Working Moms
Options

NWMR: Shopping for an SUV This Weekend. Opinions Please!

Right now I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring that I want to trade for a 2014 SUV, either a Kia Sorento or a Mazda CX-5. I looked at Consumer Reports on both vehicles and they both have high ratings. Price is not an issue. I want something a little bigger then what I have, but not something huge and my heart is set on an SUV.  I only have one child and none on the way. With all of that said, do you love or hate your Mazda or Kia? Any pros/cons? Help and opinions wanted!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: NWMR: Shopping for an SUV This Weekend. Opinions Please!

• Options
    I have several relatives who have Kia SUVs. All love them and they seem to last forever. I sometimes have to drive Mazdas as rental cars. I hate them. They feel cheap to me.
  • Options
    Just got a 2013 Sorrento and LOVE it! The Mazda seemed too small to me. The Sorrento drives great and is just really fun. 3rd row seat is awesome, too, with the carpool kids and I'm hoping for when folks visit. I'm 5'8" and I'm fine sitting in the 3rd row, though climbing in and put might be a pain for older folks.

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use IIHS ratings and watch the crash tests as my deal breakers.  Also, the forums on car-seat dot org are really helpful - even with only one child there are some "gotchas" you might want to avoid with vehicles - like mine has stiff buckle stalks, so the sleepover party dinner transportation with 5 booster seats/car seats was a nightmare. 
  • Options
    I drove my friend's Mazda CX9 (the big one) when I was looking and really liked it. I had a murano before and was looking for something comparable. I actually really liked my murano (great car - over 100k miles on it). Maybe take a look at the Nissan rogue? Another friend has it and loves it.

FWIW - I wound up getting an Acura MDX and I'm in love with it.
  • Options
    We still own my old KIA Sportage 2006, I bought it in 2007 and it was used by someone for a year before and we still own it to date, my husband uses it now and it was an AMAZING car to use, easy to park because it isn't huge yet had a really good size trunk, used to drive it to uni (very long drive) and on unpaved rural paths and I loved it.

the car I have now is a 2014 Honda CRV and it's PERFECT! loving it too, all of my siblings drove Honda SUVs CRVs and MRVs and they loved them
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    NADA-H said:
    We still own my old KIA Sportage 2006, I bought it in 2007 and it was used by someone for a year before and we still own it to date, my husband uses it now and it was an AMAZING car to use, easy to park because it isn't huge yet had a really good size trunk, used to drive it to uni (very long drive) and on unpaved rural paths and I loved it.

the car I have now is a 2014 Honda CRV and it's PERFECT! loving it too, all of my siblings drove Honda SUVs CRVs and MRVs and they loved them

The Honda CRV was recommended to me along with the Honda Santa Fe!! I will be adding those to my list to test drive. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    @jasminelorraine20 what I noticed with the new honda CRV is that the fuel requirements for it have dropped, it has an economic fuel button and it makes better use of the fuel u have in the tank, I drive with that on all the time and I believe its 4 cylinders, my Kia was a 6 cylinder car and I paid more to fill it up.

the CRV is so smooth to drive around and parking it is easy too due to it's sleek size/shape. Enjoy the test drive! I wasn't 100% sure when I made the purchase back in March just because I didn't know what I wanted but now I couldn't have been happier with my choice.
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    We had a Terrain before moving up to the Enclave - loved it. 
  • Options
    My vote would be for a Buick Enclave.  Buicks have excellent safety and reliability ratings as well.   I'll be trading my Saturn Outlook for a Buick Enclave in a few years!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

kmh2201 said:
    My vote would be for a Buick Enclave.  Buicks have excellent safety and reliability ratings as well.   I'll be trading my Saturn Outlook for a Buick Enclave in a few years!

Thank you, but the Enclave is a little bigger than what I was looking for.
  • Options
    If a CRV is in the running, check out the Rav4. We have one with a hidden third row that we love! 
    Is that a new feature?? Our 2012 doesn't have it, but we otherwise love the Rav4!
  • Options
    My newest car is 7 years old, so I might be out of touch with "safety" features on cars, but my sister has a '13 or '14 Mazda 5-door and the locks on it would drive me insane. I am not sure if they were standard, but I will never, ever accept a vehicle with the locking system she has. She does not have to put a key in the lock or the ignition, but sometimes the car doesn't lock or unlock on the first try. I re-lock my car as soon as I open the door to get in or out, and she does not have the option to do that. In the past, I have had someone get in my car with me (drunk idiot, not carjacker, whew) because the passenger door was not locked, and I will not run that risk again.

Other than that, she loves her Mazda and I find it to have a nice ride to it when I go places with her.
  • Options
    Be careful with the supposed 4 seater Rav4.  Due to overlapping belts in the backseat, only two of those seats may be safely used at any given time, making it a 4 seater with five seat locations :(
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We have a CRV and love it! It is comfortable, great in the snow and the cargo space is perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"