I will put her on her playmat which she loves. If she's still tired or hungry then she'll let me know otherwise.

• I wake her every three hours to eat, but if she's sleepy she will just go right back to sleep after the feeding. She has really good awake stretches during the day, but even so she can also have really good awake stretches during the night.

• Living life in 3 hour stretches here.

Same!

Gemma
    born August 31, 2014

Me too, along with a two yr old.
  • LO is 5 weeks old tomorrow & slept for 8 glorious hours last night. I just got lucky with this one. Since about 3 weeks he usually sleeps 4.5-5.5 hour stretches at night after nursing at 1030/11 pm. During the day, I offer the breast every 2 hours if he's awake & wake him to eat by 3 hours. I don't really think that has anything to do with his sleeping, I'm just obsessive about getting in at least 8 feedings per day :)
  • My daughter is 4 weeks old and we've had 1.5 hour stretches the last three nights. I am nursing and supplementing. The paediatrician I saw today recommended more formula after nursing due to the short sleep times. Am hoping for more sleep tonight.
  • I've been trying to keep a schedule so that LO sleeps better at night. But honestly it's a day by day struggle and I'm in survival mode at this point with LO and her older siblings.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • LO is up to 3 hour sleep stretches with a good awake period from 11-230 then out like a light until 7ish. He's drinking a full 3oz but now I'm thinking he has been fussy because he wants more so at night and early morning I've been giving him 4oz. We've been having bad nights due to gas pains cause he does not want to burp. Ever. He is formula fed cause I was too sick after birth with severe preeclampsia problems and not milk supply ever came :(.
  • Our boys are 4 weeks old today.  Our experience has been that what happens in the 2 hours before bedtime matters more than how much they've slept during the day.  When we're really consistent with getting them fully awake 2 hours before bedtime and then giving a bath/wipedown, lotion, swaddle, and a warm bottle before laying them down, we're able to get good 3-4 hours.  Then, when they wake up for the MOTN night, if we get to them before they are full-on crying and give a full feeding, they'll give us another 3-4 hour stretch.  We still have a bad night here and there, but the bedtime routine seems to be helping. 
    Yep this is me too.  Sometimes I even worry that 3 hrs is too much and will feed him 2.5 hrs.  I have let him go like 3.5 hrs in the MOTN a few times. 

DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Sleep breeds sleep, a well rested baby would accept bedtime better than a tired one. I make sure lo doesn't nap after 5pm. Our BT stretches bet 6:00 to 6:30 or sometimes 6:30 to 7:00ish depending upon amount of naps she had during the day. She is not that great napper, but i wouldn't let her nap stretch more 3 hours.
    Keep feeding session at start of bt so that she doesn't associate it with sleep. Keep bedtime short and simple and put her in crib drowsy but awake. This will help her falling back asleep on her own after a sleep cycle completes. Do you still swaddle her to bed? We use a sleep sack and believe it helped LO sleep better and longer. Such a great comforting material for babies!! Recommend it to all our friends, here's online link babydeedee.com