November 2014 Moms
Options

Asking to work from home...

edited October 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Has anyone done this?

When I first got pregnant, my boss said they could make accommodations so I could WFH towards the end.  I'm 34 weeks, scheduled to deliver "during week 37" so I have 2-3 weeks of work left after this one. 

I am so uncomfortable (aren't we all!) and I really want to ask if I can start WFH, at least part of the time.  I think if I could sleep in a bit and be able to sit with my feet up, it would really help with my comfort level and swelling.  Is it too soon? Is there anything specific I should say?  I have an OB appt next tuesday so I was going to talk to her about it and see if she could maybe write a note supporting this idea.

Thoughts?

ETA: as of right now there is no medical reason why I would need to WFH, I just want to for my own comfort level, which I think is part of the reason why I'm a little apprehensive to ask.

Re: Asking to work from home...

• Options
    I'd definitely talk to your boss about the possibility! It was mentioned before, and I think 2 to 3 weeks isnt unreasonable. If I had this as an option I would take it. I'd probably ask sooner rather than later in case they need to make any special arrangements for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this is really a workplace-specific question.  Some workplaces are more open to working from home than others (and some jobs are easier to do remotely).  Since you've already spoken to someone about it, I would bring it up with your supervisors.  I would emphasize that the commute and confinements of your desk (like not being able to work on the couch, with your feet up) are becoming more difficult and you'd like to work remotely for the remainder of your pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I would love it if my work would let me work from home.  But since my work has Unions someone somewhere would complain.  I for one just want to work from home because the girl feeling in for me is pretty overwhelmed with everything cause I guess she didn't realize I did so much. 

But totally agree with the being uncomfortable at work.  I can barely work for an hour without having to get up and walk around.  We do have a lobby that has some really good chairs and a place to prop my feet up and I have very much thought about taking my laptop and just working there.  But there is of course this lady (me and my friends call her the Devil in Denim because she wears these really bad patterned denim outfits all the time and she is sooooo rude) she would pretty much flip out on me.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    If they said that they would accommodate you I would def take them up on their offer.  Becuase of my commute alone my OB wanted me out at 34 weeks ( i figured it would be 36)  I thought that was a little crazy so I talked to my supervisors.  They were willing for me to work at home for the first two weeks but I offered to work at one of our stores in an office there for the two weeks cuz it's 10 mins from the house.
    So I reallly don't think going out and working from home 2-3 weeks prior is bad at all.. You should def do it.
    I worked from the office twice last week due to doc appts and cutting my commute to those 10-15mins made such a big diff..got to sleep a little later and it was less stressful.  I'm counting down the days here.  Friday is my last day in the city...2 weeks in the other office and the FMLA leave.
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm not working this time around, but I started working from home for the last month with my first. I had no real medical reason either, but my boss was very understanding. I had a pretty long commute, which she got because she lived right down the road from me. Everyone was also worried about me going into labor at the office, so they were willing to work with me. I started out working from home maybe two days a week, or going in half days sometimes. As I got closer to my due date, I was home more than at the office. I think this is very workplace specific though, so you just need to talk to your boss and see what you can work out.
  • Options
    Has anyone done this?

When I first got pregnant, my boss said they could make accommodations so I could WFH towards the end.  I'm 34 weeks, scheduled to deliver "during week 37" so I have 2-3 weeks of work left after this one. 
    If you only have 2-3 weeks left, the end is here.  :)  Just my suggestion, I would ask to talk to your boss today or tomorrow to give them time to prepare and ask for it to be effective on Monday (if that works for you & them). 
    N'14 November Siggy Challenge:  Straight up celebration!

P.S.  I love the 90s.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!  I'm going to go home tonight and see what software and licenses my laptop has to see if this is even something that may be do-able.  If it is w/out being too much of a pain in the ass, I'm going to talk to my boss tomorrow.

• Options
    A couple thoughts on this, as I do work from home. Do your homework first. Find out from your HR dept. what kind of WFH policy you have (if you have one). Like a pp suggested, take your laptop home and ensure you can get into your companies network, etc. Let your boss know what he/she can expect from you while you're working from home (be specific, hours you'll be available, daily project/work status updates, etc.) Not everyone is great at working from home and you want to show him/her what your productivity plan will be. I would try not to require anything from your company, and let them know you'll use your own phone line, etc. if needed. 

Also I think 2-3 weeks is fine. Definitely engage in the conversation now. 
    Thanks for the tips!  It's kind of a weird situation as I'm a contractor, but we generally follow the rules of who we contract with rather than my company.  They (holders of the contract) are fine with me WFH and even mentioned it.  I'm going to see what's what on my laptop tonight.  I appreciate the insight from an HR person!

• Options
    A couple thoughts on this, as I do work from home. Do your homework first. Find out from your HR dept. what kind of WFH policy you have (if you have one). Like a pp suggested, take your laptop home and ensure you can get into your companies network, etc. Let your boss know what he/she can expect from you while you're working from home (be specific, hours you'll be available, daily project/work status updates, etc.) Not everyone is great at working from home and you want to show him/her what your productivity plan will be. I would try not to require anything from your company, and let them know you'll use your own phone line, etc. if needed. 

Also I think 2-3 weeks is fine. Definitely engage in the conversation now. 
    Thanks for the tips!  It's kind of a weird situation as I'm a contractor, but we generally follow the rules of who we contract with rather than my company.  They (holders of the contract) are fine with me WFH and even mentioned it.  I'm going to see what's what on my laptop tonight.  I appreciate the insight from an HR person!
    Happy to help. I don't actually work in HR, but have had employees in the past work from home and these were the steps required before I/HR let anyone work from home. :)
    Sorry, read too fast!  But thanks again!  :)

• Options
    Thanks for posting this, I have been wanting to talk to my boss about working from home for the next few weeks and wasn't quite sure how to go about it.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers      Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Would your OB help back you up?

This came up for me yesterday, and my OB said they would support what I needed to feel the best towards the end of my pregnancy. 

I think that would help a lot in your conversation if you could tie-in that kind of support from your OB. 

Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've been working from home about 2 days a week since I found out I was pregnant. But a large portion of my job is writing, so it was already fairly normal for me to work from home regularly. Plus according to my boss "the baby is now my core business"... Hmmm... Anyway!

I just always make sure people know when I'll be out, what I'll be working on and how to contact me.
  • Options
    @lizzielu82 - I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'm going to ask. 

I just had a very brief convo with my boss (Interrupted by the phone!) and told her I was "hitting the wall" and if it was OK may need to start working from home some.  She seemed receptive and said she was impressed that I have made it this far.  Then the freaking phone rang.

• Options
    Good luck! I'm glad you brought it up to her, hoping it's a smooth convo when you get to finish it (and that it works out)!

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Options
    Just talked to my "big boss" and he's 100% OK with it.  Have a meeting set up for monday, hope to start WFH on Weds.  Even though I have an on-site meeting on Thursday that I'll have to attend but that's OK.

• Options
    I'm 34 weeks and just talked with my boss about WFH friday and mondays and he said no problem. The 'meat' of my week is T-Th so I need to be in the office those days but missing a 2 hours commute 2 days a week will be a god send!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"