Baby Names

Girl names

We just found out we are team pink! When I was pregnant with DS, all I could think of was boy names. I have always had a hard time with girl names. I loved Danielle and still do a little, but a girl named Danielle kind of ruined it for me. My son's name is Caleb. If we were to have another boy, I already had a name picked out, Ruben Thomas (after my grandfather and dad).

Our DD is due 2/14/15 (I know she may or may not come on this day). I want a name meaning "love" or "beloved". I found Cara/Kara. I am a person who wants real names spelled the correct way. Is Kara misspelled? I have seen both. Right now we are tossing names around. Nothing is for sure. I do want to honor my sister and mom though. Sister is Karen and mother is Vivian.

I was thinking Kara Vivienne. Any thoughts?
imageimageimage
As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
 AF arrived 12/18/13
BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
TTA until May/Jun
WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Girl names

• I think Kara Vivienne is lovely.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Kara Vivienne is very pretty.  Kara ia a legit variant.  GL!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I prefer Cara, but Kara Vivian is very pretty.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• MauiBliss said:
    I like the look of Cara better but Kara is legit. 

Also, Vivienne is not the same as Vivian so as long as you know that, I do like Cara/Kara Vivienne. If you like the Vivian pronunciation, just use Vivian. It's still lovely.
    Good point. I like the Vivian pronunciation, but the Vivienne spelling. I think I'd go with Vivian though.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Either Cara or Kara are fine.  I would use your mom's actual spelling for Vivian. 

• I like Kara Vivienne
  • srcr2011srcr2011 member
    edited September 2014
    I like the way "Cara" looks better than "Kara" but I feel Kara is closer to Karen.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Technically Kara isn't correct in terms of linguistics

K is not a native letter in Gaelic - you see it in some words but it is usually just because it has be borrowed from another language (therefore is a very new letter is use) for some reason the British Isles (if you discount English) really do not like the letter K.  when you are in the realm of Gaelic names and Celtic ones - always better to stick with the C 

• Technically Kara isn't correct in terms of linguistics

K is not a native letter in Gaelic - you see it in some words but it is usually just because it has be borrowed from another language (therefore is a very new letter is use) for some reason the British Isles (if you discount English) really do not like the letter K.  when you are in the realm of Gaelic names and Celtic ones - always better to stick with the C 
    I thought Cara was Italian/Latin?  At least it has the meaning the OP wants in those languages.  But K is also not often used in Romance languages.  I generally favor names beginning with C instead of K.  In my mind I hear Cara as CAR-a (which in my crummy Italian accent is how I pronounce it) and Kara as CARE-a.  I don't know if I'm weird or the spelling would affect pronunciation for others.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • capulet said:
    Technically Kara isn't correct in terms of linguistics

I thought Cara was Italian/Latin?  At least it has the meaning the OP wants in those languages.  But K is also not often used in Romance languages.  I generally favor names beginning with C instead of K.  In my mind I hear Cara as CAR-a (which in my crummy Italian accent is how I pronounce it) and Kara as CARE-a.  I don't know if I'm weird or the spelling would affect pronunciation for others.
    @capulet.
    I didn't realise it was also a Latin name, because it is also a Gaelic one (which is the usage I am most use to and aware of) 
    I would pronounce them both as Car-ah (I just had this conversation on another post) but then in the UK that is the only pronounciation used - the other just doesn't exist

• I would pronounce the name Kara like "Care-ah".
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Would you consider Ruby for a girl? I think Caleb & Ruby sound so sweet together! Ruby Vivienne is gorgeous. Ruby is a precious stone which I think is a really great meaning for a precious daughter, and an obvious nod to Ruben. 

I like Cara and Kara, but pronounce them differently. Cara is Car-uh while Kara is Care-uh. I prefer the pronunciation of Kara and it is more similar to Karen.

Just my 2 cents :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Would you consider Ruby for a girl? I think Caleb & Ruby sound so sweet together! Ruby Vivienne is gorgeous. Ruby is a precious stone which I think is a really great meaning for a precious daughter, and an obvious nod to Ruben. 

I like Cara and Kara, but pronounce them differently. Cara is Car-uh while Kara is Care-uh. I prefer the pronunciation of Kara and it is more similar to Karen.

Just my 2 cents :) 
    I actually thought of Ruby as well. I have a crazy great aunt named Ruby but that wouldn't matter to me. I agree with you, Kara is closer to Karen.
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I like the spelling Cara more. I pronounce it care-uh

A few more suggestions that have to do with love(c/o namberry)

Mila
    Freya
    Carys

I don't particularly like freya or carys but mila is great and sounds good with Caleb! Mila Vivian is nice.
  • I like the spelling Cara more. I pronounce it care-uh A few more suggestions that have to do with love(c/o namberry) Mila Freya Carys I don't particularly like freya or carys but mila is great and sounds good with Caleb! Mila Vivian is nice.
    I like Mila, I actually thought of Kara Vivian Mila. A long name, I know. My MIL is Amelia and thought it would be nice to incorporate her name in there somehow (for the sake of DH).
    imageimageimage

Married 8/22/09
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• 4N6s said:

Eh.

Ok. Really? If you aren't going to offer an actual opinion or finished thought, why even post?
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"