September 2014 Moms

Gestational Diabetes ladies-Update us!

Hello ladies!  I honestly have been in a newborn haze and totally forgot to post the check in last week and just realized that it is Tuesday again!

I feel like most of us have had our LO's by this point due to being induced or just going into labor. 

How was the delivery? How did they monitor you for your sugars? Were you allowed to eat during labor?  How big was your LO and how were their sugar levels after birth?

Hope you are all doing great! =).
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gestational Diabetes ladies-Update us!

• edited October 2014
    How was the delivery? 

Delivery wasn't too bad until towards the end when I had to push.  My epidural didn't take full effect on my right side, and that's where his back was when I was pushing him out.

How did they monitor you for your sugars? 

They stuck my fingers on my left hand every two hours.

Were you allowed to eat during labor? 

I wasn't allowed to eat, but they did give me juice during labor if my sugars were too low when they checked them.

How big was your LO and how were their sugar levels after birth?

Travis was 6 lb 8 oz at birth, and right after delivery his levels were at 81.  They dipped a couple of hours later and we couldn't get them back up, so he spent the rest of his time there in the NICU on a glucose drip.  They started him off at 10 ml and weaned him off slowly.  I did get to BF in the NICU and we supplemented with formula.  Our main concern was getting his sugars up and getting him home.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    Married 08/11/12 & TTC Since 10/13
    Previous Endo and Ovarian Cyst DX 
    March 2010: Lap. Surgery & D&C--removed 2 cysts 
    BFP: 12/20/2013 EDD: 09/03/2014 
    Travis Karel arrived on 08/21/2014 at 38w1d.
    BFP #2!  Travis is getting a sibling!
    EDD: 1/24/2017

Mama to my two furbabies Sam and Phoenix

• How was the delivery?

My water broke before my body went into labor. I was on pitocin for 25 hours, still not at 10 cm. I was spiking a fever and little one was getting distressed during contractions. So we ended up with a c section.

Every 2 hours. At one point I started uncontrollable shaking. My bs was a tad low, so I got a turkey sandwich. I don't really remember it since it was during the unbearable contractions pre epi. But ended up I just shake during labor. I didn't stop until hours after delivery. I also got apple juice when it hit 40.

Turkey sandwich midway through and Apple juice.

7 lb 7 oz, definitely smaller than expected. Post birth sugar was good. Then it went low. I think it was my fault for not nursing long enough - FTM fail. Then they said they would have to monitor her for 24 hours at least every 3 hours. But since she was good overnight they said we were in the clear.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Delivery was 9/22 by induction and everything was just fine until the end when I got my epidural at 5cm at 5pm and my dr should have had time to go get her son sand be back in plenty of time. Wrong. Within 20 minutes I had the worst pressure and could not stop my body from pushing. Doc was still 20 minutes out. She ran into the room just in time to get gowned, gloved and catch baby literally two pushes after she arrived. Oh and then the spinal headache that lasted a full week after delivery. That was fun.

My sugars weren't monitored during labor because I was completely diet controlled and only had one level over target in the last 3-4 weeks.

I wasn't suppose to eat during labor but I did steal a few of dh's cheese ritz bitz because I was starving.

Ds was 6lbs 11oz 19 inches long and had perfect sugars after birth. His levels were watched every few hours, before bf for 12 hours and always were 51-55, so they let us leave at 24 hours! He's been doing great and is already a few ounces over birth weight at 8 days.
  • How was the delivery? Great. I got to the hospital at 9:45 and was 9cm. DD was born at 10:28. It was really a fast and furious labor.

How did they monitor you for your sugars? They checked them when I first got there. Then they took my fasting the next morning. I thought it was kind of unfair really. They gave me orange juice at about midnight and then my DD had to go to the NICU so we got maybe 2 hours of sleep. Then at 7 they took the fasting and it was 89. Obviously it was affected by everything else.

Were you allowed to eat during labor?  No time.

How big was your LO and how were their sugar levels after birth? 8lbs 5 oz. Sugars were always good but she had trouble breathing. This may have been due to my GD. I was nervous that her sugars would be too low because I got to nurse for a few minutes and then she wasn't allowed to eat for about 8 hours. Everything turned out well though.

• Howdy ladies! :) Long time no talk...

They monitored my sugar levels every couple of hours with the finger test to make sure it wasn't too low since I ate at 6 pm on September 1 and he was born at 5:30 pm on Sept 2. I stayed around 90 the whole time even after a popsicle. (The only thing I ate.) His blood sugars were perfect when he was born and he weighed in at 8 lbs. 4 oz. My doctor was extremely pleased. :D

• Hello ladies!

How was the delivery?  I went into labor on Sept 18th and had her at 9:25 AM on the 19th. The delivery was good-the actual active labor/pushing part happened in all an under an hour. It was super painful, but how I felt after and how I feel now is like night and day from my son's delivery.

How did they monitor you for your sugars? They checked my sugars just once in triage and then left me alone the rest of the time since my number was in the 80s.

Were you allowed to eat during labor?  Yep, I could eat whatever I wanted during labor. I had some miso soup, crackers, and fruit to keep my energy up.  My favorite part after delivery was my nurses ordered me a huge pancake breakfast with syrup, eggs, and bacon complete with all the juice I wanted ha ha...they knew with the GD that I craved something sweet =)

How big was your LO and how were their sugar levels after birth? Hailey was 7 lbs, 4 oz at 39 weeks and her sugar levels were perfect. They checked her right after birth and then 2 more times within 12 hours-she was perfect each time.  So no NICU or formula, which was our ultimate goal.

So glad to hear from all of you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Delivery was pretty good.  I started with contractions about every 5-6 minutes around 4pm.  Finally went into L&D at 1am, dialated to 2.5 ish.  My dr wanted me to wait till 5cm or more till I got the epi.  That took about 3 hours.  Once I got the epi. I went from 6cm to 9 in 45 minutes.  I pushed for 30 minutes.  My dr had to cut me because DS was right there ready to be born but was having major decelerations.

No...but honestly I didnt even think about it.

How big was LO and how were their sugar levels after birth?

He was born at 6lbs9oz, much smaller then what I would have guessed it would be.  They monitored his sugars every half hour after eating, for 12 hours.  Everything looked great.  As for me they only monitored me twice. 

DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• CrystalRL said:

I

Atticus was 7lbs 14oz. Less than what his growth scans showed. He had a hard time regulating his blood sugars so was on a glucose drip in the nicu. He was in the nicu 7 days to receive antibiotics so they slowly weaned him off of it over 5 days. They pricked his little heals 8 times a day. Poor little guy hates for his feet to be touched.

Travis got pricked in the NICU too and hated for his feet to be messed with for a couple of weeks afterwards. Poor thing screamed when the triage nurse put the O2 monitor on him at his two week appointment. He's better now though and doesn't mind it as much.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    Married 08/11/12 & TTC Since 10/13
    Previous Endo and Ovarian Cyst DX 
    March 2010: Lap. Surgery & D&C--removed 2 cysts 
    BFP: 12/20/2013 EDD: 09/03/2014 
    Travis Karel arrived on 08/21/2014 at 38w1d.
    BFP #2!  Travis is getting a sibling!
    EDD: 1/24/2017

Mama to my two furbabies Sam and Phoenix

• camichael84camichael84 member
    edited October 2014
    How was the delivery?

Really good. I was scheduled for an induction, but my water broke two days before we were suppose to go in. Contractions hadn't started prior to water breaking, but picked up pretty fast soon after. Things progressed really quickly, and I opted for an epi earlier than I had planned, but I have no regrets. I felt everything while pushing, but it probably was for the best. Turns out my pelvis is rather small. So small, in fact, the OB was certain I'd need a c-section. Being able to feel everything probably helped me push more effectively and avoid the c/s.

They didn't, which surprised me. Also, I was allowed to eat as normal after her birth, and they took me off of the Glyburide the day she was born. I'm doing a two hour glucose test at 6 weeks postpartum to make sure things are back to normal, but that's it.

No. I was allowed clear liquids, but I only labored from 12 am to 8 am before I pushed for an hour, so I didn't get really get hungry.

DD was 7lbs 9 oz, and her sugar levels were great. I asked them five times after she was born when they were going to check her sugar (they did the first check half an hour after her first feeding) because I was so worried she'd end up with low levels.

• I was scheduled for an induction at 39 weeks, but ended up being admitted with high BP at 38 weeks and delivering at 38.3 with a 48 hour induction that led to an urgent section. They checked my BS every 2 hours, but didn't give me my insulin. During the Cervidil part, I could have clear liquids, between Cervidil #1 and #2 I was allowed to have a meal of my choice. Then, before I started Pitocin, I was able to eat another meal. Once the pit started I could only have water and ice chips. After the section they still monitored my BS 2 hours after every meal and in the am, but they were all normal, so no treatment My LO was 7.7, they estimated her to be 8-9lbs at 39 weeks, not sure that she would have been that big 3 days later. Her sugars were normal. They checked 3 times after birth and no more after the normals.

TTC since 3/2012 
    Started charting 12/2012 
    BFP 2/10/13 - MC 3/4/13 
    BFP 6/23/13 - CP 6/27/13 
    BFP 12/31/13 EDD 9/11/14  **please be our rainbow baby!**

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Thanks @suitern‌ for the check-in! I've missed everyone's updates! My delivery was relatively easy. I was induced due to the GD. I went in at 4pm the night before and was given cervadil at 7pm. I started having contractions almost immediately, so it was a rough night. I was given some pain medicine around 2am that helped ease the pain a bit. My water broke at 6am, pitocin started at 7am, and they gave me an epidural at 7:30am. Reagan was born at 2:22pm after about 10 good pushes. I tested my sugars with my monitor twice the day she was born at the doctor's request and they were normal. I will also have a 2 hour glucose test to make sure I didn't develop DMII. But right now, I've been enjoying all of the foods I didn't have while I was pregnant! I had a big plate of pancakes after she was delivered. I was allowed to eat up until midnight the night before she was born, so I made sure I ate right up until then. I knew I wouldn't be able to have anything except ice chips the next day. I tried to get the doctor to at least let me have a Popsicle or jello, but nope. Reagan was born at 6 lb and 2 oz and her sugars were perfectly fine! She was 6 lb and 13 oz at her 2 week check up. We have her one month check up tomorrow, so we will see how much she weighs.
    Me: 36       DH:38
    DD born 9/3/14
    BFP: 1/8/18        EDD: 9/18/18
  • Hello! So although I had my GD controlled by diet until the end, we did end up inducing on my due date and LO came the next day. He was smaller than they expected (8 lbs 6 oz, 21" long) but his head and shoulders are much larger in proportion to the rest of his body. It's starting to even out the past few days. His sugars were really low at birth so we had to supplement until my milk came in, the colostrum wasn't enough. Ultimately we went home after 2 nights and neither of us have had sugar issues since. :)

Second timers or more - did you find that if you had GD the first time you had it in every subsequent pregnancy?

imageimage

• amom2fouramom2four member
    edited October 2014

Second timers or more - did you find that if you had GD the first time you had it in every subsequent pregnancy?

I did not have gd with dd1 and ds1 but did have it with dd2 and ds2. I am overweight though and although I did loose weight between my last two kids, it was very gradual and not enough to ward off the gd.

Eta my cousin had gd with her first pregnancy and had a horrible time controlling it even with insulin and she did not have gd with her youngest.
  • I had Grant back in August, was supposed to be induced on a tuesday night but ended up delivering Tuesday morning, thanks to having my membranes stripped.  My sugars were all over the board while in labor but thankfully I kept them under the number that they wanted me at.  I did screw up and not eat anything before going in and I regret that immensely.  I had a popsicle and that shot my sugar up so I could only have beef broth through labor.  Grant came after a half hr and was 8 lb 3 oz, basically right on track with all estimates.  He was two pounds bigger then his brother, but he came at 36.6.  To the surprise of my dr I had no problem delivering him.  He was very worried I would not be successful with this delivery based on how my last delivery went.  Grant had no problem keeping his sugar up.

Also I did not have GD with my first pregnancy but had it with this one.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"